Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• My Gwendy was not supposed to be here til Tuesday but just checked the tracking and it was delivered today. 😁 Wish I had thought to check a while ago, could have stopped and got it while I was out. We have the cluster mailboxes at the end of the street, not at our houses. But will have to play taxi again in few hrs, will stop and grab it then. I'm going to have to leave it in the box until I get some chores done. I'm woefully behind, between being lazy around our anniversary and I've had 2 migraines this week. 😐
    Hedda GablerspideymanKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • cat said:
    My Gwendy was not supposed to be here til Tuesday but just checked the tracking and it was delivered today. 😁 Wish I had thought to check a while ago, could have stopped and got it while I was out. We have the cluster mailboxes at the end of the street, not at our houses. But will have to play taxi again in few hrs, will stop and grab it then. I'm going to have to leave it in the box until I get some chores done. I'm woefully behind, between being lazy around our anniversary and I've had 2 migraines this week. 😐
    Damn migraines! They suck. I hope you get to feeling better. 
    catspideymanKurbenGNTLGNTMarsha
  • cat said:
    My Gwendy was not supposed to be here til Tuesday but just checked the tracking and it was delivered today. 😁 Wish I had thought to check a while ago, could have stopped and got it while I was out. We have the cluster mailboxes at the end of the street, not at our houses. But will have to play taxi again in few hrs, will stop and grab it then. I'm going to have to leave it in the box until I get some chores done. I'm woefully behind, between being lazy around our anniversary and I've had 2 migraines this week. 😐
    Damn migraines! They suck. I hope you get to feeling better. 
    Thank you! ❤️ I have gotten rid of the pain from last night's but not the shaky, jello-y feeling. So I haven't accomplished much today. 
    Hedda GablerspideymanKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • Rest and fluids. Don’t push yourself. 
    catspideymanKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • cat said:
    Grant87 said:
    I finished The Haunting of Hill House the other day, and now I'm reading The Silent Patient while I wait for Final Task to come in the mail. I don't usually read too many thrillers, but The Silent Patient is highly regarded. I have 100 pages left to go. Most reviews I've seen talk about how great the twist ending is, so I'm curious to see how it wraps up.
    I will be interested in your thoughts when done. I won't say anything more, til you post again. 
    I finished it this morning. I really liked it. Very good mystery/thriller story. I liked the ending quite a bit. It didn't totally floor me, but it was definitely not what I expected either. I think it was worthy of all the praise it's received.
    catHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    cat said:
    Grant87 said:
    I finished The Haunting of Hill House the other day, and now I'm reading The Silent Patient while I wait for Final Task to come in the mail. I don't usually read too many thrillers, but The Silent Patient is highly regarded. I have 100 pages left to go. Most reviews I've seen talk about how great the twist ending is, so I'm curious to see how it wraps up.
    I will be interested in your thoughts when done. I won't say anything more, til you post again. 
    I finished it this morning. I really liked it. Very good mystery/thriller story. I liked the ending quite a bit. It didn't totally floor me, but it was definitely not what I expected either. I think it was worthy of all the praise it's received.
    I'm glad you liked it. I had it figured out almost from the beginning so I was a little disappointed but overall I thought it was a good enough story. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaFlakeNoir
  • cat said:
    Grant87 said:
    cat said:
    Grant87 said:
    I'm glad you liked it. I had it figured out almost from the beginning so I was a little disappointed but overall I thought it was a good enough story. 
    I think if I read thrillers more often, I would have seen it coming sooner. The bread crumbs were there throughout the story.

GNTLGNTcatMarshaFlakeNoir
  • edited February 2022
    200 pages into Gwendy….

you first. (Any you)
    catGNTLGNTMarshaFlakeNoir
  • ....have yet to start....just thought the dedication page was well-deserved.....
    MarshaHedda GablercatFlakeNoir
  • Havent got mine....
    MarshaHedda GablercatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....have yet to start....just thought the dedication page was well-deserved.....

<3 ;)
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Supposed to get mine tomorrow.
    Hedda GablerMarshacatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Haven't started my Gwendy yet. Trying to finish up a library book before it disappears from my kindle on Wed but the book is struggling to keep my attention.  I hate not finishing...but it really isn't that great. And adding to my dissatisfaction is knowing Gwendy is waiting. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenMarshaFlakeNoir
  • ....the siren song of King and Chiz......
    catKurbenMarshaFlakeNoir
  • I read Dackefejden by Tomas Blom. A swedish historian writes a book, wellwritten too, about the one really serious uprising against Gustav Vasa, king of sweden between 1523 to 1560. Whats interesting about it it, in sharp contrast to all other uprisings, is that no noblemen was involved anywhere, neither any other country. The title means approximately The Dacke Feud. In history Dacke has been painted in a very black color because the victors write the history. He was a minor farmer but obviously a charismatic one since he managed to persuade many thousands to follow him. It really was needed to get a bit more nuanced picture of him. Gustav Vasa was, at bottom, a good king but he was a ruthless one when needed (otherwise he wouldn't have stayed king for long, that was the realities of that time and to judge him or any king from that time by todays morals standards is very unfair) and he also was a master of propaganda. Some of that propaganda found its way into the history books as truth but in the later decades a more, and probably truer, picture has emerged. Usually just gets a chapter in a biography about Gustav Vasa so its nice to see an entire book about it.
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarshaFlakeNoir
  • Kurben said:
    I read Dackefejden by Tomas Blom. A swedish historian writes a book, wellwritten too, about the one really serious uprising against Gustav Vasa, king of sweden between 1523 to 1560. Whats interesting about it it, in sharp contrast to all other uprisings, is that no noblemen was involved anywhere, neither any other country. The title means approximately The Dacke Feud. In history Dacke has been painted in a very black color because the victors write the history. He was a minor farmer but obviously a charismatic one since he managed to persuade many thousands to follow him. It really was needed to get a bit more nuanced picture of him. Gustav Vasa was, at bottom, a good king but he was a ruthless one when needed (otherwise he wouldn't have stayed king for long, that was the realities of that time and to judge him or any king from that time by todays morals standards is very unfair) and he also was a master of propaganda. Some of that propaganda found its way into the history books as truth but in the later decades a more, and probably truer, picture has emerged. Usually just gets a chapter in a biography about Gustav Vasa so its nice to see an entire book about it.
    Sounds familiar. Bits of history, when we don’t learn, does repeat. 
    catKurbenGNTLGNTMarsha
  • 51 Gwendy pages to go. 
    catKurbenGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    I read Dackefejden by Tomas Blom. A swedish historian writes a book, wellwritten too, about the one really serious uprising against Gustav Vasa, king of sweden between 1523 to 1560. Whats interesting about it it, in sharp contrast to all other uprisings, is that no noblemen was involved anywhere, neither any other country. The title means approximately The Dacke Feud. In history Dacke has been painted in a very black color because the victors write the history. He was a minor farmer but obviously a charismatic one since he managed to persuade many thousands to follow him. It really was needed to get a bit more nuanced picture of him. Gustav Vasa was, at bottom, a good king but he was a ruthless one when needed (otherwise he wouldn't have stayed king for long, that was the realities of that time and to judge him or any king from that time by todays morals standards is very unfair) and he also was a master of propaganda. Some of that propaganda found its way into the history books as truth but in the later decades a more, and probably truer, picture has emerged. Usually just gets a chapter in a biography about Gustav Vasa so its nice to see an entire book about it.
    But it does make one wonder how many historic truths we still take for granted that is not how we perceive it today. Both in many centuries past and more recently.
    GNTLGNTMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:
    But it does make one wonder how many historic truths we still take for granted that is not how we perceive it today. Both in many centuries past and more recently.
    Exactly. They tried to change history then, and they are trying to change it now.  And the mentally ill just nod their heads and pump their fists with support .  It’s gross. They are gross. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Gwendy order still not shipped. :(
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Done with Gwendy. 

Back to End of Watch. 
    catKurbenGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Gwendy was on my front porch when I got home from work. Starting it tonight.
    catKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    Gwendy was on my front porch when I got home from work. Starting it tonight.
    Sat down intending to knock out the first 50 pages or so, and ended up reading the first 150 instead. It's off to a good start.
    catGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • The Levar Burton Reads contest winner is up on his podcast. 

The Last Truth by AnaMarie Curtis.  

catGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    Grant87 said:
    Gwendy was on my front porch when I got home from work. Starting it tonight.
    Sat down intending to knock out the first 50 pages or so, and ended up reading the first 150 instead. It's off to a good start.
    ...started mine last night....doling out the pages to myself, like Reese's Pieces to ET...
    catNeesyMarsha