Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• edited February 2023
    I quite enjoyed Don't Worry Darling (now on HBO Max). 
    I am so impressed with Olivia Wilde. And harry styles did a great job. Good movie. 
    BevVincentKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • Straw Dogs — Dustin hoffman version, youtube. 

Tarrantino and Avary discussed it last week on  Video Archives Podcast. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Good but nasty movie. Both Hoffman and the poor actress playing his wife are very good.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Yes they did and it is a very nasty film. 
  • Rewatched The Fan, holds up pretty well, great cast, good performances, Michael Biehn plays crazy very well.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Saw Poseidon Rex, a monster movie. Some spanish gold treasure hunters accidentally awakes an ancestor T rex that has become amphibious and can live both at land and in the sea. Some innocent fun not to be taken seriously. it was worth 80 minutes of watching. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • We watched WE HAVE A GHOST -- cute film. A little longer than it needed to be, but we enjoyed it. David Harbour (STRANGER THINGS) looked like he was having a blast in a silent role, and Tig Notaro is always interesting.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Watched Knock At The Cabin.

A man and his husband and young daughter rent a cabin for a holiday, four strangers turn up and tell them they have a big decision to make that will decide the fate of the world.

Good cast, fine performances, unfortunately I found the story to be fairly bland and predictable🤔.

GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • ...if one believed in all the cabin scenarios out there-then the rental/purchase market would cascade down the toilet.... :D :D :D
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Watched Showdown at Boot Hill. Charles Bronson first leading role (it is from 1958, 10 years before Once Upon a Time In The West). It is a young Bronson, well younger, with smooth skin and cleanshaved. Always liked Bronson. He had his limits as an actor but always made a solid performance. Before becoming a star and leading actor he was a good secondary crook in many movies. I especially remember Vera Cruz (1954) where he was a creepy crook in Burt Lancasters gang of crooks that fought against Gary Cooper. Good movie. It took some time but the coalminer and WW2 vet became a star. Well worth it IMO!!
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited March 2023
    I was on a bit of an old Steve Martin kick. Watched:

The Man with Two Brains - absolutely laugh out loud, most of the way through.

The Jerk - also very funny, with a sweet love story too. (I would love to see the outtakes of this movie, particularly when he's talking to his girl when she's sleeping, I bet she burst into laughter multiple times😄)

All of Me - visually hilarious. He had to be in great shape to pull off some of these moves.

Also watched:

The Grabbers - an Irish comedy horror.  Absolutely hilarious, I loved it... and wasn't scared at all. 😁

Ladyhawke - I haven't seen this since I was a teenager. I've always loved this romantic and tragic story of two people being cursed into forced separation. But the 80s music almost destroyed it for ne. Talk about being ripped out of the tale every few minutes. 😃
    Great cast though.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:

The Jerk - also very funny, with a sweet love story too. (I would love to see the outtakes of this movie, particularly when he's talking to his girl when she's sleeping, I bet she burst into laughter multiple times😄)

All of Me - visually hilarious. He had to be in great shape to pull off some of these moves.

Also watched:

The Grabbers - an Irish comedy horror.  Absolutely hilarious, I loved it... and wasn't scared at all. 😁

Ladyhawke - I haven't seen this since I was a teenager. I've always loved this romantic and tragic story of two people being cursed into forced separation. But the 80s music almost destroyed it for ne. Talk about being ripped out of the tale every few minutes. 😃
    Great cast though.
    YARN  And thats all I need  The Jerk 1979  Video clips by quotes   f91dfaa9
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNotaroNeesy
  • Saw McLintock (1963) with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Not their best collaboration i thought. Both are solid and they always have chemistry when they star against one another. Their best is without a doubt The Quiet Man which is a little masterpiece but i really like Rio Grande and Wings Of Eagles too. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • ....R.I.P.D. & R.I.P.D. 2 on Netflix....nothing profound going on here, just goofyass fun....
    NotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited March 2023
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....R.I.P.D. & R.I.P.D. 2 on Netflix....nothing profound going on here, just goofyass fun....
    I was eyeballing one of them, the newest I think. I didn’t realize there were two. 
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....R.I.P.D. & R.I.P.D. 2 on Netflix....nothing profound going on here, just goofyass fun....
    I was eyeballing one of them, the newest I think. I didn’t realize there were two. 
    ....different cast, same concept-lots of dumb enjoyment.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:

Also watched:

Great cast though.
    You got through a fair few there Flakes.🤔

Steve Martin always entertains.

I loved Grabbers, very funny😃

Agree about the music in Ladyhawke, it hammers it home that you are watching an 80s movie.
  • Watched The Whale.

An obese man close to death tries to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter. 

Great cast, great performances, Brendan Fraser and Sadie Sink star as father and daughter in this excellent if rather depressing movie.  This is Fraser's moment though and he is superb, I'd love to see him get the oscar. My wife and daughter were in floods of tears throughout.

• Notaro said:
    Watched The Whale.

An obese man close to death tries to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter. 

Great cast, great performances, Brendan Fraser and Sadie Sink star as father and daughter in this excellent if rather depressing movie.  This is Fraser's moment though and he is superb, I'd love to see him get the oscar. My wife and daughter were in floods of tears throughout.

The clips I have seen have me in tears. Really looking forward to sobbing when I can watch it. 

NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Saw In the Line Of Fire with Clint Eastwood, Rene Russo and John Malkovich. From 1993. Had almost forgotten it. It holds up OK but i think it would have been better without that rather unlikely romance between Clints and Renes characters. I liked Tobin Bell, the later Saw-actor, as the villain.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    Watched The Whale.

I might watch this one this afternoon, it's feeling like a "Whale" kind of day. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Watched the Luther movie. It was OK but forgettable. Not even Andy Serkis as the bad guy elevated this.
    BevVincentGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Even so-so Luther is a pretty good way to pass the time. Cynthia Erivo from The Outsider was good in it. There were too many plot contrivances for the whole thing to hold together, but I enjoyed it.
  • We're big fans of Bill Nighy, so Living was right in our wheelhouse. A little slow at moments but touching and poignant. Nighy was nominated for Best Actor and the script for Best Adapted Screenplay -- adapted by Kazuo Ishiguro based on an Akira Kurosawa movie