Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• I finally finished my series rewatch of JUSTIFIED. Such a great show, beginning to end. 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Watched Messiah.

A young man starts to gain notoriety with his preaching and appearances in various parts of the world, people star to proclaim him the second coming, the Messiah... various intelligence agencies suspect he may have sinister motives....

This was ok, it was a nice fresh idea, it's a pity it didn't find its audience, got cancelled after one season. 

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited November 2021
    Finished Metallica Masterclass. 

It was okay. I think it would be more meaningful to a musician and maybe some helpful information about egos in creating. They definitely talked a lot about teamwork that i guess they didn’t always have, do or appreciate.  

they spoke in very musical terms at times.  So, really a bit of a snooze fest. Unless you play and speak that language. 

I have a few masterclasses going, but found Ringo has one . Started that.  
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Finished Metallica Masterclass. 

It was okay. I think it would be more meaningful to a musician and maybe some helpful information about egos in creating. They definitely talked a lot about teamwork that i guess they didn’t always have, do or appreciate.  

they spoke in very musical terms at times.  So, really a bit of a snooze fest. Unless you play and speak that language. 

Hedda if you haven't seen the Documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" then give it a look, it shows Metallica in freefall, it's often cringe inducing and hilarious, the lack of teamwork is on full display. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:

Hedda if you haven't seen the Documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" then give it a look, it shows Metallica in freefall, it's often cringe inducing and hilarious, the lack of teamwork is on full display. 
    Okay. I am 30 minutes deep in this and my initial feeling — James is a dick. James was/is the problem. 

I may be wrong, but he is a totally narcissistic douche nozzle.  
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:

Okay. I am 30 minutes deep in this and my initial feeling — James is a dick. James was/is the problem. 

Yep, the only one who escapes unscathed in my opinion is Hammett, he comes across as a pretty reasonable guy, Hetfield and Ulrich seem to be egotistical jackasses... 
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • edited November 2021
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

Yep, the only one who escapes unscathed in my opinion is Hammett, he comes across as a pretty reasonable guy, Hetfield and Ulrich seem to be egotistical jackasses... 
    finished it. Now, i give huge credit to james for working hard to get himself straightened out. A lot of anger there. Self hate. I understood the band being frustrated with his long process. Lars was a selfish a hole who voiced his lack of compassion and support constantly. But again, i get the impatience, i just don’t get as a business person and friend why he wouldn’t want James back healthy. He’s no good to you lars if he is dead.  So yeah, pretty cold.  But, in the Masterclass, i see now why certain things  were said. The body language put forth. 

They are more supportive of the whole now. I think they managed to come out the other side with more appreciation for the human condition. 

now the question, were they a better band when everyone was a drugged and drunk asshole? Was the music  better?  Of course, they are older now too.  

Do they get the same respect now? The same passion? 

Thanks nb for letting me know about this doc. Definitely an interesting “rest of the story” to pair with the Masterclass. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2021
    And, speaking to your point about Hammett, late in the doc he mentions how his belief system is to be egoless. He said he works very hard to consciously lose that ego.  Not that he didn’t have an opinion or get angry or not like something and voice it, but he did it without ego — what was best for the song? The project? The band? That’s where he voiced any dissent,  not in the self stuff.  No me me me — it came from a place of us us us. What is best for us?
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2021
    Third episode of Dexter and the show has hit its stride. Multiple storylines that no doubt will converge into one at the climax. Harrison's true nature is still up for interpretation but he definitely has been through some tough times. Dexter struggling in an environment so different from the original series is fun to watch too.  Nice twist in this episode as well.

Finished the first three episodes of Wheel of Time. Still can't tell if it's good yet. It's fun to be in a position where I don't know the source material. I imagine this is what the average movie goer felt like when The Dark Tower movie came out.  The big issue I'm having with the show is the Magic Malleability problem - because there have been a couple of situations where characters are in mortal danger and then something magical happens to rescue them. These moments kill tension. Beautiful scenery though.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

now the question, were they a better band when everyone was a drugged and drunk asshole? Was the music  better?  Of course, they are older now too.  

Thanks nb for letting me know about this doc. Definitely an interesting “rest of the story” to pair with the Masterclass. 
    That's the million dollar question. For my part the answer would be yes, they were a better band in their wilder days, like myself, most of the guys I know who listen to them hold the first three albums up as the best, with some of the 4th album being pretty good too. After the 4th album things started to go south. They released the album "Metallica" also known as "The Black Album", I found it to be very mainstream and pedestrian, but it appealed to a much wider audience and sales went through the roof. They continued on in that vein, the younger kids lapped it up, but a lot of the old codgers like me pretty much gave up on them. If you go to a show they still play some of the old stuff to keep the older folks in the audience happy, I haven't gone to see them in years. These days they seems to be just resting on their laurels, they're incredibly successful but that old magic is definitely absent as far as I'm concerned. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Watched the first two episodes of the latest Marvel Empire Incursion of the Hawkeye series. Very much a light-hearted affair, takes place at Christmas in NYC. To give an idea of the tone of the series - the bad guys are called the Track Suit gang. Renner and Stanfield have good chemistry together.

The first episode references the Avengers movie - bit of a shock to realize that was back in 2012!

My how time flies.
    NotaroHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

That's the million dollar question. For my part the answer would be yes, they were a better band in their wilder days, like myself, most of the guys I know who listen to them hold the first three albums up as the best, with some of the 4th album being pretty good too. After the 4th album things started to go south. They released the album "Metallica" also known as "The Black Album", I found it to be very mainstream and pedestrian, but it appealed to a much wider audience and sales went through the roof. They continued on in that vein, the younger kids lapped it up, but a lot of the old codgers like me pretty much gave up on them. If you go to a show they still play some of the old stuff to keep the older folks in the audience happy, I haven't gone to see them in years. These days they seems to be just resting on their laurels, they're incredibly successful but that old magic is definitely absent as far as I'm concerned. 
    I think you are right. All that youthful testosterone calmed down and now they are phoning it in. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    I'm up to episode 5 in season six of Shetland, really enjoying it. I think the show has been consistently strong throughout the seasons. 
    There damn well better be a season seven after the way they ended six!
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    I'm up to episode 5 in season six of Shetland, really enjoying it. I think the show has been consistently strong throughout the seasons. 
    As the credits rolled at the end of the last episode the BBC announcer said it would be returning for another season next year. 
    GNTLGNTBevVincentHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    As the credits rolled at the end of the last episode the BBC announcer said it would be returning for another season next year. 
    There would have been a case for justifiable homicide if there wasn't!
    GNTLGNTNotaroKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • The finale of The Great British Baking Show was good -- any one of the three could have been a winner, but the chosen person had excelled throughout the contest.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Neesy said:
    This was a movie but it was on TV so I'll count it as a TV show (if that's okay?) A movie with Karen Allen and Jeff Bridges was on, called Starman [directed by John Carpenter and produced by Michael Douglas]

It's a nice little movie - I remember watching it back in the 80s for the first time. Even today it still stands up.

Jeff was nominated for an academy award but lost out to the guy who played Amadeus
    (Ya - I Googled) - there was one scene near the end where I couldn't figure out if it was Kiowa helicopters or Twin Hueys - still didn't get any answer!

...did some looking, don't know if this helps.....

When the large Sikorsky helicopter (a model never used by the US Army, in spite of its markings) lands at the airfield, that airfield is the Tennessee Army National Guard's Army Aviation Support Facility #1 (AASF #1) at the Smyrna, TN airport. Among the helicopters in the background is an Army UH-1H "Huey" painted both white and olive drab. That particular Huey was outfitted with airline seats and other amenities for use by the Tennessee governor. With a nod toward the tradition of Tennessee moonshine, it was known as "White Lightning." [Source: Personal knowledge as a pilot in the TNARNG when "Starman" was filmed there and flew "White Lightning" numerous times from that airfield.]

....also, Sikorsky S61's were used......plus a number of Huey's.....

Cool! Thanks for looking that up - we had a lot of twin Hueys on the airfield when I worked at an air base in Trenton, Ontario back in the '80s. Now they are using CH-146 Griffons (or so the internet tells me)
    I was a Supply Tech for 424 Squadron (Search and Rescue)

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Yellowjackets is very interesting and the ensemble cast is good. Only a couple episodes in, but I’ll ride along, see where they take me. 

I get showtime on my cable — i did not realize because i paid for showtime, i could get showtimeanytime at no extra cost too.  Added that and now i’ve opened a whole big playlist of stuff i missed. 

First up — Ray Donovan. I have been wanting to catch this for years.  Couldn’t without paying extra. Now i’ve got them all.  I’m so excited. 

Anyone watch this show — thoughts?

not_nadineFlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2021
    SO has been binging The 100.   :Seems like it's a good one from the little I look up and see.

OOps I just put a WFF in Deej's post!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTNeesy
  • SO has been binging The 100.   :Seems like it's a good one from the little I look up and see.

OOps I just put a WFF in Deej's post!
    WTF GIFs - Find amp Share on GIPHY
    not_nadineKurbenFlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarshaNeesy
  • A week of Getting Back and episodes 4.

Peter Jackson's Beatles documentary of their Let It Be album and rooftop concert is done in three parts and in a word is - fantastic. A real fly on the wall type of experience and it gave me goosebumps when you hear them breaking out now iconic songs for the first time. Paul comes across as a creative dynamo while John is preoccupied with Yoko. George is the pragmatist of the group and understandably chafes under the Lennon/McCartney duo. Ringo, or Richard as the other Beatles always called him, is the laid back guy everyone likes.  The band was actually on pretty good terms for most of the project. The energy level really picks up when Billy Preston shows up to play keyboards.  An amazing time capsule.

Ep 4 of Dexter and the shoe has dropped. Actually both shoes, as a reveal answers questions about another seemingly unrelated story line - that is now very relevant.

Ep 4 of Wheel of Time. More magic. More characters and still not enough context. The jury remains out.

Neesy