Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    Central Library on Twitter  Library humor Book humor Books
    That is a good way to go!!!! to be eternally embraced by books......
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    Didn’t make the 8 book mark for January but I am well on my way for first book in Feb. 

I’m halfway through Under The Whispering Door by TJ Klune. 

It is absolutely charming. I have my thoughts where it’s going and I’m okay if it heads right directly that way.  Very nice writing. I went today and bought his first book because of the warmth of this one.  It’s called The House in the Cerulean Sea.
    catFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    And maybe funny, maybe not — the other day when I bought all the books?  I didn’t realize it at the time but every single book deals with death. 

I laughed when it dawned on me that even though I was in every aisle, death was calling to me. I reached for the unquiet coffin. 

catFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurbenMarsha
  • The big yearly sale on books starts the 22,nd! I've just looked over the newly released catalogues. There are some finds to be made. My planning has started.
    catHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Over halfway in Finders Keepers. Must finish so i can read the last one. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcat
  • Kurben said:
    The big yearly sale on books starts the 22,nd! I've just looked over the newly released catalogues. There are some finds to be made. My planning has started.
    ....here's something to help you get them home.....

Earth moving equipment for open-cast mining - International Mining
    MarshaKurbenFlakeNoircat
  • Started Imperial Earth by Arthur C. Clarke. Thought i would do a little Odyssey of my own in Clarkes time and space. Starting with Against The Fall Of Night written in 1948, now this one written in 1976 and ending with Times Eye written in 2001. Will be interesting to notice the development.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    I’ve been listening to Levar Burton’s podcast more and more. So many great short story writers.  

One. Just one good short story is all I want to write. I’m not greedy. 
    GNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • I’ve been listening to Levar Burton’s podcast more and more. So many great short story writers.  

You already have! 
    Did you get any feedback from that one yet?
    GNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    FlakeNoir said:
    I’ve been listening to Levar Burton’s podcast more and more. So many great short story writers.  

You already have! 
    Bwahaha!!! First, They got delayed.  Then, they completely shut down with the hopes of someday coming back.  So, i am free to submit it elsewhere or with them again if they rise from the ashes. 

Where i submitted it was for gothic, but it really isn’t at all.  Not even close but i thought i could make a case for it because people kept trying to steer me that way.  They were seeing that. Why? I’m still unclear. 

I don’t know where it fits. It’s not gothic. It’s not horror, suspense, intrigue, western, romance, sci fi, biography, self help, home improvement.

it’s fiction about superstition and old time religion and a little girl. 

What the hell is it?  Where does it fit?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • FlakeNoir said:

You already have! 
    Bwahaha!!! First, They got delayed.  Then, they completely shut down with the hopes of someday coming back.  So, i am free to submit it elsewhere or with them again if they rise from the ashes. 

Where i submitted it was for gothic, but it really isn’t at all.  Not even close but i thought i could make a case for it because people kept trying to steer me that way.  They were seeing that. Why? I’m still unclear. 

I don’t know where it fits. It’s not gothic. It’s not horror, suspense, intrigue, western, romance, sci fi, biography, self help, home improvement.

You will have to submit it somewhere else, it's good, somebody needs to pick this up.

I'm no help with which genre to aim for. It has many different elements though, so this could possibly be in your favour? 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarsha
  • No - that's my answer. I've read some "meh" books lately, but it's been a while since a book snagged me and I couldn't put it down.  I've heard of The House in the Cerulean Sea.  I think I'll get those 2 books based on your review of The Whispering Door. Sounds like my kind of read:  magical realism.

@BevVincent I read somewhere on here over the week that you'd completed 2 short stories in 1 day. Bravo! Looking forward to reading them someday.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerBevVincentFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • FlakeNoir said:

You already have! 

....I would submit it to Rich Chizmar at CD.....seriously, your story is that good-and it doesn't have to fit any pre-determined genre.....if I wanted plumbing self-help, I'd go to the Anatomy section....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:

You already have! 

....I would submit it to Rich Chizmar at CD.....seriously, your story is that good-and it doesn't have to fit any pre-determined genre.....if I wanted plumbing self-help, I'd go to the Anatomy section....
    Well, it’s not really a chizmar story.  I can just see his target audience for the mag reading it and thinking, what the F was that? 

And i think cemetery dance has been closed to submissions since Lincoln dabbled in theater. 
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • @BevVincent I read somewhere on here over the week that you'd completed 2 short stories in 1 day. Bravo! Looking forward to reading them someday.
    One of them has already been accepted for publication -- waiting for word on when I can announce. The other one is in submission
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    No - that's my answer. I've read some "meh" books lately, but it's been a while since a book snagged me and I couldn't put it down.  I've heard of The House in the Cerulean Sea.  I think I'll get those 2 books based on your review of The Whispering Door. Sounds like my kind of read:  magical realism.

@BevVincent I read somewhere on here over the week that you'd completed 2 short stories in 1 day. Bravo! Looking forward to reading them someday.
    TJ Klune’s Under The Whispering Door was sweet and charming. There were moments where the pace could have picked up, but it just sort of quietly moved along. 

it was one big gentle hug. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:

You already have! 

Well, it’s not really a chizmar story.  I can just see his target audience for the mag reading it and thinking, what the F was that? 

And i think cemetery dance has been closed to submissions since Lincoln dabbled in theater. 
    Are you on Twitter? There are a lot of small publishers you can follow. They will post on Twitter when they're taking submissions. Maybe one of them will be the right fit for your story. I hope your story finds a good home!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:

You already have! 

Are you on Twitter? There are a lot of small publishers you can follow. They will post on Twitter when they're taking submissions. Maybe one of them will be the right fit for your story. I hope your story finds a good home!
    Thank you for the kind wishes. No, i don’t Twitter but I snoop. Maybe i can find the right fit. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:

You already have! 

Thank you for the kind wishes. No, i don’t Twitter but I snoop. Maybe i can find the right fit. 
    Here's a list to check out: https://twitter.com/i/lists/1402690970756423680?s=20&t=7V-G38N1rJYfbl1APlcaPg
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • .....ok, so I was talking out my ass again......and I have read a number of the CD stories....I have two huge collections, and yes-your story is that good.....I say WTF to a lot of them, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the visual/mental ride......you'll get published, keep plugging away....your talent shouldn't be hidden.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbencatMarsha
  • Finished Imperial Earth by Clarke. It has some thoughts in it worth mulling over and also a funny quote. There is a character in the book (written in 1976) that says "It took us americans many hundreds of years to realize that when someone is volunteering for the office of president is when we should start to get suspicious. The best are the ones that is dragged kicking and screaming into the White House and then decides to do a good job so he can be let loose for good behaviour". Has nothing really to do with the plot but is said in passing when he tries to explain american history (the story is set in 2276 with the celebration of the fifth centennial) to the main character, a man born on Titan, one of Saturns moons, and making his first visit to the homeworld. 
    Now i started Evolution by Stephen Baxter. It is a novel, not a science book, and it describes human evolution in in many chapters, each populated by a different species starting with Purgatorius, a proto Primate that lived at the end of Cretaceous times (rather an unforunate name for perhaps the first primate in existence i have always thought but it was found on Purgatory Hill in Montana) up to us and into the future. He has, in a rather convincing way, taking science and made fiction out of it. In the beginning we meet Purga, a member of the Purgatorius species, and the problems he encounter when the asteroid hits earth and killed the dinosaurs. Even if each chapter is a story in itself the novel is about time and where evolution might go next. Its scope is enormous and its about 750 pages thick. We'll see how far i will get. Written in 2002 so i guess some of the newest finds wont be here.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • .....yes sir, that name doesn't evoke hope or wonder....just begs the question-where is Dr. Dante?..... :D
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • @Grant87

hey there. I looked at your link to story submissions when you posted it and I’m picking your brain — there was one that was open till feb. 28th. It was horror i think. I don’t write horror so I just glanced at it. It did say specifically that they didn’t want a bunch of covid stories, but would consider them if good. I’ve tried to find it again, but can’t be sure it was one from that link. I could have seen it on someone else’s twitter. 

Does it ring any bells to you?
    GNTLGNTMarshaKurben