Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Notaro said:
    Rewatched, Hands Of The Ripper

A young girl has violent deadly outbursts, a psychiatrist tries to determine the cause but discovers she may be the daughter of Jack The Ripper...

A good movie from Hammer, fine performances from all involved especially Eric Porter as Dr. John Pritchard.

Okay, i have to find this one. Maybe YouTube for the movie?
    No sign of it on YouTube unfortunately ☹️
    Hedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaHollyGolightlyFlakeNoir
  • edited January 2022
    Olivia is just so good in The Lost Daughter. I had a couple moments I still don’t get, but it’s really more about the performances.  
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaHollyGolightly
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Don39t Look Up - Official Teaser 2021  Ariana Grande Leonardo Dicaprio  Jennifer Lawrence - YouTube
    I didn't actually get to watch this until tonight.
    It's brilliant. Hysterically accurate and tragically far too close for comfort. So many laugh out loud moments and just the right amount of fear to make you want to be with those you love.
    Nice job. 
    NotaroHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaHollyGolightly
  • Watched Don't Look Up and for some reason kept thinking of Dr. Strangelove. Thanks @BevVincent ; for the hint about watching through the credits as I would have missed that scene otherwise. I'm not typically a credits watcher. 

GNTLGNTBevVincentNotaroKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • ....not a credits watcher.......now my misfiring broadcaster brain thought, "Hey, that term would work great with this music".....

NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • Josh Gad gets on my nerves most of the time (and he was meant to in this movie), but it was a funny pay-off.
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Olivia is just so good in The Lost Daughter. I had a couple moments I still don’t get, but it’s really more about the performances.  
    Agreed about the performances. Colman is always good -- it's funny to see her in interviews because she's so goofy and daffy in most of them. I have to say, though, that we didn't understand this movie at all.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshaKurbenHollyGolightly
  • edited January 2022
    Olivia is just so good in The Lost Daughter. I had a couple moments I still don’t get, but it’s really more about the performances.  
    Agreed about the performances. Colman is always good -- it's funny to see her in interviews because she's so goofy and daffy in most of them. I have to say, though, that we didn't understand this movie at all.
    I think everyone’s performance was so good in this. But it is definitely one of those discussion movies.  One of the biggest things that left me scratching my head was

the men being so menacing towards her. All these looks she kept getting. I 100% kept thinking  she was going to get attacked and raped. Maggie G. kept laying the sinister groundwork for that.  So many moments of thinking it was going to happen. Ed Harris telling her to leave and the men eyeing her. Why did MG go to such great lengths to create that atmosphere and then absolutely nothing came of it?

Also, the minute she walked in the store to buy doll clothes and no one questions that? When the whole story is basically about a kidnapped doll — flyers on trees searching for it but you just happen to need doll clothes?

and these people just constantly touching each other’s faces. Is that just a custom and everyone just accepts that this stranger is going to be a face toucher?  Get your damn hands off me.  
    Just so many things i could talk about that were just all sorts of wth. 
    A lot of symbolism going on obviously and sometimes I just don’t have the damn energy to engage. Just entertain me please. 

This is based on a book. Normally i am very inquisitive and go the extra mile to learn and understand. I would read the story. I don’t have it in me today. I’m going to wiki the book and see if it gives more clarity .  That’s all i have in me to give the story . 

GNTLGNTMarshaFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....not a credits watcher.......now my misfiring broadcaster brain thought, "Hey, that term would work great with this music".....

Now that took me back!
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyNeesy
  • Marsha said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....not a credits watcher.......now my misfiring broadcaster brain thought, "Hey, that term would work great with this music".....

Now that took me back!
    ....I played that quite often in my disc spinning days, and until I watched this video, I thought they were African-American singers....just the style and sound, especially given the era in music.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenHollyGolightlyMarsha
  • I watched Don't Look Up - loved it.  I didn't watch the credits until I saw that I should on here- Thankee Sais!  That was great. I really enjoy that movie.

I watched and enjoyed The Lost Daughter - I agree so much with all you said @Hedda Gabler .   I liked Olivia Colman's character very much.  I loved it when she told Callie that children are an overwhelming responsibility.  Insert standing clappers here.  I love my children, but lord. Yes. I have more to say but haven't learnt to not spoil yet.  I think I might read the book.  

Olivia Colman is in Netflix series I liked - Flowers (very good Brit dark dram-com).  And she was Fleabag's stepmom in Fleabag. I haven't watched The Crown, but want to.

Today I watched The Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock - very intense but very good. 

I'm about to google some movies to watch.  

KurbenFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • I watched "The Lost Daughter" this afternoon. It was so well done, she is one of my favourites. This was sad and nostalgic, thought-provoking and emotionally exhausting. 

Yes DJ...

The dolls clothes... uh, duh people.🙄

I didn't get exactly the same vibe from the guys, definitely a lot of hostility and yes some creep-factor feeling, but I think it was more that they were hiding their criminal dealings. (in plain sight, because hey! Who's going to mess with this family???😳)

The face touching... I think this is a very Greek thing. Maybe I'm wrong?🤔

HollyGolightlyMarshaGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • oops - it was Crushing Responsibility

@FlakeNoir I forgot to comment on that.  I got the feeling that she gave off "get back" vibes.  She didn't quite embrace the Greek touchy feely way.  I have some Greek friends, they are a bit more showy with their emotions that most are used to. Italians can be like that too. I'm not a face toucher, but I am an impulsive hugger.

NotaroMarshaGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Watched Mother/Android

In the near future an electrical surge corrupts the circus in the android servant population which turns then into killing machines, mankind faces extinction at the hands of its own creation. 

The trailer looked ok, had I left it at that things would have been fine, but I watched it, the performances are ok but it's just a bad movie, even the makers must have been bored because one of the main characters disappears without any explanation. Avoid.

KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • This afternoon I watched "The Unforgivable". (thanks Holly, I'd forgotten I wanted to see this)
    Oh boy, it was tough going. Excellent performance from Sandra Bullock, really not her normal role. 

And tonight I re-watched The Lake House.
    It was on TV.
    I don't care what other people think of it. Stories are about how they make you feel. 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenMarshaNeesy
  • ...so the mother was a cell-phone?.....

Smile Grin GIF - Smile Grin Funny - Discover amp Share GIFs
    KurbenHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirMarsha
  • edited January 2022
    Watched two Irish movies, Redemption Of A Rogue.

A troubled young man returns to his small hometown to try to make amends for his past, but things don't go according to plan. 

Really enjoyed his one, very quirky and off beat and very funny. 

Watched Deadly Cuts.

A Hair Salon has trouble paying protection money to the local criminal gang while trying to gain entry into a hair salon televised competition

Wasn't wild about this one, had a couple of funny moments but nowhere near funny enough overall. 

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • ....Redemption of a Rogue?.....subtitled "The Irish Story"..... :D
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • Watched The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on Netflix last night. I had no idea before this that any British territories had been occupied by the Germans during WWII. The casting made it feel a little like a Downton Abbey reunion but they're all good actors so enjoyed their performances.
    The "reveal" wasn't surprising although I did hope for a different outcome. 

FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • We watched that one a while back -- charming.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Finally got around to watching "Ghoulies" (1985) last night.  By all accounts a bad movie, but I still sorta enjoyed it, what with all the Satanic rituals, suspect acting, and latex and foam rubber puppets.  This one was my personal favorite Ghoulie.

NotaroKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Finally got around to watching "Ghoulies" (1985) last night.  By all accounts a bad movie, but I still sorta enjoyed it, what with all the Satanic rituals, suspect acting, and latex and foam rubber puppets.  This one was my personal favorite Ghoulie.

He's quite buff.
    Hedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNTKurben
  • ....stupid fun.....that's what makes those movies classics.....well, that and buff critters....
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • We enjoyed The Tender Bar, starring Ben Affleck, Lily Rabe and Christopher Lloyd, directed by George Clooney (Amazon Prime). A feel-good gentle movie.
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • We enjoyed The Tender Bar, starring Ben Affleck, Lily Rabe and Christopher Lloyd, directed by George Clooney (Amazon Prime). A feel-good gentle movie.
    Yes, a wonderful movie, great performances. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincentMarshaGNTLGNT