Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• Oh man. Midnight Diner is so sad sometimes. 

Their attitude about sex, sexuality is interesting. They seem to be very open about it on one hand, but shy and giggly on the other. 

I absolutely love the song that opens each episode. 

I would try all the food they make. 

We find out that the scar was caused by peanut abacus guy, but no details. 

@BevVincent — after they eat, they always say, “thanks for the food” as they leave, slight bow.  Of course, I would hope all of us say thank you to our servers at restaurants, but this is very ritualistic and exact wording to the Master. Is this part of proper Japanese custom and  culture? 

The word is "Itadakimasu," pronounced "eat-a-docky-maass" ("I humbly receive"), which I always remember by the mnemonic "eat a duck and mouse"! The equivalent of "bon appetit." I haven't heard it all that much in my real world experiences with Japanese dining, but I don't think I was attuned to it until after watching this show. Now I hear it more often, especially in other Japanese shows. I'm always amused by the variety of ways the word is translated in the captions. Rarely the same way twice. Click the link for more about it, including its proper use and pronunciation.

The theme song is "Omoide (思ひで)" by Ludens, sung by Tsunekichi Suzuki. I have an album of his music, but this is by far his best song.

The diner is in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo. There is a thriving trade in sex shows and hostess clubs in the area. Shinjuku Station is the world's largest and busiest. I've been in it many times.

I've never heard of the three drink maximum and I can't find anything about it online. Japan is very, very strict about drink driving. Virtually any alcohol at all is an offence (0.03 vs 0.08 in many other parts of the world--half a glass of beer will do it).

If you do get water at a restaurant, it's a tiny glass, in my experience. But, yes, they are heavy drinkers for sure. It is routine to go out for drinks after work before taking a train home.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir

Their attitude about sex, sexuality is interesting. They seem to be very open about it on one hand, but shy and giggly on the other. 

@BevVincent — after they eat, they always say, “thanks for the food” as they leave, slight bow.  Of course, I would hope all of us say thank you to our servers at restaurants, but this is very ritualistic and exact wording to the Master. Is this part of proper Japanese custom and  culture? 

The word is "Itadakimasu," pronounced "eat-a-docky-maass" ("I humbly receive"), which I always remember by the mnemonic "eat a duck and mouse"! The equivalent of "bon appetit." I haven't heard it all that much in my real world experiences with Japanese dining, but I don't think I was attuned to it until after watching this show. Now I hear it more often, especially in other Japanese shows. I'm always amused by the variety of ways the word is translated in the captions. Rarely the same way twice. Click the link for more about it, including its proper use and pronunciation.

The theme song is "Omoide (思ひで)" by Ludens, sung by Tsunekichi Suzuki. I have an album of his music, but this is by far his best song.

The diner is in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo. There is a thriving trade in sex shows and hostess clubs in the area. Shinjuku Station is the world's largest and busiest. I've been in it many times.

I've never heard of the three drink maximum and I can't find anything about it online. Japan is very, very strict about drink driving. Virtually any alcohol at all is an offence (0.03 vs 0.08 in many other parts of the world--half a glass of beer will do it).

If you do get water at a restaurant, it's a tiny glass, in my experience. But, yes, they are heavy drinkers for sure. It is routine to go out for drinks after work before taking a train home.
    I will read more on this. Thank you. 

The song, i looked up translated lyrics and much prefer not knowing. I fill in that music with my own lyrical thoughts.  It’s beautiful and I listen to it a lot. Not familiar with his other music. 

Getting ready to start season 3 and then will move onto Tokyo Stories.  Might look into the 2 movies but not sure I will. I very much like staying at the diner — we go off into the world briefly during occasional episodes and i like that format. Maybe I don’t really want to learn too more outside that diner? My feelings change. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Seven Gods live in one grain of rice. 

That was an interesting read.  My new things learned today. 
    GNTLGNT
  • Just started this. Please tell me he wasn’t having an affair. Every damn show, someone is having an affair. Yes, I understand suspense and thrillers have to have secrets, but always affairs? Or the cop is undercover, or gone rogue crookedy.  

Can we find some new secrets? 
    No affair.  And the protagonist is more complicated than we are first led to believe.
    That makes me happy. I want these men and women to be faithful partners. It’s a nice change of pace.
    GNTLGNT

I will read more on this. Thank you. 

The song, i looked up translated lyrics and much prefer not knowing. I fill in that music with my own lyrical thoughts.  It’s beautiful and I listen to it a lot. Not familiar with his other music. 

Getting ready to start season 3 and then will move onto Tokyo Stories.  Might look into the 2 movies but not sure I will. I very much like staying at the diner — we go off into the world briefly during occasional episodes and i like that format. Maybe I don’t really want to learn too more outside that diner? My feelings change. 
    *too MUCH more
    GNTLGNT
  • It's not a lot -- we get to see him biking from home to the market, things like that to show he really does exist outside the restaurant. Plus a character shows up in Tokyo Stories who is introduced in the movies. Without that, she's even more of a mystery.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Just a thought @BevVincent — i know you and Keene are writing another book where you exchange playlists. It’s probably too late now, but send him Omoide. Let his dark soul (😄) give a good think on that one.  

I just can’t love it more. 
    GNTLGNT
  • Yeah, we've already exchanged our lists.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited January 2023
    Last episode of MD, a woman orders cutlets. These things are huge! And she picks the whole thing up with chopsticks. Do the Japanese not have knives outside the kitchen? 
    GNTLGNT
  • They will give you a knife if you ask for one, but generally it's chopsticks and a spoon for soup. And the way they eat noodles...
    GNTLGNT
  • Okay. This is just too damn weird. i am seriously unnerved by this.  I made my comment about SK’s Holly before I even started this episode. 

Just started the third season of Midnight Diner. 

The food critic’s wife is in the hospital — she tells her husband to look out window at a tree and tells him, “when the last leaf falls, I think I’ll go with it too”

The universe is fucking with me. 

GNTLGNT
  • They will give you a knife if you ask for one, but generally it's chopsticks and a spoon for soup. And the way they eat noodles...
    I know!!!! 
    The men are very enthusiastic. The women appear more dainty in their manners??
    GNTLGNT
  • Finished Woman of the Dead.  Overall, decent affair. The Austrian Alps - you should check this one out for the scenery, Bev - make for beautiful backgrounds.

Series presents an interesting protagonist and ended with the glimmer of a possible second season but it's probably for the best to end as is. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Finished Woman of the Dead.  Overall, decent affair. The Austrian Alps - you should check this one out for the scenery, Bev - make for beautiful backgrounds.

Series presents an interesting protagonist and ended with the glimmer of a possible second season but it's probably for the best to end as is. 
    Still working my way through .  And i agree, the settings are  just gorgeous. I love foreign shows so much for this reason alone. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenLou_Sytsma
  • Watched 1883, (loooved it) watching 1923 (waaaaiting for the next episode) and will watch Yellowstone at the completion of 1923.
    All brilliant so far.

Currently watching an Australian series: "Colin From Accounts". So bloody funny.😂
    Heart-warming too.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • We loved 1883 -- waiting for more of 1923 to be available before diving in.

Starting Poker Face soon.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • edited January 2023
    We loved 1883 -- waiting for more of 1923 to be available before diving in.

Starting Poker Face soon.
    Isn't it fabulous? (1883) Incredibly emotional and raw. The story telling is brilliant, the cast perfect.
    I felt a deep connection to the lessons told, just by being human, I think. It made me thankful to be above ground, I'm not often moved to that degree by something I've watched. 
    Highly recommended. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I was very impressed by Faith Hill and Tim McGraw's acting, too.
    GNTLGNT
  • Because of the buzz here and my wife's willingness to revisit, watched my first episode of Shetland. Quite enjoyable, especially the setting which echoes the same vibes as the Canadian Maritimes, especially Newfoundland.
    BevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Because of the buzz here and my wife's willingness to revisit, watched my first episode of Shetland. Quite enjoyable, especially the setting which echoes the same vibes as the Canadian Maritimes, especially Newfoundland.
    LooooovvvvevShetland. 
    GNTLGNT
  • ....wrapped up the first season of Tulsa King, and found it gritty, funny and engaging in equal measures.....
    Hedda Gabler
  • Poker Face is a scream -- the fourth episode is absolutely metal.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Finished S1 of Shetland- only two episodes. Digging the characters but found the reveal tough to swallow because
    Spoiler:
    of the identity of the perpetrator.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Poker Face is a scream -- the fourth episode is absolutely metal.
    I’m waiting for this one to completely load. Girl Columbo — I must see. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • @BevVincent — i am watching Niki Nakayama’s Masterclass.  

“Niki Nakayama is a Japanese-American chef and the owner of Michelin-starred n/naka restaurant in Los Angeles, specializing in modern Japanese kaiseki cuisine.”

I wish I would have watched it before watching Midnight Diner.  There are reasons for everything they do in traditional Japanese cooking. Like, they will not serve anything on a plate in 4’s. Not 4 cucumber slices, not 4 carrot pieces, not 4 cutlets — nothing. 4 is bad luck. 

And the reason the people hold the bowls up to their faces and shovel the food in is because smell is huge. It’s not only the taste, they want the strong smells. It is important to the dish.  

She’s interesting and Japanese take their meal preparation very very serious. Lots of little insights. So, she talks about tradition but adds her modern spin to it. One major thing she does that is not often found in traditional cooking is the use of herbs and spices. Many Japanese chefs are not good teachers. They are jealous and keep their skills to themselves. Not much for helping the new chefs coming up. 

I’m going to pay close attention to the Master’s plating now. 

And at the opening, it shows the Master slicing a  large Daikon radish that he cuts like someone trying to peel an apple in one long snake. Apparently this is one of the first things they learn how to do as a chef. 

She takes food quality and safety from contamination seriously too. 

And yes, as we see in Midnight Diner, food is prepared differently depending on regions. But some basics and superstitions are practiced across the board.  

GNTLGNTFlakeNoir