Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Watched Renfield.

While out looking for potential victims for his master, Dracula's long suffering manservant Renfield stmbles across a self help group for people in toxic relationships.......he decides it's time to break free....

Enjoyable comedy/horror, Nicolas Cage chews up the scenery as Dracula, ably supported by Nicholas Hoult as the long suffering Renfield. Its certainly an original take on the story, worth a look.

FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Watched Renfield.

While out looking for potential victims for his master, Dracula's long suffering manservant Renfield stmbles across a self help group for people in toxic relationships.......he decides it's time to break free....

Enjoyable comedy/horror, Nicolas Cage chews up the scenery as Dracula, ably supported by Nicholas Hoult as the long suffering Renfield. Its certainly an original take on the story, worth a look.

It looks good! (Flakes' Friendly 😆)
    KurbenGNTLGNTNotaroHedda Gabler
  • Powerful... it'll make me bawl. 
    BevVincentKurbenGNTLGNTNotaroHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Powerful... it'll make me bawl. 
    A good bawl now and then aint a bad thing......
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • .....soooo, Mark doesn't turn green and smash things in this?.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Saw Warlock. An old western (1959) that i havent seen before. Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn and Richard Widmark in the leads. Terrorized town decide to hire a gunman (Fonda) as a semilegal marshal to keep order in the town. The sheriff in the neighboring town decides instead to appoint a member of the town (Widmark) as Warlocks sheriff. Good but not up there with the 50,s best westerns like Rio Bravo and a few more.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Saw Guns Of Diablo (1964) with Charles Bronson in the lead. A funny thing about this one is that his main costar is Kurt Russell as a cute blond child. Seeing this and then thinking about him in Blade Runner does not compute! Both are good though here. Female lead is Susan Oliver that is Bronsons love interest and saves her from the grip of three evil brothers. at the same time trying to keep the boy from getting hurt while he only wants to help....  
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Kurben said:
    Saw Guns Of Diablo (1964) with Charles Bronson in the lead. A funny thing about this one is that his main costar is Kurt Russell as a cute blond child. Seeing this and then thinking about him in Blade Runner does not compute! Both are good though here. Female lead is Susan Oliver that is Bronsons love interest and saves her from the grip of three evil brothers. at the same time trying to keep the boy from getting hurt while he only wants to help....  
    ...Kurb, are you thinking of Soldier?....I don't recall Kurt being in Blade Runner....Soldier is supposed to be a pseudo homage to Runner I guess....
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gabler
  • edited April 2023
    I watched Just a Gigolo, a 1978 film with David Bowie and Marlene Dietrich.
    I so badly wanted this to be good, but it was terrible. Disjointed, awful acting and dubbing and the music! Benny Hill moments all throughout the movie. It constantly fell into slapstick comedy, but I'm not sure it was always intentional. 
    I think David did alright, he was definitely the strongest character (totally not biased🤔😃) but it was a shocker, really. 
    This aside.... I still very much enjoyed the experience of watching.  I want to see everything he's ever done. Loyal to the end, is me. ❤️
    KurbenGNTLGNTNotaroHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Saw Guns Of Diablo (1964) with Charles Bronson in the lead. A funny thing about this one is that his main costar is Kurt Russell as a cute blond child. Seeing this and then thinking about him in Blade Runner does not compute! Both are good though here. Female lead is Susan Oliver that is Bronsons love interest and saves her from the grip of three evil brothers. at the same time trying to keep the boy from getting hurt while he only wants to help....  
    ...Kurb, are you thinking of Soldier?....I don't recall Kurt being in Blade Runner....Soldier is supposed to be a pseudo homage to Runner I guess....
    I was mixing up movies.... I was thinking of Escape from New York. Not much likeness i know but somehow the names got mixed up....
  • Saw Big Kill (2018), a western with Lou Diamond Phillips and Jason Patric as two rather colorful villains that run a city when two cowboys that drifted from town to town until they been run out of them comes there. They are not as memorable characters as the villains which makes the movie a bit unbalanced. Also a bit too long, the director was a bit top fond of long scenes of them riding through an admittedly very beautiful landscape which sloes the pace it would have needed. Still OK.
  • edited April 2023
    We watched Where the Crawdads Sing. A bit of a "Mockingbird" feel to it. We were very surprised by the ending.
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I watched Just a Gigolo, a 1978 film with David Bowie and Marlene Dietrich.
    I so badly wanted this to be good, but it was terrible. Disjointed, awful acting and dubbing and the music! Benny Hill moments all throughout the movie. It constantly fell into slapstick comedy, but I'm not sure it was always intentional. 
    I think David did alright, he was definitely the strongest character (totally not biased🤔😃) but it was a shocker, really. 
    This aside.... I still very much enjoyed the experience of watching.  I want to see everything he's ever done. Loyal to the end, is me. ❤️
    Agree 100% Flakes, it was bloody awful, he did his part well though. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • We watched Where the Crawdads Sing. A bit of a "Mockingbird" feel to it. We were very surprised by the ending.
    I enjoyed the book. No desire to see the movie. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroLou_Sytsma
  • edited April 2023
    I re-watched Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. A (1983) Japanese prisoner of war (WWII) film starring Ryuichi Sakamoto, Tom Conti and David Bowie. 
    I felt just as moved on this viewing as I did when I watched it as a teen. Powerful performances throughout. The fight scenes do (and did) let the film down a little, but the story carries it well enough not to matter.
    This was one of David's best performances in my view.
    The score to this moves me viscerally and sends me back in time, whenever I hear it.
    Interestingly, it was written by Sakamoto, who was a composer and also played Captain Yonoi in the movie.  (I've just read that he passed away last month. 🥹 R.I.P such a talented man.)
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerKurben
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I re-watched Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. A (1983) Japanese prisoner of war (WWII) film starring Ryuichi Sakamoto, Tom Conti and David Bowie. 
    I felt just as moved on this viewing as I did when I watched it as a teen. Powerful performances throughout. The fight scenes do (and did) let the film down a little, but the story carries it well enough not to matter.
    This was one of David's best performances in my view.
    The score to this moves me viscerally and sends me back in time, whenever I hear it.
    Interestingly, it was written by Sakamoto, who was a composer and also played Captain Yonoi in the movie.  (I've just read that he passed away last month. 🥹 R.I.P such a talented man.)
    Great movie Fkakes, I remember seeing it back when it was released, I think this and The Man Who Fell To Earth are his best performances. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Watched Evil Dead Rise.

The book of the dead turns up in a basement of an old apartment building, after an incantation is read the demons are unleashed and a single mom and her kids must battle to escape the building.

Sufficiently bonkers entry into the Evil Dead franchise, this is great fun, gore galore with a good dollop of humour.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Watched The Legend Of Tarzan (2016). I think it was OK, Alexander Skarsgård was OK in the titlerole but the best actor for me was Margot Robbie as Jane. A more sassy jane than usual. And, as usual, Christopher Waltz is good at playing the bad guy.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • .....Margot.....*swoon*.....
    Hedda GablerKurbenNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Those Who Wish Me Dead - 2021 movie by Taylor Sheridan starring Angeline Jolie and Jon Bernthal.  Sheridan of Yellowstone and the excellent Wind River is definitely in a groove. This is a lessor work IMO than Wind River but it's still very good.

The boy actor, Finn Little, who also plays Carter on Yellowstone steals the movie. His role is a difficult one and he plays it with amazing depth and nuance.

Finn Little from Game of Thrones and Nick Hoult, as the baddies, round out an excellent cast.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Those Who Wish Me Dead - 2021 movie by Taylor Sheridan starring Angeline Jolie and Jon Bernthal.  Sheridan of Yellowstone and the excellent Wind River is definitely in a groove. This is a lessor work IMO than Wind River but it's still very good.

The boy actor, Finn Little, who also plays Carter on Yellowstone steals the movie. His role is a difficult one and he plays it with amazing depth and nuance.

Finn Little from Game of Thrones and Nick Hoult, as the baddies, round out an excellent cast.
    Based on the novel by Michael Koryta.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • Watched The Black Demon.

An unscrupulous oil company causes the ruination of a fishing village, a local aquatic legend attacks the company's oil rig and any boats that venture near it. A company inspector and his family become trapped on the rig and must try to escape.

Didn't enjoy this one, it's too scrappy and its too dumb even for me, it doesn't know whether it wants to be a horror movie or an ecologigical message......plus the lead actor Josh Lucas wildly overacts making it all farcical.

GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....I watched the trailer, and it just screamed "DUMB"!......
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Watched Arrival with Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whittaker. Good actors, well made but somehow i feel it is too clever for its own good. It has been praised but this is not really for me.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir