Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• To be honest, I don't really remember all the details of that sequence.

We really enjoyed Emily in Paris -- it's quaint and charming. The Lily Collins (Phil Collins daughter) plays Emily as such an upbeat and charismatic character. One thing I really like is that none of the story relies on prolonged misunderstandings. Whenever there's something that might get misinterpreted, Emily confronts it headon. Ten half-hour episodes displaying all the beauty of Paris. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Drats! Now I'm going to have to go back and watch that last episode again because I don't know who did it.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Drats! Now I'm going to have to go back and watch that last episode again because I don't know who did it.
    Okay, I went back and watched and it was 

Eerik who killed his father Henrik. 

FlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNT
  • Continuing my gradual re-watch of COLUMBO. I'm in Season 3, which has a number of episodes I don't remember at all. Surprised to discover crime writer Mickey Spillane playing the part of the victim-of-the-week in one episode!
    MarshaNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Continuing my gradual re-watch of COLUMBO. I'm in Season 3, which has a number of episodes I don't remember at all. Surprised to discover crime writer Mickey Spillane playing the part of the victim-of-the-week in one episode!
    I love Columbo.  His cases are terribly flawed, so many holes to drive through, but I absolutely love Peter Falk. 

He needs to stop putting evidence in his pocket wrapped up in a Kleenex.  
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
    ....my Dad and I watched that episode when it was "brand new".....he was a big fan of both Peter Falk and The Mick.....thanks Bev for bringing to the fore another fond memory of my Pop.....
    BevVincentHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Still going through an old season of Downton Abbey - I think we're hooked.

It's on every day on CBC at 4 p.m. so I've been recording them.

We just saw the one where they go to Scotland (just before Mary has the baby) - that was a hoot! (Sad ending however)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2020
    I'm watching season 2 of Eli Roth's History of Horror. 

The latest episode was "Witches."

Of course, you know they are going to talk about The Blair Witch.  

Broken record that I am, I never liked this movie.  I started out liking it. The documentary feel talking to the townspeople was excellent.  I was invested.  While the lead girl was annoying as **** from the beginning, I understood her self importance -- by God, she was making a documentary! and she was the star!

I was with these 3 people up until the second night of shaky camera running through a dark forest with snot dripping and every other word a cussword.  Which believe me, I cuss like the sailor who invented sailor cussing -- but it just was so stiff.  It was overacted and they lost me.  Night after night, running through the dark forest screaming -- day after day, cussing each other out going for the edgy confrontation and coming off ridiculous.  Boring as hell.

Stephen King was so scared, he had to shut the movie off.  And I never understood this.  Until I watched this latest episode of HofH.  In it, Stephen says he was in the hospital on a lot of drugs when he watched it and it was just too much for him.  Now I get it.  Now I understand where he was coming from.

I did gain some appreciation for the movie after one of the actors told a little more about the making of the movie.  Apparently, they had no contact with the director or management of any kind. They were given a map and they were told to make it to a certain spot at a certain time.  So, the actors knew that something was going to be at each location, but they didn't know what. The acting wasn't scripted.  A certain reaction was asked for, but how they got there, what was said was up to them.  There were certain scene goals given to the actors for each point, but how they went about achieving the director's vision was pretty impromptu it sounds like.  If I understood him right.  

I can appreciate that creativity. I like that.  So, apparently the snot girl's up-the-nose light shot was a pretty honest reaction to what was going on around them.  

Knowing that does make me like what was happening much more.  I'm going to watch it again with this information and see if I can look at it with different eyes now.

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I'm watching season 2 of Eli Roth's History of Horror. 

The latest episode was "Witches."

Of course, you know they are going to talk about The Blair Witch.  

Broken record that I am, I never liked this movie.  I started out liking it. The documentary feel talking to the townspeople was excellent.  I was invested.  While the lead girl was annoying as **** from the beginning, I understood her self importance -- by God, she was making a documentary! and she was the star!

I was with these 3 people up until the second night of shaky camera running through a dark forest with snot dripping and every other word a cussword.  Which believe me, I cuss like the sailor who invented sailor cussing -- but it just was so stiff.  It was overacted and they lost me.  Night after night, running through the dark forest screaming -- day after day, cussing each other out going for the edgy confrontation and coming off ridiculous.  Boring as hell.

Stephen King was so scared, he had to shut the movie off.  And I never understood this.  Until I watched this latest episode of HofH.  In it, Stephen says he was in the hospital on a lot of drugs when he watched it and it was just too much for him.  Now I get it.  Now I understand where he was coming from.

I did gain some appreciation for the movie after one of the actors told a little more about the making of the movie.  Apparently, they had no contact with the director or management of any kind. They were given a map and they were told to make it to a certain spot at a certain time.  So, the actors knew that something was going to be at each location, but they didn't know what. The acting wasn't scripted.  A certain reaction was asked for, but how they got there, what was said was up to them.  There were certain scene goals given to the actors for each point, but how they went about achieving the director's vision was pretty impromptu it sounds like.  If I understood him right.  

I can appreciate that creativity. I like that.  So, apparently the snot girl's up-the-nose light shot was a pretty honest reaction to what was going on around them.  

Knowing that does make me like what was happening much more.  I'm going to watch it again with this information and see if I can look at it with different eyes now.

....I am of similar thinking Deej, and honestly thought the movie was just goofy....it had such possibility at the onset, but the true scare factor was diluted by overwrought reaction-spontaneous or no.....as someone who has wandered tracts of lonely woods over the years, that fear can be insidious and impossible to capture accurately......also, the ending was just completely lame.....I know some thought it was pure cinematic genius....really?.....a guy standing in a corner, looking like he was being punished by mommy cuz he'd been caught playing with his pee bug???....c'mon!....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited November 2020
    Yes, especially the lead girl— just over reaction and unbelievable. 

I also grew up in a forested area and i have felt terror,  I have experienced terror in the woods. 

It isn’t screaming like a bloated tea kettle— it’s quiet and urgent.   Of course, people will react different. I’d just like to point out — i’m alive and she’s dead. 

Yes she’s fictional, but still dead.

🧐😆
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I remember going to see Blair Witch when it came out, I was curious about it what with all the hype, I thought it was boring, I think it was the first found footage movie I had seen and I was just baffled as to how someone running around screaming "what the fcuk is that"  could be considered scary, my wife left about halfway through, aside from being bored she felt nauseated by the camera movements. For my money the movie The Last Broadcast was a far superior flick, might even have predated Blair Witch. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited November 2020
    Notaro said:
    I remember going to see Blair Witch when it came out, I was curious about it what with all the hype, I thought it was boring, I think it was the first found footage movie I had seen and I was just baffled as to how someone running around screaming "what the fcuk is that"  could be considered scary, my wife left about halfway through, aside from being bored she felt nauseated by the camera movements. For my money the movie The Last Broadcast was a far superior flick, might even have predated Blair Witch. 
    I’m going to look for that — the last broadcast. Would like to see this done right. 

The premise has potential but blair witch squandered it. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • It appears to be on amazon so next time i dog sit, i’ll check it out!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • It appears to be on amazon so next time i dog sit, i’ll check it out!
    It's up on YouTube Hedda... 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Oh super! I’ll watch this tonight.

and it came out a year before blair.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I hope you enjoy it Hedda. 🤞
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Yes, especially the lead girl— just over reaction and unbelievable. 

I also grew up in a forested area and i have felt terror,  I have experienced terror in the woods. 

It isn’t screaming like a bloated tea kettle— it’s quiet and urgent.   Of course, people will react different. I’d just like to point out — i’m alive and she’s dead. 

Yes she’s fictional, but still dead.

🧐😆
    ....I truly believe there are areas of special "power" in the woods, but I also believe that most of it is of the "white" variety....my heart is with the Native American shamans and the Great Spirit on this one.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • edited November 2020
    Notaro said:
    I hope you enjoy it Hedda. 🤞
    I watched this.  Very interesting how this was put together.

I wouldn't say it's exactly found footage. It's more like home movies shown to solve a case, like one of those crime shows. Everyone weighs in on what happened, why, who done it etc.....  It's more about current people analyzing the guys who did the videos. Interviewing others.  Talking to friends and family.  The end was a nice little shake up.  A documentary within a documentary sort of thing.

The Blair Witch was all about the found footage. No one commenting on it other than the 3 documentarians themselves. We strictly see things through their eyes.  

We get placards inserted giving us a set up, but we don't have real time people discussing it within the movie itself. 

Where it would be like The Last Broadcast is if someone found the Blair Witch tapes and then we had all the experts weigh in on it.  Friends and family talking about the individuals. The townspeople talking about the 3 kids who came to make a documentary.  The people discussing the crime, disappearances. THe police giving us updates on the case.

So, not exactly the same in my mind.

Still, I enjoyed the movie.  Creative.

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I ordered for myself Eli Roth's Season One of History of Horror on Blu-Ray.  Oh man!  It comes with extended interviews with many of the participants including Stephen King, and so much added extra material.  I am so excited to watch it.  
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTnot_nadine