Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• We watched The Black Phone last night. It's on peacock now. It was very good! It's been a while since I've read the story but it seemed to follow it very well. It was fleshed out a bit, but it was very good. Very suspenseful and Ethan Hawke was great as the bad guy. His mask is one of the creepiest ever. Recommend! 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbenNotaroNeesyHedda Gabler
  • I've rewatched Evita. Directed by Alan Parker who does a great job. So does his stars, Madonna (in perhaps her one really great acting role, she is good in Desperately seeking Susan too but this is another level) and Antonio Banderas who when he gets a role almost always are good. I've seen him in many movies, spanish and american, and his acting is great. That he could sing was a total surprise to me when i saw this movie the first time. But he is great.
    catHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • We enjoyed The Black Phone too. It really captured the 70s vibe and style of filmmaking quite well.  There was one weird scene where the sister hurled profanity at adults that not only seemed gratuitous but not consistent with the time period.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy
  • We've been fans of the Netflix series Midnight Diner and Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. I discovered that there are also two movies that were released between the series, but they weren't easy to find. I finally tracked them down on an app called Viki that has tons of Asian shows and movies with subtitles. We watched the first movie last night for 99 cents.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • The Patient — hulu — coming tomorrow i think. 

Looks good! Steve Carell, not a comedy!!!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Rewatched The Hunger.

A centuries old vampire looks for a new companion....

Tony Scott's movie directing debut, it's more of an art house movie then a horror, but it has a strong cast that give good performances,  make up legend Dick Smith provides the aging makeup for David Bowie...

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • We watched Midnight Diner 2 -- one thing we like about these movie-length stories about the eccentric Shinjuku establishment is that they give the writers time to explore the mysterious character known as "master" at a little greater depth. We get to see him out and about instead of always tucked away in his tiny kitchen.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • Notaro said:
    Rewatched The Hunger.

A centuries old vampire looks for a new companion....

Tony Scott's movie directing debut, it's more of an art house movie then a horror, but it has a strong cast that give good performances,  make up legend Dick Smith provides the aging makeup for David Bowie...

I really would like to see this again. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNotaroNeesy
  • I Came By — Netflix
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Rewatched, Murder By Decree.

Sherlock Holmes tackles the case of Jack The Ripper.

Good performances,  great cast.

KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • Can't wait for this one:

Hedda GablerLou_SytsmaNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Finished I Came By. This was pretty suspenseful.  Bleak.  Not what you usually expect.  

Hugh Bonneville from Downton Abbey is the lead.  he is very good.

Also watched Belfast.  Interesting.  I loved the black and white.  The look was a character unto itself.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Not a movie, per se, but a filmed stage production. We used to go to Houston's Alley Theatre in the pre-pandemic days. Early in COVID, they started releasing productions filmed during lockdown with socially distanced actors (sort of like Staged). Now that people are going back to the theatre again, they have released some of their plays for remote enjoyment, too. Last night we watched Clue, which was hilarious and extremely well produced/staged. It was a three-camera production, so that made it feel more like a movie, too. It was very good, and a way to continue supporting our local theatre.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Finished I Came By. This was pretty suspenseful.  Bleak.  Not what you usually expect.  

Hugh Bonneville from Downton Abbey is the lead.  he is very good.

Also watched Belfast.  Interesting.  I loved the black and white.  The look was a character unto itself.
    Where did you find Belfast Deejers? I'm still very keen to see this.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • Here it's available just about everywhere. Free on HBO Max and for varying amounts on Amazon Prime, Hulu, Apple TV+
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • Here it's available just about everywhere. Free on HBO Max and for varying amounts on Amazon Prime, Hulu, Apple TV+
    Found it! Thank you Bev. 🙂
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNotaro
  • Rewatched  Too Late The Hero and Hombre

In Too Late The Hero a group of soldiers must penetrate a Japanese army camp and destroy their radio so allied ships can proceed on a mission undetected. Extremely underrated movie, terrific cast, well worth a look.

Full movie.

In Hombre, a stagecoach is robbed but one of the passengers fights back which leads to a fight to the death for all involved. Terrific Western with Paul Newman in the title role. 

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I was surprised by I Came By (on Netflix). It has moments of tension, for sure, but it's as much about subverting the genre as being a thriller. Lord Grantham he ain't.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenNotaro
  • Saw a rather bad movie called Jurassic Domination. Made this year with a low budget. Made me appreciate the latest Jurassic Park movie more. Still there was dinosaurs in it, or rather Allosaurs which is from the jurassic period. Tyrannosauros Rex is actually from the Cretaceous period (i understand why they chose Jurassic as movie title, much easier to pronounce). I am a sucker for shark and dino movies. Even when bad i find them entertaining. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • We watched the new Netflix movie - Lou. With a title like that, how could we not?

It stars Allison Janney, of recent Mom TV series fame, and it's certainly an unglamorous role for her. The story itself was just OK.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • I watched the original 'Salems Lot last night.   Still good!
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited September 2022
    CODA

Good. If they would’ve slowed down their signing, i could have gotten most of their conversations. 

Taking that music scene to complete silence was  brilliant and sad. 

She had a beautiful voice. And i adored that music teacher. 
    BevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • The Munsters on netflix

Good Lord, I could not even watch 15 minutes of it.    So So bad.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy