Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• I probably saw the 1978 version, but its memory does not linger with me. This version brought to life my memory of the way things played out from the novel. I liked it a lot, and the backdrop renewed my determination to visit that part of Egypt.

The movie was filmed pre-pandemic. I remember seeing a trailer for it a couple of years back, but its release was delayed.

They're apparently working on a third movie set in post-war Venice, but the title hasn't been announced yet. Apparently one of the "lesser-known" novels. None of Christie's books are set in Venice, though.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenNotaroFlakeNoir
  • edited April 2022
    There is a short video of Tony Kotsur, Academy Award winner who is deaf doing iconic lines from movies like The Godfather, The Graduate, Star Wars .

it is hilarious and very cool. Go find it. Patton Oswalt has it on his Twitter wall.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Watched, We Need To Talk About Kevin.

A disturbing film about a woman's relationship with her son and her life after his acts of atrocity.
    Excellent performances from all involved, but it just too depressing to watch more than once.

Watched, The Bubble. 

A group of actors converge at a secluded hotel in the English countryside during the covid pandemic to film another sequel in a successful franchise.  
    Enjoyed this, it was funny enough to hold my attention throughout and it was nice to see some familiar faces sending themselves unfortunately ridicule. 

Watched, You Are Not My Mother.

A youg girl becomes alarmed when her mother disappears but re-appears after a short time and begins acting very strangely. She suspects it may not be her mother but something else....

Another enjoyable Irish flick,  similar in tone to the other Irish horror The Hole In The Ground. It has good performances, a nice creepy vibe going on throughout. 

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Watched, We Need To Talk About Kevin.

A disturbing film about a woman's relationship with her son and her life after his acts of atrocity.
    Excellent performances from all involved, but it just too depressing to watch more than once.

Watched, The Bubble. 

A group of actors converge at a secluded hotel in the English countryside during the covid pandemic to film another sequel in a successful franchise.  
    Enjoyed this, it was funny enough to hold my attention throughout and it was nice to see some familiar faces sending themselves unfortunately ridicule. 

Watched, You Are Not My Mother.

A youg girl becomes alarmed when her mother disappears but re-appears after a short time and begins acting very strangely. She suspects it may not be her mother but something else....

Another enjoyable Irish flick,  similar in tone to the other Irish horror The Hole In The Ground. It has good performances, a nice creepy vibe going on throughout. 

I started We Need…. But had to tap out.  I have to get myself in the right mindset for certain viewings.  This looked intense . 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:
    ...well, we already know he looks good in white facepaint.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Watched Deep Water with Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas.

Found it pretty shallow.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNotaroNeesy
  • We watched the new Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture last night, which I saw in the theater when it first came out in December 1979 -- my first year at university. The movie holds up very well. The special effects, for the most part, don't feel dated. Shots linger lovingly on the Enterprise, in much the same way they did in 2001, but other than that pacing issue, it's a decent film.
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirLou_Sytsma
  • edited April 2022
    We watched the new Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture last night, which I saw in the theater when it first came out in December 1979 -- my first year at university. The movie holds up very well. The special effects, for the most part, don't feel dated. Shots linger lovingly on the Enterprise, in much the same way they did in 2001, but other than that pacing issue, it's a decent film.
    I saw it back in 1979 too. Man time flies. It's the most Star Trek of all the Star Trek movies - it's basically the original series episode - The Changeling - done large. 

My 1979 experience provided one of the best theatre laughs I've ever encountered. When the Enterprise comes out of the wormhole, Chekov says, "We're out of it." Someone from the back of the room shouted out, 'So are we!"  The entire audience burst out laughing. 
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • The best thing I have to say about THE BUBBLE is that it was free.
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Saw Death On The Nile. It started slow which deoesn't have to be wrong but it also was uninteresting in the beginning. Put it picked up speed with the first murder and recovered and ended strong. Think Orient Express was better. It had changed many of the characters relationship which i think was unnecessary but it has kept the basic murder method from the book. Some of the changes i can understand while others are both unnecessary and lessen the impact of the story. 3,5/5.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Check out WHY DIDN'T THEY ASK EVANS? on BritBox -- it's Agatha Christie done absolutely right, with the mild snark of Hugh Laurie's script and direction.
    KurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    Saw Death On The Nile. It started slow which deoesn't have to be wrong but it also was uninteresting in the beginning. Put it picked up speed with the first murder and recovered and ended strong. Think Orient Express was better. It had changed many of the characters relationship which i think was unnecessary but it has kept the basic murder method from the book. Some of the changes i can understand while others are both unnecessary and lessen the impact of the story. 3,5/5.
    Agree
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Check out WHY DIDN'T THEY ASK EVANS? on BritBox -- it's Agatha Christie done absolutely right, with the mild snark of Hugh Laurie's script and direction.
    On episode 3
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Lucy Boynton is so good.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Okay. Someone go to Joe Hill’s — The Black Phone— official  website and call the phone number. Tell me what happens . 
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • Okay. Someone go to Joe Hill’s — The Black Phone— official  website and call the phone number. Tell me what happens . 
    There's a bit of preamble (you can text this number, data rates may apply, etc.) then a bit of audio from the trailer (would you like to see a magic trick?) and then dial tone.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • Ohhh I loved that. 
    BevVincentGNTLGNTNotaro
  • I am so excited.  Criterion Channel’s May list of movies coming includes ‘night Mother which stars Anne Bancroft and Sissy Spacek.  This is an unbelievable 2 person movie.  Just the very definition of superb acting .  If you have not seen this and ever get a chance to, watch it. Watch it completely for the talent of these two women.  I can’t give it any higher praise because it’s at the top.  How they keep the action flowing while connecting so realistically and completely with each other — the continuity — just wow. 

It’s more like a stage production. Death of a Salesman type feel.  Somber. Sad. But absolutely mesmerizing.  

GNTLGNTKurbenNotaroFlakeNoir
  • edited May 2022
    Okay @BevVincent, you can ‘t drop Blade Runner without sharing your thoughts. 🙂
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I've never seen it before -- and I don't know why. It came out when I was an undergrad, so it should have been on my radar. And yet, I've never seen it. I was interviewed by a PDK expert yesterday and admitted this shortcoming. We queued it up last night. I thought it was good, but not mind-blowing. I'm not sure why there's all this debate over whether Deckard is a replicant or not--I wouldn't have come away from the film with that suspicion. I really like its noir cinematography. The version we saw didn't have the voiceover, as recommended by the expert. It was good.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • Olivia Wilde -- I can't wait to see what she does next.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I've never seen it before -- and I don't know why. It came out when I was an undergrad, so it should have been on my radar. And yet, I've never seen it. I was interviewed by a PDK expert yesterday and admitted this shortcoming. We queued it up last night. I thought it was good, but not mind-blowing. I'm not sure why there's all this debate over whether Deckard is a replicant or not--I wouldn't have come away from the film with that suspicion. I really like its noir cinematography. The version we saw didn't have the voiceover, as recommended by the expert. It was good.
    Interesting. I would have. 🙂
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT