Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Started The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah. Its a Hercule Poirot case written on commission for the Agatha Christie Foundation. I have known about this for some time and decided to check it out when it was on the big book sale. I only hope that they have found someone that can make at least some justice to Christie and Poirot. The one they let write some books with Lord Peter Wimsey was a total disaster so i hope the foundation found someone better. We'll see. To early to tell yet.
    NeesyHedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    Grant87 said:
    Gwendy was on my front porch when I got home from work. Starting it tonight.
    Sat down intending to knock out the first 50 pages or so, and ended up reading the first 150 instead. It's off to a good start.
    ...started mine last night....doling out the pages to myself, like Reese's Pieces to ET...
    These Gwendy books read so fast, though. I'll probably have it done by tomorrow.

Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesyMarsha
  • Started Paul McCartney’s The Lyrics. 

Fascinating. Smart. Informative.   Instead of writing s straightforward biography, he’s telling us what was going on while talking about a song. I love this. When I hear songs, I can immediately remember a time, place, people — feelings. My own stories surface through the soundtrack of my life so, I think what he did here is brilliant. 

It goes by songs alphabetically, so each song can be a completely different moment in time — we can be early Beatles and jump to Wings. And i sort of dig that. Very organic story telling. Not rigid like a biography from birth on through . 

And each song, there are photos of people and things “that went before….”  Many photos never seen.  

Each new story starts with the lyrics — i sing them. I read the story and then at the end, i hit youtube and listen to the song with the new information in my head. 

I’m spending time looking up people, writings, poets, places that he mentions. What is that? Where is this person today? Does that still exist? 

Because i’m doing that, it’s gonna take me a while to get through these books. There are two volumes. But, i will learn new things along the way, stir up old memories.

Worth my time. 
    KurbencatGNTLGNTNeesyMarsha
  • Started Paul McCartney’s The Lyrics. 

Fascinating. Smart. Informative.   Instead of writing s straightforward biography, he’s telling us what was going on while talking about a song. I love this. When I hear songs, I can immediately remember a time, place, people — feelings. My own stories surface through the soundtrack of my life so, I think what he did here is brilliant. 

It goes by songs alphabetically, so each song can be a completely different moment in time — we can be early Beatles and jump to Wings. And i sort of dig that. Very organic story telling. Not rigid like a biography from birth on through . 

And each song, there are photos of people and things “that went before….”  Many photos never seen.  

Each new story starts with the lyrics — i sing them. I read the story and then at the end, i hit youtube and listen to the song with the new information in my head. 

I’m spending time looking up people, writings, poets, places that he mentions. What is that? Where is this person today? Does that still exist? 

Because i’m doing that, it’s gonna take me a while to get through these books. There are two volumes. But, i will learn new things along the way, stir up old memories.

Worth my time. 

That sounds awesome Hedda - will have to look into getting these books as I love the Beatles - glad you're enjoying the read :)

Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Finished Gwendy's Final Task last night. I thought it was a fitting end to Gwendy's story.

Starting Nightmares & Dreamscapes today.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesycatMarsha
  • Got Gwendys Final Task today. Think i need to read through Magic Feather again first though. Also started The Rise Of Rome by Kathryn Lomas. The history of Italy from 1000 bc to the Carthage Wars. Whats good about is that it does not focus entirely on Rome as practically every other book on the subject. It deals with the Etruscans, the Latins, The Samnites, the Volsci, the Greeks and several other people living in Italy at the time. We know the outcome, Rome conquered and dominated the rest but the interesting question is why. For most of this time Rome was not more developed than its neighbors. So it sees Rome in context of its neighbors across the italian peninsula which gives us a chance to understand both Rome, their neighbors and why, when they in due time clashed, Rome was victorious. Interesting.
    Hedda GablerNeesyGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • edited February 2022
    I am reading End of Watch.  When i finish, i’m moving onto either The Institute or The Outsiders. Which is better? Yes, i know, personal preference but, which is just the better story? 

catGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • I am reading End of Watch.  When i finish, i’m moving onto either The Institute or The Outsiders. Which is better? Yes, i know, personal preference but, which is just the better story? 

I liked The Outsider better.
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • I am reading End of Watch.  When i finish, i’m moving onto either The Institute or The Outsiders. Which is better? Yes, i know, personal preference but, which is just the better story? 

Out of these two i preferred The Outsiders.
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • Oooo, 2 votes for The Outsiders right out of the gate. 
    catGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • ....I liked The Institute just a smidge better......
    MarshaHedda GablerKurbencatNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Finished Gwendy last night. Really enjoyed it. 

@Hedda Gabler I liked The Outsider a bit more than The Institute. They are both great. But, I would go with The Institute first. Holly (who I love!) is in The Outsider, and I think a little time between End of Watch and The Outsider serves her character well. Hard to really say why I think that without spoilers for you. 
    KurbenHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy

The Outsider
    KurbenHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Reading The Sture Murders by Tomas blom. Its about a rather notorious episode in swedish history, the Sture murders. The King after Gustav Vasa was his eldest son Erik XIV who was as ambitious and also suspicious as his father. Sadly he hadn't got the strength of character that the father had and the innate suspicion turned into persecution mania and a psychotic break. While there he ordered the torture and murder of many of the highest ranked nobles in the country (foremost among them the Sture family) and then he ran to the forest and wasn't seen for 4 days. When he returned, dressed in rags and rambling, he was taken care of but the damage was done. Nobody ever trusted him again even after he regained his senses. He was poisoned a few years later by his brother Johan that took the throne. Its a sad story really about a promising king that spirals into madness. Where he were those 4 days is forever a mystery because he ran into the woods dressed as a king and returned dressed as homeless man.
    catHedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I just started a nonfiction book called Eat to Beat Disease by William W. Li, MD - so far so good - it's the large type version from the library
    Here's a short review:

Eat To Beat Disease Review

Eat to Beat Disease is fascinating because it approaches diet as a way to aid your body’s natural defense against disease rather than just lose weight or give a miracle cure.

It gives the specifics of what you can eat, how much of it, and what benefits it has. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn a little more about how diet can not only prevent disease but also slow the aging process.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • ....nearing the end of Final Task.......the blending of writing styles has been epic....
    MarshaKurbenHedda GablerNeesycat
  • ....how in the hell did the Gubbna of Ohio get a name drop in Final Task????.....
    Hedda GablerNeesyKurbenMarshacat
  • Finished first volume of Paul McCartney’s Lyrics.

seventy pages into volume 2. 
    NeesyGNTLGNTKurbenMarshacat
  • ....finished Final Task.......it went where this man never thought anyone would boldly go before...
    Hedda GablerKurbenNeesyMarshacat
  • Felt like i need some first class locked room mystery so i'm reading The Judas Window by Carter Dickson. Real name John Dickson Carr. He is probably the best constructor of locked room mysteries ever. He does not have the flawless prosestyle of Sayers (though who has? he writes good enough). And he isn't as psychologically convincing as Christie when it comes to motive and method but his mysteries are absolutely topshelf. At least the first two decades... He still wrote good historical mysteries in the 50,s but his ordinary mysteries were not as good anymore.
    Hedda GablerNeesyGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Kurben said:
    Felt like i need some first class locked room mystery so i'm reading The Judas Window by Carter Dickson. Real name John Dickson Carr. He is probably the best constructor of locked room mysteries ever. He does not have the flawless prosestyle of Sayers (though who has? he writes good enough). And he isn't as psychologically convincing as Christie when it comes to motive and method but his mysteries are absolutely topshelf. At least the first two decades... He still wrote good historical mysteries in the 50,s but his ordinary mysteries were not as good anymore.
    I love locked room mysteries. Adding his name to my list. 
    NeesyGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Kurben said:
    Felt like i need some first class locked room mystery so i'm reading The Judas Window by Carter Dickson. Real name John Dickson Carr. He is probably the best constructor of locked room mysteries ever. He does not have the flawless prosestyle of Sayers (though who has? he writes good enough). And he isn't as psychologically convincing as Christie when it comes to motive and method but his mysteries are absolutely topshelf. At least the first two decades... He still wrote good historical mysteries in the 50,s but his ordinary mysteries were not as good anymore.
    Hey Kurben I went looking for this book at my local library online but it seems there was something wrong with the system and it didn't come up. I did find this one, though:

Swedish Art of Aging Well : Life Advice from Someone Who Will (Probably) Die Before You.

Have you ever heard of it?

GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenMarshacat
  • Neesy said:
    Kurben said:
    Hey Kurben I went looking for this book at my local library online but it seems there was something wrong with the system and it didn't come up. I did find this one, though:

Swedish Art of Aging Well : Life Advice from Someone Who Will (Probably) Die Before You.

Never. And that goes for both the book and the author. 
    As for The Judas Window it was written in the 30,s so you never know if the library has it or not though its considered a classic.
    GNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Neesy said:
    Kurben said:

Never. And that goes for both the book and the author. 
    As for The Judas Window it was written in the 30,s so you never know if the library has it or not though its considered a classic.
    I couldn’t get The Judas Window at the library kurben, but i did place a hold on Behind the Crimson Blind by him — have you read that one? 
    GNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • Started Deja Vu Dreams,  moving along nicely.....

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshacatFlakeNoirNeesy