Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• I've seen one season and enjoyed it.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I have been watching Away - it is low key, a bit predictable, but good for where I am at these days.  After Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul - I need some uplifting.  Josh Charles is in this.  I haven't seen him for ages.  Did anyone but me watch a movie about 25 years ago called Pie in the Sky?  That was cute.  He's related to Helen Hunt somehow - they look so much alike.

not_nadineNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I never thought Timothy Olyphant could do comedy, and it takes a couple of episodes to "get" the tone, but I liked it a lot. Alas, it was canceled. I didn't particularly like the direction it took in the final episode, so maybe that was for the best. Love Nathan Fillion's character, who is replaced by Alan Tudyk in the final season (both Firefly alums). I got to chat with Tudyk a bit about the series at Northern Fancon last year.
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited September 2020
    Every weekend I record the string of Ray Bradbury Theater episodes they offer.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited September 2020
    Finished up Ratched.   In looking at comments on the internet, it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love, more meh type reactions. 

I really liked it.  If you are going into it with expectations that it is like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, you are going to be disappointed.   It is wildly quirky, odd and very comic book/Oz like.  But that's what I loved about it.  I can't say enough about the coloring and I can't say enough about how the shots were framed up -- it seems obvious to me that they were very careful in what was shown and how they showed it.  Even a simple shot.  

I felt like there were little homages to other things all over, or maybe I was just reading that into it.  Maybe those things were just me.  There is an obvious Beaches moment with the two women for sure.  They did a great job with the period piece costuming, sets, characterizations and again with the coloring, bright and vivid -- because aren't the 40s the good old days? I think they went out of their way to try to make it bright and lush and clean to make us think that, while the words and actions of the people showed us it wasn't so.  It was all pretend.

Why Nurse Ratched is the way she is goes back to an overused excuse, but it works here because the story is weird.  And while I do not like Sarah Paulson's acting -- her one-trick-pony flat affect works perfect here.  She was perfect.  And to compare her with Louise Fletcher's portrayal, Sarah starts out with big bright eyes that end up slivered down to Louise's very hateful glare.  Sarah's N.R. shows someone who does have feelings and who does care, even if it is for her own benefit.  And sometimes, she does care about someone else just because.  Louise's N.R. has lost all humanity.   I thought this series was a very unique and creative prequel to the bitter, vile bitch she becomes.

Some storylines were great, but not wrapped up as nicely as I would've liked.  But, I still really liked this.

They have left it where a season two is possible. I would definitely watch.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTSundrop
  • edited September 2020
    I'm not a big Sharon Stone fan either, but her part in this, very Cruella DeVille, was great fun. I absolutely loved her home, the sets and props in her home were fabulous.
    FlakeNoirNeesyNotaroGNTLGNTSundrop
  • Watching this Polish entry on Netflix, Signs.

So far, it's okay.  I'm bored and it's working for me.  But man!  If I was Polish, I wouldn't be wildly happy with how it portrays me.  It's pretty rough.  Once again, very bleak.  Nothing is updated or modern.  Everything looks run down, broken, rusted, and you know it smells like mold and mildew. bwhahaha.

I wouldn't mess with a Polish man or woman for nothing.  They would give you a good beat down without blinking an eye.  According to this series.

Every human vice is showcased in every episode.

A second season of Signs dropped on Netflix.  I'm really debating whether I'm all that interested.  At the moment, I'm not feeling it.  But who knows what tomorrow brings.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTSundrop
  • I'm hanging in to the end with Lovecraft Country.

I'm having a hard time with this one.  There are moments of interesting story telling and then there aren't.  

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTSundrop
  • Not really a TV show or series but Josh and I watched The Emmys last night. We are fans of Schitt's Creek so when they started winning every single Emmy we were blown away - I think they made history last night - they won the first seven Emmys announced.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatSundrop
  • Lots of proud Canadians, today! My wife and I started watching Schitt's Creek and couldn't get past the second episode.
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNeesySundrop
  • Lots of proud Canadians, today! My wife and I started watching Schitt's Creek and couldn't get past the second episode.
    You got further than me.  I didn't get through the first episode.
    NotaroBevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNeesySundrop
  • I love Schitt's Creek! I tease my kids by doing the overexaggerated accent or diction or whatever you want to call it that Catherine O'Hara does in her role. It makes me laugh. I am watching on Netflix and am in middle of season 5. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesySundrop
  • Had to find something new Scott and I can watch together. We started Shameless last night. I was not sure about it at first but it seems to be growing on me. We watched 3 eps last night. There are 10 seasons on Netflix so that should keep us busy a while. 😆
  • We have only one episode of AWAY left. It's a little gushy at times, but there's plenty of action to keep us interested.
  • Been watching season one of a German show called Dark, it's a weird one for sure, I'm enjoying it but Netflix has the dubbed version up and I would much prefer it in it's original German language, apart from that minor quibble I like it.

FlakeNoirNeesyHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatSundrop
  • edited September 2020
    You can switch to German with English subtitles* -- I highly recommend that. The show is fantastic, but it requires a high degree of attention because it gets very, very twisty. Matching various versions (younger/older) of each character is the main challenge. After I finished the final season, I went back and watched the first season over again and it made so much more sense! Don't be tempted to look things up online, though, because there are spoilers aplenty!

* We use Apple TV to watch -- if you hold the big round button in the middle while it's playing, you get the option to change languages.
    FlakeNoirNotaroNeesyHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatSundrop
  • edited September 2020
    I've watched the first 2 seasons of Dark and need to get on the third.  I will definitely have to watch the last episode of season 2 to refresh my memory where I left off.  It is very twisty as Bev says.

I watch every foreign show in the language it was filmed in with English subtitles. 

I tried to watch a Bordertown with English dubbing -- it was horrible.  Sounded like me and my neighbors trying to put on a play in the barn with no rehearsals -- totally messed up the show.  

I can't imagine not hearing the actors real voices doing their parts.  I can read.  I'll read to keep the integrity of the art.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircatSundropNeesy
  • We've started watching Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's Long Way Up trip on Apple TV. I just adore these motorcycle trips, their interactions are priceless and the obstacles they have to overcome each time have surely helped shape these people into who they are today. 

Highly recommend that if you start watching these, you go back to their very first trip Long Way Round
    GNTLGNTNotarocatHedda GablerSundropNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    We've started watching Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's Long Way Up trip on Apple TV. I just adore these motorcycle trips, their interactions are priceless and the obstacles they have to overcome each time have surely helped shape these people into who they are today. 

Highly recommend that if you start watching these, you go back to their very first trip Long Way Round
    I hope this comes on a platform I have so I can see it.  Loved the Long Way Round.
    catGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited September 2020
    My family I'm dog sitting for have Amazon Prime.  So, I've tried to watched Fleabag.  I've tried.  It's won awards.  People love it.

I guess I'm just not cool enough to appreciate it.  Maybe it's one of those that if you watch enough episodes, you're hooked.  After one and a half episodes, I'm not hooked.
    catGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirSundropNeesy
  • My family I'm dog sitting for have Amazon Prime.  So, I've tried to watched Fleabag.  I've tried.  It's won awards.  People love it.

I guess I'm just not cool enough to appreciate it.  Maybe it's one of those that if you watch enough episodes, you're hooked.  After one and a half episodes, I'm not hooked.
    SAG Awards 2020 Fleabag Best Moments  PEOPLEcom
    NotarocatFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • My family I'm dog sitting for have Amazon Prime.  So, I've tried to watched Fleabag.  I've tried.  It's won awards.  People love it.

I'm not sure I got through the first episode.
    FlakeNoirSundropHedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Finished up Ratched.   In looking at comments on the internet, it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love, more meh type reactions. 

I really liked it.  If you are going into it with expectations that it is like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, you are going to be disappointed.   It is wildly quirky, odd and very comic book/Oz like.  But that's what I loved about it.  I can't say enough about the coloring and I can't say enough about how the shots were framed up -- it seems obvious to me that they were very careful in what was shown and how they showed it.  Even a simple shot.  

I felt like there were little homages to other things all over, or maybe I was just reading that into it.  Maybe those things were just me.  There is an obvious Beaches moment with the two women for sure.  They did a great job with the period piece costuming, sets, characterizations and again with the coloring, bright and vivid -- because aren't the 40s the good old days? I think they went out of their way to try to make it bright and lush and clean to make us think that, while the words and actions of the people showed us it wasn't so.  It was all pretend.

Why Nurse Ratched is the way she is goes back to an overused excuse, but it works here because the story is weird.  And while I do not like Sarah Paulson's acting -- her one-trick-pony flat affect works perfect here.  She was perfect.  And to compare her with Louise Fletcher's portrayal, Sarah starts out with big bright eyes that end up slivered down to Louise's very hateful glare.  Sarah's N.R. shows someone who does have feelings and who does care, even if it is for her own benefit.  And sometimes, she does care about someone else just because.  Louise's N.R. has lost all humanity.   I thought this series was a very unique and creative prequel to the bitter, vile bitch she becomes.

Some storylines were great, but not wrapped up as nicely as I would've liked.  But, I still really liked this.

They have left it where a season two is possible. I would definitely watch.
    I'm not a big Sharon Stone fan either, but her part in this, very Cruella DeVille, was great fun. I absolutely loved her home, the sets and props in her home were fabulous.
    Totally agree with you about both points.  I'd definitely watch a second season.  
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy

I try to give every series three episodes before I ditch it. Try being the key word.  Sometimes, I can't get through one. 
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy