Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    Happened to wander in to a used bookstore

Sure Jan GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    This made me laugh pretty darn good. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotarocat
  • GNTLGNT said:

OK, Ok, that was perhaps a slight exaggeration but it is true that i hadn't planned to visit the store when i passed home but when i passed it seemed to call to me and it was a sirencall i could not disobey......  And i do admit i have a great weakness for used books.....
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:

OK, Ok, that was perhaps a slight exaggeration but it is true that i hadn't planned to visit the store when i passed home but when i passed it seemed to call to me and it was a sirencall i could not disobey......  And i do admit i have a great weakness for used books.....
    😄❤️
  • ....."Hi, I'm Kuben and I'm a Bibliomaniac".......(rest of group)...."Hi Kurben!"..... ;)
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNotarocat
  • Finished The Late Scholar by Jill Paton Walsh. One of her Lord Peter novels. I was a bit worried about this one because the other one i read, Thrones, Dominations, was a mess and not worthy of Sayers. This is several degrees better and even though she can't reach the height of the prose and characterizations of Dorothy Sayers (but then again, who can?) it is good enough. And i dont understand all the critics who say that the style is inseparable from Sayers way of writing and that you would think it was her wielding the pen. Nonsense! I have read everything Sayers has written several times and i certainly see differences. The biggest difference lies in the unriddling of the mystery which Sayers does much better (and then that was not Sayers forte, where she was greatest was in her   character building, not just the main character but all of them, prose and dialogue). Walsh does a good enough job of imitating Sayers style but the differences is there for all to see. The reason, i think, that this is so much better than Thrones is that the beginning of Thrones was written, actually, by Sayers. She introduced characters but when she stopped writing everything was at peace and noone in danger or even less so murdered. Walsh had to decide rather quickly what was to happen and how. This novel on the other hand she could plan from start to finish. I think that may be the reason for the big difference in quality.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotarocat
  • Started Flowers for the Judge by Margery Allingham. Featuring her sleuth Albert Campion who started as a Lord Peter Wimsey parody but soon developed own traits. Still it is a fact that without Lord Peter Campion would never have been born. The first book or perhaps two first are really too obvious pastiches to stand up today but after that Allingham grew into her own. She cant compare mysterywise with Christie or characterwise with Sayers and doesn't really try. Of the crime queens of this era (Christie, Sayers, Marsh and Allingham) she is the one closest to adventure/ thriller/spy novels and later Allingham became a big admirer of LeCarre. This book though is written in, i think, 1935 long before Lecarre. Campion is also the one of the sleuths that travels closest to the edge of law in some of his books. Something which Poirot, Marple, Lord Peter and Marsh sleuth Roderick Alleyn seldom, if ever, do. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • I finished up Insomnia last night. I liked it quite a bit. I really loved reading about Ralph and Lois. I thought they were fantastic characters. I know King takes some heat for his endings--I don't think it's justified--but the ending to Insomnia was pretty strong. 

Today, I started The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig. It has pretty strong reviews, and it's a finalist for the Bram Stoker Award. Hoping for good things.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Grant87 said:
    I finished up Insomnia last night. I liked it quite a bit. I really loved reading about Ralph and Lois. I thought they were fantastic characters. I know King takes some heat for his endings--I don't think it's justified--but the ending to Insomnia was pretty strong. 

Today, I started The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig. It has pretty strong reviews, and it's a finalist for the Bram Stoker Award. Hoping for good things.
    Ralph and Lois were pure joy to get to know. They delighted, charmed, broke my heart and left me with hope. Theirs was a beautiful story. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerGrant87
  • edited April 2022
    FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:
    I finished up Insomnia last night. I liked it quite a bit. I really loved reading about Ralph and Lois. I thought they were fantastic characters. I know King takes some heat for his endings--I don't think it's justified--but the ending to Insomnia was pretty strong. 

Ralph and Lois were pure joy to get to know. They delighted, charmed, broke my heart and left me with hope. Theirs was a beautiful story. 
    Perfect. What she said. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • If they ever adapt Insomnia, I think Richard Jenkins would make a great Ralph. I really like him as an actor, and he's who I envisioned when reading the book.
    Richard Jenkins - IMDb
  • Grant87 said:
    If they ever adapt Insomnia, I think Richard Jenkins would make a great Ralph. I really like him as an actor, and he's who I envisioned when reading the book.
    Richard Jenkins - IMDb
    Oh yes, absolutely perfect. Even more so now he's older too.

GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....he'll need to have those fingers removed from his shoulder first....that's got to be socially awkward to wander around with fingers out yer shoulder....
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGrant87
  • edited April 2022
    I always go to Ed Harris. Very similar looks though. 
    Grant87GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I always go to Ed Harris. Very similar looks though. 
    I think of him as more of a good bad guy. 
    GNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I always go to Ed Harris. Very similar looks though. 
    I think of him as more of a good bad guy. 
    True that . You got that right.   He proved that in Westworld. Amazing performance .  But, i do think he is versatile enough to be Ralph. I just see him for whatever reason.  It has been a long time since I read the book.  I might feel different now if I revisited the material. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited April 2022
    Ed Harris Biography  Fandango...I can see that...he's be a good egg....err, Ralph....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....laugh if you will, but I think Sally Field would be a good Lois....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....laugh if you will, but I think Sally Field would be a good Lois....
    No, no laugh. I think she has such warmth. She’s a great actress. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I love, love, love Sally... she might be a good Lois. 
    GNTLGNT
  • edited April 2022
    Was there a screen Insomnia based on  this book? TV?

Not thinking that movie by same name — this book. Why am I thinking it was done? 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Was there a screen Insomnia based on  this book? TV?

Not thinking that movie by same name — this book. Why am I thinking it was done? 
    I was thinking it was too, I had vivid pictures of a Ralph and a Lois in my mind, so I went searching. Nothing but that other film. Then it hit me... the elderly couple that fell in love in the rest home in The Green Mile, reminded me of their relationship.  I think it's those two that were in my mind.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurben
  • I’ve not seen Green Mile but something visually is in my head. Maybe King just wrote it where it was easy to roll tape in our noggins. . 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben