Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Started Apocalypse by Dean Crawford. A thriller that has some scifi parts but basically a thriller. But i dont know it feels like its trying to be to clever for its own good. The hero does not know much in the begnning which can be allright but when the reader also feels like mystified and not in a good way it becomes a problem. We'll see if it gets better. If not it gets evicted from my collection. There are other books that need that space. Come on Apocalypse i know you can do it!!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesyNotarospideymancat
  • Apocalypse hasn't, so far, made a turn for the better.....  I made a break and read The Curse of The Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson. It isn't one of Dicksons best but still he almost had me believing in egyptian curses. He is very good at impossible crimes. This is is not a locked room but more of a a vanishing in thin air but is just as baffling.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotarospideymancatNeesy
  • found an exciting thing in an used bookstore close to work today. I know i'm doomed, a good used bookstore just a few steps away from where i work!!! How will i ever be able to refrain from buying a book? This time it was A Wrinkle In The Skin by John Christopher. A Global disaster story which he is very good at. His The Death Of Grass is excellent. So i have hopes for this one!
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymancatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    found an exciting thing in an used bookstore close to work today. I know i'm doomed, a good used bookstore just a few steps away from where i work!!! How will i ever be able to refrain from buying a book? This time it was A Wrinkle In The Skin by John Christopher. A Global disaster story which he is very good at. His The Death Of Grass is excellent. So i have hopes for this one!
    It's fine Kurben, you'll just have to rent the apartment next door as well to fit in your new bookshelves. 😁
    Hedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTspideymancatNeesy
  • Reading The Problem Of The Wire Cage by John Dickson Carr. Another of his impossible murders. Its a kind of variation of a locked room but there are no locks at all. The murder is committed in the middle of a clay tennis court but there is just the deceased footprints visible in the clay and still he has been strangled......
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNotaroNeesy
  • In reading Paul McCartney’s The Lyrics, I am shocked at how many songs are included that I have never heard.  It’s the after Beatles stuff, but still, I am just gobsmacked. 

And some of them I’m glad i never heard.
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited March 2022
    The Crooked Hinge — page 86 — my guess 

I removed my guess  because the spoiler opened in quoting it.  I don’t want to ruin it for others who might pick up the story. 
    I thought I had it. They had me believing I had it and then no!  They snatched my victory!

fun story, thanks for the recommend kurben.  I enjoyed that. 
    KurbenFlakeNoircat
  • I am reading Haroun and the Sea Stories by Salman Rushdie.  Very artistic little book.  I watched Salman's Masterclass which was very worth my time and I got to see Salman speak in person.  Very funny guy.  But I have never read one of his books.  Decided to remedy that.

Stephen King blurbed it. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • ...I blurbed it once....now I just wear a bib....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesycat
  • Finished Boy's Life a couple days ago. I liked it a lot. Fantastic coming of age tale. Now I'm reading My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenLou_SytsmaNeesycat
  • I had a talk with my boss and found out i got a raise, went out to lunch and snow started to pour down si i dived into the SF bookstore and bought Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. Felt it was appropriate considering the weather and that i was worth it considering the raise. The first story is Kings The End Of The Whole Mess but there is many authors represented including, Gene Wolfe, Octavia Butler and George Martin. Looking forward to it.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesycat
  • ...good news on the salary upkick....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesycat
  • Finally got my copy of Gwendys Final Task and devoured it. Great closing to the Gwendy trilog.! Added a new literary device to the toolbox - Chekov's Scorpion.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Boy's Life a couple days ago. I liked it a lot. Fantastic coming of age tale. Now I'm reading My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones.
    Excellent! Have you read anything else by McCammon? Love his books - especially his Matthew Corbett series. Then there's Swan Song, The Wolf's Hour, The Five and so much more.

Interested to read your thoughts on Chainsaw. Jones has a writing style that is off-putting to some.
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Boy's Life a couple days ago. I liked it a lot. Fantastic coming of age tale. 
    Have you read his Swan Song? Loved this one.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNeesycat
  • Kurben said:
    I had a talk with my boss and found out i got a raise, went out to lunch and snow started to pour down si i dived into the SF bookstore and bought Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. Felt it was appropriate considering the weather and that i was worth it considering the raise. The first story is Kings The End Of The Whole Mess but there is many authors represented including, Gene Wolfe, Octavia Butler and George Martin. Looking forward to it.
    Congratulations! On the raise and new acquisitions. 🙂
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesyKurbencatLou_Sytsma
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Boy's Life a couple days ago. I liked it a lot. Fantastic coming of age tale. Now I'm reading My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones.
    Excellent! Have you read anything else by McCammon? Love his books - especially his Matthew Corbett series. Then there's Swan Song, The Wolf's Hour, The Five and so much more.

Interested to read your thoughts on Chainsaw. Jones has a writing style that is off-putting to some.
    Oh! Snap...😀 McCammon is great, haven't read any of his Matthew Corbett, availability is difficult here. I've bought a couple online, but they were cheaply made I think as the print was very small and my eyes can't cope with this any longer.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNeesycat
  • Grant87 said:

I really like the Corbett stuff. 

I have Chainsaw on the TBR pile. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesycatLou_Sytsma
  • Kurben said:
    I had a talk with my boss and found out i got a raise, went out to lunch and snow started to pour down si i dived into the SF bookstore and bought Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. Felt it was appropriate considering the weather and that i was worth it considering the raise. The first story is Kings The End Of The Whole Mess but there is many authors represented including, Gene Wolfe, Octavia Butler and George Martin. Looking forward to it.
    Woo hoo!!!!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNeesycat
  • Grant87 said:

I haven't read any other McCammon yet. I've been buying up his books the last couple of years, though. I plan to read Swan Song this year, at least. I might squeeze another one of his books in there somewhere too. I'll just have to see. I've always heard a lot of good things about Mine, so I think that might be the next one I read after Swan Song.

I'm liking Chainsaw so far. I find when reading his books that it takes a little bit to get into the rhythm of his writing style. But when I do, I really get sucked into the story.
  • Kurben said:
    Tell me how Octavia Butler is. She has dome short stories I’ve been eyeballing on Levar Burton Reads.  
  • Finished The Lyrics. I had the best time listening to the songs, learning new stuff. Paul is smart and oh what a pretty boy. 
  • Grant87 said:
    Grant87 said:

I haven't read any other McCammon yet. I've been buying up his books the last couple of years, though. I plan to read Swan Song this year, at least. I might squeeze another one of his books in there somewhere too. I'll just have to see. I've always heard a lot of good things about Mine, so I think that might be the next one I read after Swan Song.

I'm liking Chainsaw so far. I find when reading his books that it takes a little bit to get into the rhythm of his writing style. But when I do, I really get sucked into the story.
    McCammon written many good ones. If we exclude the Corbett series for the moment (Good but hard to get hold of for reasonable prizes (at least for me in sweden)) then my faves are Swan Song, Mine, Wolfs Hour, They Thirst and Stinger.
    NeesyHedda GablerGrant87GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat