Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• edited February 2022
    FlakeNoir said:
    Have you ever seen DARE ME based on the novel by Megan Abbott?
    Okay bev, just a couple things with this one. I’m getting ready to start episode 8.  The story is good but… I was a cheerleader. 

1. I never haughtily walked down the hallway at school with my fellow squad members in a flying geese formation, with my hair blowing attractively around my face, in slow motion, hip hop soundtrack and everyone stopping to watch us in all our glory. 

I feel cheated. 

2. My fellow cheerleaders and I never spontaneously broke out in a drumming stomp and cheer anywhere in public other than a game. Our community did not give a shit who we were.  We never competed at any cheerleading circle jerk called Regionals or State. 

I feel invisible. 

3. I could not do crap in the tumbling department. I would have broke my neck. The best you got from me is a Mary Catherine Gallagher lunge and a sassy “superstarrrrr” from my lips.  

I feel arthritic and seriously uncoordinated. 

But, i did drink beer pretty good. And a well placed paper bag over my head — I looked cute in the uniforms. And dammit, that’s ALL I cared about. 

Unfortunately, I was the bitch. I never ever wanted to actually  DO any cheerleading. I voted NO on everything.  So, i guess that looked good on my college resume. 

Superstarrrrrr!

For these and more insights on Cheerleading Matters, follow me. Tap that like button, ring that bell.  😉
    I started watching this last weekend and am up to episode 7(?) I think. I'm sort of locked in because I do want to see where it goes, but I wouldn't say I'm captivated.
    It might be that the cheerleading culture doesn't exist here, I'm not sure?

I am really glad to hear you say these things about cheerleading though because the show is giving me a 'turn off' vibe, which I think is affecting how I feel about the show overall. 
    I really like the show storyline. And wtf was with that ending????  I knew that person was more than they appeared, so that wasn’t unexpected. The fact there is a season 2 to go through? Ugh. I thought this was a one and done. I will stay the course though because, again, the storyline is interesting . 

This sturm und drang bullshit between the two main girls is lighting my brain on fire. Yes, there is an element of this type of relationship in teenage girl groups, but to this dramatic extreme is getting soap opera comical.  Very falcon cresty although these two teenage girls supposedly like each other???  

Oh what a tangled web we weave as teenage girls. 

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarsha
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Okay bev, just a couple things with this one. I’m getting ready to start episode 8.  The story is good but… I was a cheerleader. 

1. I never haughtily walked down the hallway at school with my fellow squad members in a flying geese formation, with my hair blowing attractively around my face, in slow motion, hip hop soundtrack and everyone stopping to watch us in all our glory. 

I feel cheated. 

2. My fellow cheerleaders and I never spontaneously broke out in a drumming stomp and cheer anywhere in public other than a game. Our community did not give a shit who we were.  We never competed at any cheerleading circle jerk called Regionals or State. 

I feel invisible. 

3. I could not do crap in the tumbling department. I would have broke my neck. The best you got from me is a Mary Catherine Gallagher lunge and a sassy “superstarrrrr” from my lips.  

But, i did drink beer pretty good. And a well placed paper bag over my head — I looked cute in the uniforms. And dammit, that’s ALL I cared about. 

Unfortunately, I was the bitch. I never ever wanted to actually  DO any cheerleading. I voted NO on everything.  So, i guess that looked good on my college resume. 

Superstarrrrrr!

For these and more insights on Cheerleading Matters, follow me. Tap that like button, ring that bell.  😉
    I started watching this last weekend and am up to episode 7(?) I think. I'm sort of locked in because I do want to see where it goes, but I wouldn't say I'm captivated.

I am really glad to hear you say these things about cheerleading though because the show is giving me a 'turn off' vibe, which I think is affecting how I feel about the show overall. 
    I really like the show storyline. And wtf was with that ending????  I knew that person was more than they appeared, so that wasn’t unexpected. The fact there is a season 2 to go through? Ugh. I thought this was a one and done. I will stay the course though because, again, the storyline is interesting . 

This sturm und drang bullshit between the two main girls is lighting my brain on fire. Yes, there is an element of this type of relationship in teenage girl groups, but to this dramatic extreme is getting soap opera comical.  Very falcon cresty although these two teenage girls supposedly like each other???  

I haven't got to the ending yet but will get back to you, mostly I only get to watch shows at the weekend. 

Much of the time I was finding the attitudes and behaviour and choices a bit unbelievable, but I might be out of the loop completely and I think there's a bit of a culture gap there too, perhaps?
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2022
    FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:

I feel cheated. 

I feel invisible. 

Superstarrrrrr!

I haven't got to the ending yet but will get back to you, mostly I only get to watch shows at the weekend. 

Much of the time I was finding the attitudes and behaviour and choices a bit unbelievable, but I might be out of the loop completely and I think there's a bit of a culture gap there too, perhaps?
    Yeah, get past all that and the story itself is interesting. 

I think they were targeting a young audience with their choices. Many unfortunate and forcing an angsty power wielded by teenage girls.  Which, there is a power there.  Women don’t realize that power at that age. But, this is unbelievable— to me. But, there is a lot of things in this world that challenge “believable.” I  think the seed of the story is there. Edit out the noise. 

One of the creators needed to calm the hell down. Maybe chill and netflix would’ve helped. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNotaro
  • Enjoyed this....David Soul talks about Salem's Lot.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaKurbenNeesy
  • Archive 81 on Netflix -- it's weird as weird can be but strangely compelling.
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTSundrop
  • Archive 81 on Netflix -- it's weird as weird can be but strangely compelling.
    Yes it's a good show, pretty off the wall but enjoyable. 
    FlakeNoirBevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Archive 81 on Netflix -- it's weird as weird can be but strangely compelling.
    Yes it's a good show, pretty off the wall but enjoyable. 
    I liked it. Bring on Season 2!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Prepare to say farewell to the upside down.

Netflix revealed early Thursday that Stranger Things will end with a newly announced fifth season. The streamer also set a release date strategy for its long-awaited fourth season and hinted that an all-new Stranger Things series could be in the works.

“Seven years ago, we planned out the complete story arc for Stranger Things,” creators Matt and Ross Duffer wrote in an open letter to fans. “At the time, we predicted the story would last four to five seasons. It proved too large to tell in four but — as you’ll see for yourselves — we are now hurtling toward our finale.”

Netflix announced the premiere date for the 1980s-set sci-fi drama’s fourth season, which is being split into two parts. “Volume 1” of season four will debut May 27 (a whopping three years since season three aired). The second half of the fourth season, Volume 2, will debut July 1. It’s unusual for Netflix to slightly stagger the release of a single season of a drama series rather than doing its usual all-episodes-at-once drop strategy, and the Duffer Brothers elaborated on the decision.

Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTSundrop
  • edited February 2022
    Finished up Peacemaker. I really just loved this. Silly and bawdy but fun. Just goofy fun. Not all successful shows have to be all artsy angsty.  They can be a bit lopsided drunk. 

And for the record — I NEVER skip the opening because I am dancing with them, much to my son’s painful eye rolls . 

GNTLGNT
  • If someone can post that vid instead of just link, i’d appreciate  it. 

My phone won’t  let me .
    GNTLGNT
  • What's that one about? I see people talking about it.

I have early access to the first four episodes of FROM on Epix (launches this weekend) -- it's intriguing! Best experienced without knowing anything about it at all going in, I think.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2022
    It’s a comic book guy. DC comics!!! (Don’t tell my kid I put Marvel first).  Bwahaha.

It’s really got an interesting storyline (saving the world, that old chestnut) and John Cena, surprising to me, kills it. He is just perfect in this role. Supporting cast good too. 

I would watch Suicide Squad first to give a feel and background to Peacemaker. It is worth your time if you go into it open to whatever.🤣

i’ve seen people mentioning FROM but don’t read anything about it. Hope to see it sooner rather than later. Sounds mysterious. 
    GNTLGNT
  • I'll second Hedda's recommendation about Peacemaker. The show is amazingly well written. The last episode has an amazing scene where a character has to pour out his soul in the hopes of not being killed which touches back on a running gag about his appearance, specifically his beard. All in the midst of a tense action set piece. It's heart wrenching and so well done.

There's a lot of setups and excellent payoffs. Another running gag deals with the Justice League. Wonderful payoff. Throw in Eagley, Robert Patrick as the White Dragon, and a blistering social commentary about the state of humanity and you have a show that covers a lot of bases under the guise of a dysfunctional superhero genre.

Still working my way through Archive 81 and Yellowjackets. Really digging them both.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • If someone can post that vid instead of just link, i’d appreciate  it. 

My phone won’t  let me .

Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    If someone can post that vid instead of just link, i’d appreciate  it. 

My phone won’t  let me .

Thank you very much. I can post youtubes from my laptop but not my phone. I obviously have some box checked I need to investigate. 
    NotarospideymanGNTLGNTKurben
  • ...still one of the dumbest helmets in the history of comicdom....
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...still one of the dumbest helmets in the history of comicdom....
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...still one of the dumbest helmets in the history of comicdom....
    Agree.  In this show, many different dumb helmets — but they end up being very cool.

😄
    GNTLGNTNotaroKurben
  • edited February 2022
    What's that one about? I see people talking about it.

I have early access to the first four episodes of FROM on Epix (launches this weekend) -- it's intriguing! Best experienced without knowing anything about it at all going in, I think.
    Epix is allowing first 3 episodes free — that’s what I’ll be doing today, with some Gwendy peppered in. 
    BevVincentGNTLGNT
  • ...peppered Gwendy....sounds like a recipe from the Lecter cookbook..... :D
    KurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • I love the Pixies’s version of Que Sera, Que Sera for the opening of FROM. 
    BevVincentGNTLGNT
  • A bit late to the party but I'm watching Chapelwaite, up at episode 8, enjoying it immensely.

BevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Notaro said:
    A bit late to the party but I'm watching Chapelwaite, up at episode 8, enjoying it immensely.

Do FROM next. It ‘s pretty interesting stuff . 

Waiting for my chance to watch the complete Chapelwaite. Only got to see a few free. 
    GNTLGNTNeesyMarshaNotaro
  • Still havr not watched Ozark
    GNTLGNTKurbenMarshaNotaroSundrop
  • It is terrific. Breaking Bad level.
    GNTLGNTNeesyMarshaNotaroSundrop