Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• ...."Coo-Hoe!....you got some 'splainin' to do!!!"
    KurbencatMarshaHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • I finished up Gerald's Game yesterday and started Dolores Claiborne today.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTcat
  • Started two books. The Scarlet Plague by Jack London. written in 1915, one year before his death. It takes place about 2070 AD and the story is told by the only one still living that remember when the plague arrived in 2013. He tells of germs and how the sickness made people go scarlet in the face and die in a matter of two-three days. Hes telling his tale for rather unbelieving listeners (Cities that many millions lived in? You're kidding, All they know is herding their few animals and trying to stay away from the bears and wolves). So far liking it.
    The other one i started is The Normans by Lars Brownworth. The story starts when the frankish king Charles the Fat gives away what is now Normandy (named after the northmen) to the viking chief Rollo (or Rolf as his Norse name was). He was an adaptable kind of guy so changed his name to Roland to make it more frankish and married a french woman to be more accepted since the vikings was a minority in his land. This was ca 880 AD. William the Conqueror was his descendant. The book of course covers the invasion of England and the battle of Hastings where the long Norman line of english kings began. But the author is equally if not more interested in the other kingdoms the Normans created. For more than a century Normans ruled over southern Italy, Sicily and parts of north Africa in the very influential kingdom of Sicily. Also the Principate of Antiochia was ruled by Normans. So the Vikings descendants played a large role in creating powercentras in southern Europe that could compete with the Byzantine Empire the Spanish Caliphate in Cordoba. An achievement that should be just as noteworthy as the things they did in England. I've waited for a good book on this for while i known that the normans made much else beside Hastings there hasn't been as much written about it. Started well!! Wellwritten so everyone can understand even if i feel he oversimplifies sometimes. (when you write history often you have to simplify a thing with causes and effects so the written text will not be to convoluted but you must watch out for the oversimplifications). This is if you write a book that is meant to be read by the nonexpert. If you're writing an article in a historic journal or similar then to hell with simplifications. History is a complex science but it is not an exact science. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablercatHollyGolightly
  • Grant87 said:
    I finished up Gerald's Game yesterday and started Dolores Claiborne today.
    ....'ware the dust bunnies!.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacatHollyGolightly
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    I finished up Gerald's Game yesterday and started Dolores Claiborne today.
    ....'ware the dust bunnies!.....
    So i read the first 40 or so pages yesterday on my lunch break. And I will say they nailed the casting for the movie adaptation with Kathy Bates. It's so easy to hear her voice when you're reading the book.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNotarocatHollyGolightlyNeesy
  • ....Kathy is just incredibly good at "disappearing" into her roles....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNotarocatHollyGolightly
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....Kathy is just incredibly good at "disappearing" into her roles....
    She's one of the best, for sure.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNotarocat
  • edited December 2021
    I bought myself The Boys by Ron Howard and clint. Nice follow up to Ron’s Masterclass. 

And, I bought David Sedaris’s (or is it Sedaris’?) 
    a Carnival of Snackery. 

Like i’ve said, David and I  have a love/good God! relationship. 
    My writing is like his in style, only not as good. Or interesting. Or resembling writing. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenMarshaGNTLGNTcatHollyGolightly
  • ....going to begin my re-read of Gwendy 1 & 2 in anticipation of her final bow....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatMarshaHollyGolightly
  • Right now reading Beasts Before Us. A book about, mainly, the Synapsides. The kind of animal from which the mammals stem. They are very old, long before dinosaurs existed and go back to the Carbon Era, about 320 MYA (million years ago). Many where quite large. They all died out at the massextinction that separates the Triassic and the Jurassic periods, about 201 MYA. Dinosaurs and mammals had then evolved but were quite small but both survived that extinction possibly because they were small. Interesting to read about forerunners not much talked about.
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTMarshaHollyGolightly
  • edited December 2021
    This is a Synapsid and therefore a closer kin to us than any reptile because it from close relatives to them that we stem. I think the above pic is Therapsids, they evolved from Synapsids around 290 MYA. The main difference being in teeth and how the legs was placed, in synapsids sticking out from the side like in crocs but has moved to practically under the body with Therapsids.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • Kurben said:
    This is a Synapsid and therefore a closer kin to us than any reptile because it from close relatives to them that we stem. I think the above pic is Therapsids, they evolved from Synapsids around 290 MYA. The main difference being in teeth and how the legs was placed, in synapsids sticking out from the side like in crocs but has moved to practically under the body with Therapsids.

Yep. I inherited that nose. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • ....and I'm developing the crepe-looking skin......f*cking collagen loss.....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....and I'm developing the crepe-looking skin......f*cking collagen loss.....
    Oh, i got that too. So bad that people try to drape me from the ceiling at birthday parties. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Oh, i got that too. So bad that people try to drape me from the ceiling at birthday parties. 
    ....Sharpei's are always hitting on me!....I'm SO much more than a canine sex object...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • I do have good collagen in my face. I’m good at   collagening in the face.  That’s what gets party goers to cut me down, they see a face peeking between balloons. 
  • GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....Sharpei's are always hitting on me!....I'm SO much more than a canine sex object...
    I have Sharpei ass cheeks. Sort of roadkill Sharpei. 
  • GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Does Bondo crack when a car body panel moves or is warped slightly - Quora :D :D :D  
    FlakeNoirMarshaHollyGolightly
  • ....on a serious note(I know, I'm as shocked as y'all)...I have an entire library of Dean Koontz books that I need to part with....it's a comprehensive collection of everything he has released up until the last year or so, with some autographed and rare works included...I don't have the space anymore, and I'm just unenthused with his current/new publisher...if anyone is interested, please let me know and we'll figure out a way to get them shipped.....local libraries don't want someone else's books, used bookstores tell me "We cannot accept anymore inventory" and selling them on eBay would be a colossal pain in the ass, but may be my last resort....
    FlakeNoirMarshaNotarocatHollyGolightly
  • edited December 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Does Bondo crack when a car body panel moves or is warped slightly - Quora :D :D :D  
    You know, people actually inject crap like this into their but-tocks.

I love the brainiacs who think they are doctors ‘cause theys good at a’googlin’.   

Nope. I’m a natural girl — sashaying my way towards that unsuspecting man.  Boom chicka boom chicka boom… all sultry like. 

Things look good all snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug in clothes.  We lock eyes. The time is …now. 

The lights go out and holy hell!! All hands on deck!  Shit just went down. 

Save yourself, man!!!!
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaNotarocat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....on a serious note(I know, I'm as shocked as y'all)...I have an entire library of Dean Koontz books that I need to part with....it's a comprehensive collection of everything he has released up until the last year or so, with some autographed and rare works included...I don't have the space anymore, and I'm just unenthused with his current/new publisher...if anyone is interested, please let me know and we'll figure out a way to get them shipped.....local libraries don't want someone else's books, used bookstores tell me "We cannot accept anymore inventory" and selling them on eBay would be a colossal pain in the ass, but may be my last resort....
    I hear ya. I still buy books, but i try to pass them on quickly.  

Hope your Deans find a good home.  It’s always hard to rehome the things you love. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNotarocat
  • @Hedda Gabler This: I love the brainiacs who think they are doctors ‘cause theys good at a’googlin’.  

This made me think of the mug someone gave my daughter that reads:
    "Please do not compare your internet search with my pharmacy degree."

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • I read 20 books this year. That is just shameful. 
    Four of those were kid books. One probably 2nd grade reading level — Judy Blume’s Freckle Juice. 

I proudly logged it and the other kid books into my reading journal you judgmental bastids. 😜🤓

FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTMarshaKurben