Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• We finally got to see 63 Up, which is available on BritBox
    Okay, I just watched this.  While everyone seemed to be "satisfied" with their life, none of them really seemed all that happy.  Or maybe that's just that British stiff upper lip stuff coming into play.  Tony has always been the most animated to me.  I think he likes to laugh.  His granddaughter was gorgeous.  Just stunning.

I knew about Lynn.

But the surprise to me was

Nick.  I had not heard he had cancer.  That was quite shocking and just hurt my heart.  I'm scared to look and see if he is still alive.  Break it to me, is he?

GNTLGNT
  • edited March 2021
    So Bev, if I can ask you:

Give me the child at 7 and I will show you the man.

Does this apply to you?

If any of you have not seen the 7Up series, it is so fascinating.  Heartbreaking mostly for me.  I don't know why, but I just feel so much sadness watching these years pass by.  I wanted so much more for all of them.  I wanted them all to have the same opportunities.  

Some were tough enough to fight and make it on their own.  Some barely squeeked by, sort of fulfilling stereotypes of class.  

Now that Apted has passed, I wonder if someone in his team will pick up the mantle and carry on.  I so hope so.  I want to see 70 Up very much.  I so thank these people for participating.  

I saw myself in every single one of them.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Now I'm watching 7Up & Me.  
    GNTLGNT
  • edited March 2021
    Oh man, that school Bruce went too was brutal.  Little Nazi tyrants running rough shod over t he other kids.  Mean. Bullies.  Heartbreaking.

Boarding school, state run school -- I absolutely DO NOT get this system in Britain where you send your small children off to be raised by someone else.  Do they still do this today?

One of the 7Ups didn't send their kid to boarding school, I forget who that was now. And I just watched the damn show!  He had the mindset I did.  I'll raise my own children, thank you.

And Jackie was right to jump on Apted, all the questions to the girls focused on marriage, children, boys.   They asked the boys about girls and marriage, but it was just one of numerous questions.  The focus questions for the girls was pretty much on that topic.

GNTLGNT
  • Nick.  I had not heard he had cancer.  That was quite shocking and just hurt my heart.  I'm scared to look and see if he is still alive.  Break it to me, is he?
    As far as I can tell, he's still alive.

GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • So Bev, if I can ask you:

Does this apply to you?

I think it does. I think I haven't strayed all that far from who I was at that early age in many fundamental ways.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Is anyone watching the season 3 of The Sinner that just dropped on Netflux?  Thoughts?

i have not watched the first two seasons but jumped in on three. Seems to be pretty good. It’s nice to see Bill pullman 
    Season 3 is very good. Season 1 is excellent. Season 2 is not bad. They're all very different in theme and story -- Pullman is the one constant.
    Well bev, you and i watched two different shows apparently .   I thought season 3 was terrible.  Just terrible. There are lots of shows you suspend disbelief, but this was filled with so much ridiculous, i just couldn’t embrace it at all. 
    Watch S1, it's good. 
    How’s it going on your watching? Did you make it past a calf incident of some sort????

i have a feeling that maybe watching the first two seasons might have endeared me to bill Pullman’s character better. Maybe everything  we see about him in the first two seasons explains his actions in the third. 

While it was okay to jump into this in the third season story wise as they are separate things, his character development was not. That was an ongoing thing.  I didn’t give the character fair justice by skipping the first two seasons. 

The calf bit ended up being more implied than in-ya-face bovine murder, but yeah,  the calf bought it.
    I haven't watched anything in the last week, was too tired with the extra work hours. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Dammit, I tried to edit the above but ran out of time. 

@Hedda Gabler I'm not sure about his character development, I felt very conflicted about him in S1. In S2 I'm seeing more of the reason for his.... uh... choices. I'll let you know more once I'm finally done with it all. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro

Does this apply to you?

I think it does. I think I haven't strayed all that far from who I was at that early age in many fundamental ways.
    ....I on the other hand feel I have changed in a multitude of ways, but the streets of life have many intersections and alleys.....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir

Does this apply to you?

I also think i’m still that little girl in many ways.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 7 Up and Me was good. Thanks for mentioning it -- I might not have noticed it. We went back to the beginning and watched the first show, too. Lots of extra footage we'd never seen before.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited March 2021
    I also enjoyed it.

I started a rewatch of the whole series myself.  Neil was such a beautiful little boy. So sweet and alive and cheerful. If you go on, pay attention in 14Up  to how his demeanor changed so dramatically. Not just teenage attitude crap which they all display, but something more broken. it really shows a decline. 

And, in 14up, pay attention to Symon’s eyes. Those are the saddest damn eyes i’ve ever seen.  Like a beaten, defeated thing. 

I’m just as captivated now as i was the first time, probably more so. 

And i bust out laughing every time we get to the end and then the narrator says, “This is England’s future” and this doomsday music plays, dun, dun, dun....  what a horrible, horrible choice of music after those words.  If i was an Englander, i’d have been thinking, good God, we’re f***ed. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • We laugh at the dun dun dun,  too. It’s like the Law and Order gong. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited March 2021
    7 Up and Me was good. Thanks for mentioning it -- I might not have noticed it. We went back to the beginning and watched the first show, too. Lots of extra footage we'd never seen before.
    I got a good chuckle when that rapper/comedian guy doc brown is watching Paul talk about his wife feeding him greens. “Ahhh, It ain’t  gonna work, mate.”
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited March 2021
    GNTLGNT said:

I just found out Matthew McConaughey wrote a book called Greenlights

p.s. Yes I realize this thread is about TV shows but I just thought it was cool (do you suppose there's any love in there? as in "Love and Green Lights" ☺ :o

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • I've started watching Supernatural. Started with the first season. Saw the Pilot. Liked it well enough to go on with it. We'll see how far, i heard its 15 seasons long!!!!!!!
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    I've started watching Supernatural. Started with the first season. Saw the Pilot. Liked it well enough to go on with it. We'll see how far, i heard its 15 seasons long!!!!!!!
    Supernatural - S11E15  Supernatural funny Supernatural memes Supernatural
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerNotaro
  • Watching The Gloaming.

if anyone watches The Irregulars i’d appreciate your thoughts.  Just dropped on Netflix . 
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Watching The Gloaming.

if anyone watches The Irregulars i’d appreciate your thoughts.  Just dropped on Netflix . 
    Started watching The Irregulars, two episodes in, I'm a bit undicided about it, I like that it's set in the correct time frame, but the music used just annoys me, plus the fact that it's all supernatural so far, I fear it might wear thin after a very short time. I'll stick with it to see where it goes whether I like it or not though. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....and I read that "undiced".....*note to self.....adjust meds*......
    Hedda GablerKurbenNotaro
  • Notaro said:
    Watching The Gloaming.

Started watching The Irregulars, two episodes in, I'm a bit undicided about it, I like that it's set in the correct time frame, but the music used just annoys me, plus the fact that it's all supernatural so far, I fear it might wear thin after a very short time. I'll stick with it to see where it goes whether I like it or not though. 
    Keep me posted.  
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • edited April 2021
    Anyone familiar with Scott & Bailey?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Yeah — I liked it a lot.  Suranne Jones is one of my faves. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited April 2021
    Yeah — I liked it a lot.  Suranne Jones is one of my faves. 
    I like her too. She’s fantastic in Dr. Foster. And i seem to be the only person who really liked Gentleman Jack. 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ....I too like Gentleman Jack, but I think we are at polar opposites here.... ;)

Jack Daniels Whiskey Tennessee Gentleman Jack 80 Proof - 375 Ml - Safeway
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNotaroNeesy