Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Got my copies of Cain’s Jawbone. I’m going to read it through as is, but won’t be able to solve. I know my limitations —  i do not possess a puzzler brain.  But, i will pretend and make wild predictions — and I will believe i’m brilliant. Maybe my dead grandad will help me — send me information. 😜  
    This book intrigues me so! Keep us posted!
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarsha
  • edited January 2022
    I’m on page 25. Just reading it as it is bound. Which is out of order.  

Man, I bet Bev or Robin Furth could figure it out because they have that research brain — anyone who could keep track of the order of things in The Dark Tower, they have that brain skill— it’s kind of the same thing really.  
    Characters, places, situations, settings, muuuurder.  

Anyone who has a puzzle brain, research brain — this is for you. 

KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • I’m on page 25. Just reading it as it is bound. Which is out of order.  

Man, I bet Bev or Robin Furth could figure it out because they have that research brain — anyone who could keep track of the order of things in The Dark Tower, they have that brain skill— it’s kind of the same thing really.  

Kurben, you should get the book. You’d dig up those mysteries and put them in order. 

All of you are smart, i would have great faith in you guys.  I’m too lazy. 😂
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • I’m on page 25. Just reading it as it is bound. Which is out of order.  

Kurben, you should get the book. You’d dig up those mysteries and put them in order. 

All of you are smart, i would have great faith in you guys.  I’m too lazy. 😂
    You're too kind, DJ!! 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • edited January 2022
    I also would point out, as we age, they say puzzles  and word games keep our brains sharp, fight dementia. Cain’s Jawbone would be a great brain stimulator. 
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTMarshacatFlakeNoir
  •  a dusty chest filled with petrified organs 

...."
    New from Wham-O!!!!".....great for kids of all ages!!.....
    MarshaNotaroKurbenHedda GablercatFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....it's a swell grab on the books bro, but the loss of yet another brick & mortar bookstore is a mighty painful thing....those of us who are CR's know EXACTLY how you feel.....wandering about the aisles of dreams, inhaling the scent of adventures waiting to happen....rubbing shoulders with fellow travelers to our special "territories"....yes, we know..... :(
    Very painful indeed. My wife and I were at our local mall recently, and I kept thinking back to when I would go to the Waldenbooks store in there and stare in awe at the shelves upon shelves of King paperbacks. I was probably around 10 or so. I loved going into that store whenever we would make it over to the mall. My stepdad had all of King's books in hardcover at home, but I loved going in there and building up my collection one paperback at a time.

Hedda GablerNotarocatKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • ...I know that mix of awe and marvel....even after I had pretty well completed my collection of King's work(except for the rare or unattainable), I would still find myself smack-dab in front of his grouping, staring slack-jawed at all the purty covers.....in all fairness though, I'm roont, and slack-jawed is pretty much a standard look....
    Hedda GablerKurbenMarshaFlakeNoircat
  • Don’t believe for a second
    GNTLGNTKurbenMarshaFlakeNoircat
  • Finished Cain’s Jawbone.  I wouldn’t have a chance of solving this.  I did see patterns that i could put together here and there, but not enough to solve it. 

GNTLGNTKurbenMarshaFlakeNoircat
  • Finished Beasts Before Us by Elsa Panciroli, a scottish Paleontologist thats written a very good and personal book about the story about the mammals origin and evolution. Had to take my time with this one. Quite a lot of new information to absorb. Starts way back in Carbon times before either reptiles or mammals had evolved, ca 350 million years ago and up to the more familiar, to us at least, mammal families starts to evolve which is after the dinosaurs left the stage. On the way we get acquainted with Amniotes, Synapsids, Therapsids, Cynodonts, Tritolodonts, Docodonts and finally true mammals which in the beginning were so small it takes a microscope to spot them, almost anyway. Its amazing what new technology, like CTR-scans of rocks, has given us so much new information. A much needed update on my existing knowledge of the subject. Written in 2021.
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNT
  • Finished Voyager (Outlander 3) on Saturday. Then yesterday, I zipped right thru @Marsha's Deja vu Dreams. (Well, all but the last few pages, I finished it up this morning.)Great 2nd part to the story, I enjoyed as much as the first! 

I never liked that Hal guy! 😉

FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    Finished Voyager (Outlander 3) on Saturday. Then yesterday, I zipped right thru @Marsha's Deja vu Dreams. (Well, all but the last few pages, I finished it up this morning.)Great 2nd part to the story, I enjoyed as much as the first! 

I never liked that Hal guy! 😉

Oh hell yes, totally agree. 😁
    catNotaroHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Third that. 
    NotarocatGNTLGNT

• Thank you all! So glad to hear you enjoyed it. <3
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarocatKurbenGNTLGNT
  • Docodonts

...I knew a girl that had a big ole Badocodont......

badonkadonk - Hungover Spiderman  Meme Generator
    KurbencatFlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Docodonts

...I knew a girl that had a big ole Badocodont......

badonkadonk - Hungover Spiderman  Meme Generator

GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarsha
  • ....sort of looks like a mole in need of rhinoplasty....
    KurbencatFlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....sort of looks like a mole in need of rhinoplasty....
    They are thought to have had a mole like way of living. It was a kind of protomole even though the real mammal moles did not evolve from them.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....sort of looks like a mole in need of rhinoplasty....
    They are thought to have had a mole like way of living. It was a kind of protomole even though the real mammal moles did not evolve from them.
    ....I am guessing there was at least some type of fossorial activity given the looks of the paws.... 
    catKurbenFlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarsha
  • OK, i fell for the temptation, yet again i may add, and bought 10 books for the price of 2 US dollars. Divided In Death by J.D. Robb, Devices And Desires by P.D. James (i do have hopes for this one, James can be very good), Who Killed James Dean? by Warren Newton Beath which, in spite of its title is a novel, i think of a gostly variation, Henderson, The Rain King by Saul Bellow which is a classic but i havent read it. John Grishams The Pelican Brief. Have neither read the book or seen the movie but i have heard of it. Is it any good??Second Time Around by Mary Higgins Clark. She is uneven but can be quite good at her best. Lets hope for a hit! Neanderthal by John Darnton where if got this right they discover in some remote area living neanderthals. I have, perhaps foolhardy, hopes for this because i am very interested in Neanderthals and they are worth a good novel about them (lets face it, once Auels bookseries reached book two they were practically out of it and the promise of the first book never lived up to). Whistle by James Jones which is apparently a war novel. I have have never heard about it and its compared to From Here To eternity and The Thin Red Line by the same author which are good ones!! Will be interesting. Then to round off we have Winter Prey by John Sandford which is a serialkiller novel. and Temple by Matthew Reilly which is a thriller based on finding some secret Inca  thing in Peru which could be a weapon today. Sounds silly but i needed a tenth book so i decided what the hell, i can always give it back, Right??
    GNTLGNTspideymanHedda GablercatMarsha
  • ....whenever you go on a book buying binge Kurb, it reminds me of this.... :D

Little Shop Of Horrors Feed Me Seymour GIF - Little Shop Of Horrors Feed Me  Seymour Plant - Discover amp Share GIFs
    KurbenspideymanHedda GablercatMarshaNeesy
  • Ok, i finished the first of my new bought books. Neanderthal by John Darnton and sadly this is not him doing for Neanderthals what Crichton did for Dinosaurs as the bookcover proudly boasted. It is escapism, true, and it is decent not more. Where crichton took both Paleontologists and dinosaurs seriously even if he made a thriller out of it here the depiction of the neanderthal society is not convincing, even misleading at times. It is still a thriller but the characters are not really good. I guess Neanderthals still have to wait for that novel. The only two that have been any good is Auels first book but i consider the series as a whole as a missed oppurtunity, especially book 5 and 6, she had a chance to do something interesting and even hinted at it in book 5 but then seemingly forgot all about it. The other is Robert Sawyers SF trilogy the Neanderthal Parrallax (Hominids, Humans and Hybrids) which is an interesting what if bookseries. They too have their weaknesses but they are the only ones that treated neanderthals like the variation of humans they were and not like some beastlike animal.
    catNotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Finished up Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr recently. Not normally a book I'd pick, but it was one of the most talked about books in 2021, so I figured I'd give it a shot. And I'm glad I did. It was really good. It has three separate storylines, spanning hundreds of years, and they're all compelling. This could not have been an easy book to write, but Doerr knocks it out of the park. It's a big book (600+ pages), but it reads fast. It's definitely worth checking out.

Now I'm reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I loved his first book, The Martian, and wasn't crazy about Artemis, his second book. I've heard nothing but great things about this one, and so far it seems like it's going to be on the same level as The Martian.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacat