Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Against The Fall Of Night by Arthur C. Clarke. An old classic that i havent read, yet
    bokomslag Against the Fall of Night
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNTMarsha
  • I finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir last night, and loved it. I really liked The Martian, but this one surpasses it, in my opinion. If you liked The Martian, check this one out.

Starting Horns by Joe Hill today.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarsha
  • I'm really liking Against the Fall of Night by Arthur C. Clarke. Short to the point and tells a straight story without a lot of sidetracks. It was just about 120 pages long and he later wrote a fullength novel called The City and The Stars that basically is the same story just built on. This was one of his first novels, about 1950, and i'm now thinking about starting one of his last, Time's Eye, that he wrote together with Stephen Baxter in 2001.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    I'm really liking Against the Fall of Night by Arthur C. Clarke. Short to the point and tells a straight story without a lot of sidetracks. It was just about 120 pages long and he later wrote a fullength novel called The City and The Stars that basically is the same story just built on. This was one of his first novels, about 1950, and i'm now thinking about starting one of his last, Time's Eye, that he wrote together with Stephen Baxter in 2001.
    ....would make for an interesting juxtaposition....fledgling writer to certified legend.....
    Hedda GablerNotarocatMarsha
  • edited January 2022
    Oh man. I went book crazy today. 

I had gift cards and gift money piled up and I shot my wad buying books. 

And i am surrounded by stacks of books already. Why did I need more? 

Why does buying books feel so good? I mean, really good. It’s that rush of adrenaline when you pick up that book, the feel of it in your hands, the beautiful artwork, the high octane, skin tingly  — wait, maybe that’s cocaine. 

……same diff. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • I have the same exact addiction, Deej!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarsha
  • Oh man. I went book crazy today. 

Why does buying books feel so good? I mean, really good. It’s that rush of adrenaline when you pick up that book, the feel of it in your hands, the beautiful artwork, the high octane, skin tingly  — wait, maybe that’s cocaine. 

……same diff. 
    Pin on Positive Quotes
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirGrant87catMarsha
  • Oh man. I went book crazy today. 

……same diff. 
    It's the best. I have a couple gift cards from Christmas I'm getting ready to use up on books. Can't wait.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Book two arrived today....

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • edited January 2022
    I’ve read 7 books for january. This is a remarkable feat given my attention span.  And last year, 2021, i read a total of 20 books and 4 of those were kid books! So, i am on a roll my friends.  

I have all day to get another read and recorded in my reading journal for January, a nice even 8 sounds good.  — will i find that perfect book? 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbencatMarsha
  • edited January 2022
    One of the books i purchased was Kelly Braffett’s new book, The Broken Tower. She will be with Owen in some live zoom thing tomorrow, Feb 1,  at Oblongbooks at 7 p.m. est in case anyone is interested in registering. 

NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • ...latest re-read because of the original version of the King story....

I shudder at your touch Hardback Edited By Michele Slung
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoircatMarshaNeesy
  • ....and of course, because of the title and "sex & horror" plug....I get from Tracy-"What the hell is that about?? Ghosts screwing?"........ :D :D :D
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoircatMarshaNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...latest re-read because of the original version of the King story....

I own this but gave never read it — good stories?
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarshaNeesy
  • Started Imperial Spain by J.H. Elliott. It has a few decades under its belt (written in the 1960,s) but is said to be one of the best available in english about its subject. It starts with the marriage of Ferdinand and Isabella in 1469 that united two kingdoms and created what we today call Spain. They had to fight a succession war in the 70,s against contenders until it was established but both were capable, charismatic and determined. It then follow Spains meteoric rise to be Europes richest and most powerful country in just a few decades and then its almost as quickly its downfall about 1700 when Charles II dies and the succession war that would place the Bourbons in his place breaks out.
    Imperial Spain by J H Elliott 9780141007038  PenguinRandomHousecom  Books
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarsha
  • Finished Horns last night. I liked it a lot. I've read 5 of Joe's books so far, and they've all been hits for me. I hope he gets back to novels soon, because he is such a talented writer.

Started Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay today.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablercatMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Horns last night. I liked it a lot. I've read 5 of Joe's books so far, and they've all been hits for me. I hope he gets back to novels soon, because he is such a talented writer.

Joe is fantastic, very smooth and always an easy read... captivating. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablercatMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...latest re-read because of the original version of the King story....

I own this but gave never read it — good stories?
    ....like any collection-it's a bit uneven, though that just may be my impression...I'm not a huge fan of so-called high brow erotica.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablercatMarsha
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:
    Finished Horns last night. I liked it a lot. I've read 5 of Joe's books so far, and they've all been hits for me. I hope he gets back to novels soon, because he is such a talented writer.

Pin on jOe HiLL
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablercatMarshaNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:

Pin on jOe HiLL
    😄always love this one
    NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablercatMarsha
  • One of the books i purchased was Kelly Braffett’s new book, The Broken Tower. She will be with Owen in some live zoom thing tomorrow, Feb 1,  at Oblongbooks at 7 p.m. est in case anyone is interested in registering. 

Ooh, I really loved the first book The Unwilling. I didn't know this was out! On my wishlist for hopefully soon!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurbenMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    Reading some nonfiction - The Letters Of Shirley Jackson. A fascinating collection of her letters - she was an insatiable correspondent- to her friends, parents, and even some fans whom she took a fancy too. She comes across as a very witty and funny person.

Fascinating glimpse into a horror icon.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablercatMarshaNeesy
  • cat said:
    One of the books i purchased was Kelly Braffett’s new book, The Broken Tower. She will be with Owen in some live zoom thing tomorrow, Feb 1,  at Oblongbooks at 7 p.m. est in case anyone is interested in registering. 

Ooh, I really loved the first book The Unwilling. I didn't know this was out! On my wishlist for hopefully soon!
    I have The Unwilling sitting here in my pile. So many books. 
    FlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNTKurbenMarsha