Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• edited November 2021
    I’ve been watching a lot of Dick Cavett shows. Super interesting historical pieces and a lot of foot-in-mouth moments that at the time were just part of the show, but knowing now things we didn’t know then  — yikes.  Stephen King has such a moment. But haven’t we all?

An interesting segment I watched on Truman Capote, he reveals he received hundreds of letters from John Wayne Gacy.  Where are these letters? Who inherited Capote’s estate and legacy? These letters would be fascinating to see now.   
    Notaronot_nadineMarshaGNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbenHollyGolightly
  • I feel like we will be unravelling the mysterious Mr. Capote for years. 

I've watched:
    Only Murders in the Building (loved)
    Selena + chef (loved)
    Nine Perfect Strangers (I like Liane Moriarty, so I knew this would be odd, but odd is good - fresh!)
    I think I'm over Great British Baking Show finally - they are beginning to seem like annoying Americans- I get plenty of that here. Thinking of starting Mares of Easttown.
    Wondering: should I ditch something and get AppleTV?
    What Happened Britney Murphy? (I still don't know)

FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNotaroMarshaGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2021
    Mares of Easttown was filmed in and around my hometown.  I really hope that I still don't carry that accent.  :o  Kate W said she had to work hard on it.   It was a good series thou
    NotaroMarshaHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • Has anyone watched The Cleaner? It’s a series on britbox and involves a crime scene cleaner. 

Thoughts?
    NotaroFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyMarshaGNTLGNT
  • ...have not seen it, but can imagine that even Mike Rowe would side-step the gig....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyNotaroMarsha
  • I have finally quit falling asleep to the Great British Baking Show, and currently fall asleep to World of Calm on HBO Max.  Last night Idris Elba lulled me to sleep talking about the planets and space and such.  Highly recommended.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTKurben
  • Yellowjackets — obviously Lord of the Flies, chick edition. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTKurbenHollyGolightly
  • Yes Midnight Mass, is an amazing series. A critic described it as the best non-Stephen King Stephen King series. The series has several powerful scenes - the trailer, the rowboat, the embrace/knife to name a few.

So Dexter:New Blood continues to introduce his son, Harrison, into Dexter's life. As expected the show continues to be coy if Harrison has his own Dark Passenger. There are some new humorous twists on age-old sayings ie like father, like son. An added bonus is the inclusion of Clancy Brown. Always great to see him in anything.
    Hedda GablerHollyGolightlyMarshaGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2021
    Oh, also been watching the new Chucky series. It's surprisingly good due to it's dark humor. Brad Dourif has returned to voice Chucky. The puppeteering and CGI are blended seamlessly to make Chucky eerily real. If you are easily offended, be advised of the language - Chucky frequently utters F-bombs, which I find quite humorous. Oh, it's also pretty gory.
    FlakeNoirHollyGolightlyMarshaGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Watched the first episode from Amazon's - Wheel Of Time. I've read the first book or two long ago but can't remember hardly anything. This felt very Peter Jackson in terms of the beautiful mountain landscape shots. A lot, and I mean a lot, of characters to keep track of already. There seems to be several branches of magic going on as well over which the Wheel Of Time seems to preside. 

It feels like a cousin to LOTR. There's even a - we can't control what happens in the world, we can only control how we act during our time on the world - reference. 

Too much to take in one episode but the money is definitely on the screen. The show intrigues enough to keep on watching.

Can't help but wish that King's - The Dark Tower - received this type of treatment on some streaming service. Maybe with another turn of the wheel - be it one of time or ka. Or both.
    MarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • I realized I'd missed S5 of Shetland, so I binged through that and am now impatiently awaiting the final episodes of S6.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyMarsha
  • I have this on britbox — since you stuck with it and anxious for more, i’m going to take that as a recommendation. 
    FlakeNoirHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTMarsha
  • It's really good. The first couple of seasons are short, but they expand to six-part seasons from then on. I need captions for much of it though--very thick Scottish and Shetland accents. Beautiful, rugged scenery, too.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTMarsha
  • I'm up to episode 5 in season six of Shetland, really enjoying it. I think the show has been consistently strong throughout the seasons. 
    BevVincentFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • edited November 2021
    I hear ya on the captions.  I have hearing issues as it is and then you throw in an accent of any kind, i’m doomed. 

Although, closed captioning can just be terrible. 
    Last night I watched the musical Scrooge! With Albert Finney — horrible, terrible, good for nothing subtitles. On youtube

At one point, they called Scrooge, “screw of our toilet.”  I’m looking at it thinking, okay, the guy’s name the whole movie has been Scrooge and now he’s Screw of our toilet ?  You aren’t even trying now. Then my next thought was, how do i get a job transcribing? 

The whole thing was riddled with nonsense. Tiny Tim sang a heartfelt song about “sucking” and at the end, Scrooge gave a “ sexy boy” money to go  ‘round to the turkey shop. 

I was beginning to think I turned into a movie called “Screwed.”
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTMarsha
  • edited November 2021
    And i have the receipts — i took screen shots to share with my sister because we love our Scrooge! The musical. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTMarsha
  • edited November 2021
    Oh and, during one song, San Jose got thrown in. I didn’t realize Dickens summered in San jose. Dionne Warwick, yes. When she got good directions. But chuck? No. 

And another goody, instead of tying up pretty packages with pretty bows, they were gonna use pretty bones. 

Intriguing. Does Hallmark sell Bags O’ Bones for gift wrapping purposes?  I’m all over that. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTMarsha
  • 😄😄😄
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenHollyGolightlyGNTLGNTMarsha
  • That was great!! @Hedda Gabler
     :D :D :D  
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerMarsha
  • ...I just want Deej to review EVERYTHING....... :D :D
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • It's really good. The first couple of seasons are short, but they expand to six-part seasons from then on. I need captions for much of it though--very thick Scottish and Shetland accents. Beautiful, rugged scenery, too.
    Notaro said:
    I'm up to episode 5 in season six of Shetland, really enjoying it. I think the show has been consistently strong throughout the seasons. 
    I realized i had seen the first two stories of Shetland as i started to watch — but third story onward i have not.  Will be popping in and out of that today. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • I will also be watching Metallica Masterclass and Cornell West’s Masterclass on philosophy today.  Plus reading Judy Blume books i picked up at the library. 

I must say, from one extreme to another, i try to be well rounded in my thinking, not just in my gut. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroGNTLGNTMarsha
  • We finished the current season of CALL THE MIDWIFE last night and also watched the 10-year retrospective. Always a fine show guaranteed to tug at the heartstrings.
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • Cornel West’s Masterclass was really interesting. I love philosophy so getting another perspective is always good.  I hate to be stagnant. 

Almost done with Metallica Masterclass. 
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir