Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Let me know what you think of The Menu. I'm trying to decide if it's something my wife would like to see, too, but I'm thinking it might be too dark/violent. I haven't read anything about it, so I'd like to go in fairly cold.
    I liked it. There is violence. But not in a slasher way. The very first scene of violence is pretty in your face, but it is quick and clean. Think of an efficient and professional Chef environment. Other things happen but it isn’t lingering gore. 

it is an odd movie and you have to suspend disbelief for the sake of “art.”  But I did find it intriguing. Different. I would firmly place the feel they were going for in the Avant garde style of high art and a misunderstood artist who is delivering an experience — 

Again, odd but something about it is fascinating. I used to watch all the chef shows, cooking programs, contests for best chef — I think that made me appreciate it more. 

GNTLGNTBevVincentFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • We really liked She Said on Peacock, about the investigative reporters who broke the Harvey Weinstein story.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • 80 For Brady looks cute and funny. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • edited January 2023
    The Pale Blue Eye. Netflix

It was okay. I did think the guy they got for Edgar was perfect. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • Avatar - The Way of Water. What's that saying - Don't bet against James Cameron?

He proves it again. Amazing display of craft and world building married to four quadrant story telling.
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • So @BevVincent — thoughts on The Menu?
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • It's---dare I say---delicious.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNotaroNeesy
  • 😄

did your wife watch and was my assessment within her ballpark?
    GNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • I didn't want to read too much about it to decide whether it would be her cup of tea or not, so she didn't see it.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNotaroNeesy
  • Watched Ice Quake. A disaster movie about enormous amount of methane coming to the surface causing quakes, avalanches and geysers to erupt. Brendan Fehr in the lead (never heard of) and he spends most of the movie running around in a snowy mountain with his wife and two kids telling them all will be allright. It wasn't a disaster (he-he) but it wasn't really good either but if you like me kinda like disaster movies you can watch it. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • I have got to see this

• Watched The Flood. An enormous flood overtakes London without warning. Some well known names in this one. Tom Hardy, David Suchet, Ropert Carlyle, Joanne Whalley but it was three hours long which was waaaay too much. If the makers had managed to cut an hour or a little more they might have had a suspenseful disaster movie, As it is they don't.
  • Watched Air Force One Is Down. Based on a novel by Alistair Maclean. Very uneven author. Some real good, some crappy. This is full of twists and turns in every corner. Too many axtually for my taste. Also too long  but full of action. I liked the woman who played a russian spy with a cover as a CIA agent with a cover as a journalist. Watchable but not more.
  • Watched Global Meltdown. A disaster movie. Leanne Young as the scientist that understand the signs and manage to persuade the little society (250 souls)she is at the time that they must evacuate or die. And Michael Pare as the asocial prepper guy that doesn't like her shouldering the leadership and is a good bad guy in the movie. Quite decent. Only 87 minutes but this was a movie that told a story and then ended. A big plus.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Watched Doomsday Prophecy....  That is i started to watch it. It was absolutely horrible. Even i, that has a low bar when it comes to disaster movies, had to admit it is a piece of crap through and through. A.J. Buckley in the lead. One of the worst movies i ever seen! They didn't even manage to make the special effects worth watching. Sigh....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Watched All Quiet On The Western Front. The german movie that was nominated for an Oscar recently. It is actually quite good. No heroes here, just death. Not a feel good movie, rather the opposite because it is not uplifting seeing young men running across fields to be moved down by machine guns. But we also see the contrast between the politicians and generals lifestyle and the soldiers. Also the friendship between the soldiers is well portrayed. Good war movie.
  • I'm a sucker for anything with Jennifer Aniston

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • edited February 2023
    We watched Sam & Kate on Peacock last night. Stars Dustin Hoffman and his son Jake, Sissy Spacek and her daughter Schuyler Fisk. A cute movie about people getting older and people falling in love. (Fisk also played a young Ruth Deaver -- Spacek's character -- on Castle Rock).
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Rewatched....Ghosts Of Mars.
    Damn....I really want to like this movie, I love Carpenter, I've watched it a few times over the years, good cast but it's just a lazy storyline, no real effort put into it. Calling it mediocre is being generous, so I'll just call it bad.

Rewatched, In The Mouth Of Madness.
    I think this is Carpenter's last truly great movie, everything works here, recommended to those who haven't seen it.

Lou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • We watched Sam & Kate on Peacock last night. Stars Dustin Hoffman and his son Jake, Sissy Spacek and her daughter Schuyler Fisk. A cute movie about people getting older and people falling in love. (Fisk also played a young Ruth Deaver -- Spacek's character -- on Castle Rock).
    Dustin is my second favorite actor after Michael Caine.  He used to be first but michael stole my love away . 
    BevVincentGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • He's a crotchety old man in this one!
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Apocalypse Now Redux.  49 minutes added back into movie. I have never seen it but jumped on it now as it leaves Netflix February 28th. 

GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • A Harry Palmer Movie — Billion Dollar Brain with my man, Michael Caine. Freevee. Still watching for Funeral in Berlin. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Watched God's Crooked Lines......

A spanish movie about a private investigator who feigns illness to get admited to a psychiatric hospital where she hopes to solve to case of an apparent suicide...

Good movie, a bit reminiscent of Shutter Island.

BevVincentGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • I quite enjoyed Don't Worry Darling (now on HBO Max). 
    GNTLGNTKurbenNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy