Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• We watched Being the Ricardos last night. I'm a big fan of Nicole Kidman, and occasionally she made me think she was Lucille Ball, but often I just Nicole. I wonder what the film would have been like if it had been Nina Arianda playing Ball instead of playing Vivian Vance.
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I thought Caitríona Balfe was terrific as the mother. We watched it at home--I can't see myself in a theater until things settle down again.

She was terrific. That's the first thing I've seen her in other than Outlander.

GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....read yesterday that Omicron is now responsible for at least 73% of the newest cases...so far, bullet fast-but not as severe....maybe when we run out of the Greek Alphabet, the plague will cease..... :/
    We just start on the Norse alphabet!!
    Pin on Norse Mythology
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • Marsha said:
    I thought Caitríona Balfe was terrific as the mother. We watched it at home--I can't see myself in a theater until things settle down again.

She was terrific. That's the first thing I've seen her in other than Outlander.

She apparently has a huge following from Outlander. When I tweeted about her, I got a whole raft of new followers whose profiles indicate they are fans of that show and her in particular. I'd never seen her before.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNeesy
  • Watched The Earthquake from 2018. A Norwegian movie about a big earthquake in Oslo. Quite OK!! And its not so impossible scenario as it sounds. Of the nordic countries Norway has by far the most earthquakes and the last really big one was in the beginning of the 20,th century but lets hope, for the norwegians sake, it does not occur in Oslo. A thing i like about it is that the hero, a geologist, does not look like a hero. He is not Tom Cruise or DiCaprio or some other herolooking moviestar. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Rewatched,  When A Stranger Calls

A babysitter starts to receive threatening phone calls, she calls the police and they trace the call....and the nightmare begins.. 

This is the original made for TV movie from 1979, it holds up surprisingly well, yes there are a few plot holes but overall its pretty tense. Good performances. 

Trailer 

Full Movie 

MarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Watched The Earthquake from 2018. A Norwegian movie about a big earthquake in Oslo. Quite OK!! And its not so impossible scenario as it sounds. Of the nordic countries Norway has by far the most earthquakes and the last really big one was in the beginning of the 20,th century but lets hope, for the norwegians sake, it does not occur in Oslo. A thing i like about it is that the hero, a geologist, does not look like a hero. He is not Tom Cruise or DiCaprio or some other herolooking moviestar. 
    ....but in the right light, YOU could pass for Tom!......Cullen that is..... :D
    Hedda GablerMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Watched The Earthquake from 2018. A Norwegian movie about a big earthquake in Oslo. Quite OK!! And its not so impossible scenario as it sounds. Of the nordic countries Norway has by far the most earthquakes and the last really big one was in the beginning of the 20,th century but lets hope, for the norwegians sake, it does not occur in Oslo. A thing i like about it is that the hero, a geologist, does not look like a hero. He is not Tom Cruise or DiCaprio or some other herolooking moviestar. 
    ....but in the right light, YOU could pass for Tom!......Cullen that is..... :D
    I prefer that! Thanks.
    Hedda GablerMarshaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Rewatched,  When A Stranger Calls

A babysitter starts to receive threatening phone calls, she calls the police and they trace the call....and the nightmare begins.. 

This is the original made for TV movie from 1979, it holds up surprisingly well, yes there are a few plot holes but overall its pretty tense. Good performances. 

Trailer 

Full Movie 

I loved this movie. Scared the crap outta me.  Might still— need to rewatch it. 
    MarshaNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Oh my lordy, that is good!
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbenMarsha
  • edited December 2021
    Rewatched, The Invisible Man Returns.

A man sentenced to death for a murder he didn't commit is helped escape by the brother of the scientist in the original movie. He visits him in his cell and injects him with the invisibility serum which enables him to flee. He then sets out to discover who framed him, the only problem is that the serum will soon drive him insane... 

Very enjoyable sequel, Vincent Price plays the lead which is basically a voice role. 

FlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • Watched Coda - Children of Deaf Adults. An above average coming of age story about a teenage girl - played by Emilia Jones - of Joe Hill's - Locke & Key - series.  Her character loves to sing which, of course, her family has no connection to. Never knew Jones is Welsh and that she is a pretty good singer too. A heart-warming, if predictable, movie.

NotaroFlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshaNeesy
  • We liked CODA.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaMarshaNeesy
  • Just saw Spielbergs remake of West Side Story. It is not as good as the original and is very clearly a remake. The changes are minor comparatively and some scenes are set different, like America which is set great. But the dancing is not as good as in the original. It is very good but the original was extraordinary in that department. I think they messed up the very good song Officer Krupke here, neither the singing, dancing, setting or acting convinced me there compared with the very good scene from 1961. The story is a bit more concentrated on Tony and Maria who also are the two best actors in the movie. Their singing is perhaps even better than the original actors, Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer. Wood and Beymer on the other hand was better actors but it is a musical. Russ Tamblyns, George Chakiris and Rita Morenos parts in the original as Riff, Bernardo and Anita couldn't be improved upon and their replacements isn't really near. One change i think was unwise is the context of the song Cool. In the original it was sung by Ice, Riffs second, when he gets the gang together again after Riffs death, masterly sung and danced, an absolutely electric number. Here it is an argument between Riff and Tony if they should rumble or not. It is not as good dancing, nor the tension in the air that inhabited the first number. I dont have anything against changes in remakes if they serve a purpose, this does not, it loses it. The storytelling and sceneshifts are done very well, which is not surprising since it is Spielberg directing. Also it was fun to see Rita Moreno in a minor role as Tonys employer and gentle advisor. She also had a song. All in all i give 4/5. The original will always be a very clear 5/5 for me. One of the best musicals ever. This does not reach those heights but is a very enjoyable movie. This has been very praised by the critics and rightfully so but remakes should always be compared with original and it is not, as some critics has said, on the level with that.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarshaNeesy
  • We saw DON'T LOOK UP last night -- scathing satire that's both funny and terrifying. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to stay through the credits.
    GNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • We saw DON'T LOOK UP last night -- scathing satire that's both funny and terrifying. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to stay through the credits.
    My eldest kid is raving about this one and wants me to see it. 
    NotaroMarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    We saw DON'T LOOK UP last night -- scathing satire that's both funny and terrifying. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to stay through the credits.
    It's really good. Definitely worth a look. 
    FlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    We saw DON'T LOOK UP last night -- scathing satire that's both funny and terrifying. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to stay through the credits.
    It's really good. Definitely worth a look. 
    I'll watch it tonight. 
    MarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited January 2022
    Rewatched, Hands Of The Ripper

A young girl has violent deadly outbursts, a psychiatrist tries to determine the cause but discovers she may be the daughter of Jack The Ripper...

A good movie from Hammer, fine performances from all involved especially Eric Porter as Dr. John Pritchard.

GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Notaro said:
    Rewatched, Hands Of The Ripper

A young girl has violent deadly outbursts, a psychiatrist tries to determine the cause but discovers she may be the daughter of Jack The Ripper...

A good movie from Hammer, fine performances from all involved especially Eric Porter as Dr. John Pritchard.

Okay, i have to find this one. Maybe YouTube for the movie?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • I’m in the process of watching The Lost Daughter with Olivia Colman, Dakota Johnson, Ed Harris, one of the Sarsgasrd dudes. Directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • That one  is on my radar. Love Olivia Colman.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarsha
  • The Lost Daughter is good, Colman is in top form. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaLou_Sytsma