Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• The Dog of the South by Charles Portis. Recommended by Dave Barry. 

Portis wrote True Grit. 
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I have a question about Amazon. A couple weeks ago, I was browsing through my wish list on the app and noticed that it said I could no longer buy content for my kindle thru the app on my phone, I have to be signed in online to buy. Irritated me because I have been using the app exclusively for years. But apparently there is something going on between Google and Amazon and Google said we'll carry your app but people can't buy thru it anymore. 

Fine. Whatever. I went online. 

But today I was browsing my wish list and that led me down the shopping rabbit hole and I found some new stuff I want to add to my wish list. And now there is no add to list button. Not on the app or online. I have looked thru the menu, my acct menu, different spots on the site but cannot find how to add stuff. 

Has anyone else noticed this and/or figured it out?? I have several things I want to add. That's kind of an important button to just take away, in my opinion. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I have a question about Amazon. A couple weeks ago, I was browsing through my wish list on the app and noticed that it said I could no longer buy content for my kindle thru the app on my phone, I have to be signed in online to buy. Irritated me because I have been using the app exclusively for years. But apparently there is something going on between Google and Amazon and Google said we'll carry your app but people can't buy thru it anymore. 

Fine. Whatever. I went online. 

But today I was browsing my wish list and that led me down the shopping rabbit hole and I found some new stuff I want to add to my wish list. And now there is no add to list button. Not on the app or online. I have looked thru the menu, my acct menu, different spots on the site but cannot find how to add stuff. 

Has anyone else noticed this and/or figured it out?? I have several things I want to add. That's kind of an important button to just take away, in my opinion. 
    I went to get a book and put author and title and it took me to face creams. No book. Nothing to do with my search. I specified books. 

Something weird is happening .  I am waiting a few days to ket them figure it out . 
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • My add to list button is back this morning. 🙂
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Last night, Stephen Graham Jones won his second straight Bram Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a Novel for My Heart is a Chainsaw. He won last year for The Only Good Indians. If you haven't checked him out yet, I highly recommend it. He's well on his way to becoming the next great horror author. Plus, My Heart is a Chainsaw is the first book in a trilogy, with the second book coming out in February 2023.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurben
  • One of the many books I will be ordering is The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirGrant87
  • One of the many books I will be ordering is The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield. 
    I thought that one sounded cool. Let us know what you think about it. 
  • Grant87 said:
    One of the many books I will be ordering is The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield. 
    I thought that one sounded cool. Let us know what you think about it. 
    I admire him so much, I hope he does a great job. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Finished up Rose Madder the other day. My feelings are a bit mixed on this one. Norman was a very well-written character. I know this because I can't think of a character I've hated more than him. I really despise domestic abusers. I know 99% of the population probably does as well, but I encounter them regularly at my job and they really get my blood boiling. As for the book as a whole, I enjoyed it but felt it was a bit disjointed. Solid novel, but not to the level of Gerald's Game or Dolores Claiborne

Now I'm reading The Fireman by Joe Hill. I'm starting to run out of Hill books, as I'll only have Strange Weather left to read after this. I'll probably start checking out some of his comics while we wait for a new book. 

• Grant87 said:
    Finished up Rose Madder the other day. My feelings are a bit mixed on this one. Norman was a very well-written character. I know this because I can't think of a character I've hated more than him. I really despise domestic abusers. I know 99% of the population probably does as well, but I encounter them regularly at my job and they really get my blood boiling. As for the book as a whole, I enjoyed it but felt it was a bit disjointed. Solid novel, but not to the level of Gerald's Game or Dolores Claiborne

Now I'm reading The Fireman by Joe Hill. I'm starting to run out of Hill books, as I'll only have Strange Weather left to read after this. I'll probably start checking out some of his comics while we wait for a new book. 

Really a great description of this book and that character. This was by far the hardest of SK reads for me. 

Joe is fantastic isn't he? Like putting on my favourite woollen beanie in cold weather, so comfortable. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I really enjoyed Rose Madder.  I related to it.  I must re-read. 

Joe Hill books are wonderful.  I really admire him for taking his own path, not reveling that he was HIS son,
    and won awards for his own novels.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • .....Rose is a good read, as you say "disjointed" at times, but character strength wins again....it's also a DT n tie in wannabe IMO.....yes, Joe is quite the branch off the family tree.....though I found Fireman to be somewhat derivative and overlong....
    Hedda Gablernot_nadineFlakeNoirKurbenNeesy
  • I really did not like the part in Rose Madder  when she had help so fast.  Seemed inposssible.   Other than that a great read.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • Okay @BevVincent — what are your thoughts on Fairytale?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • Only 50 pages in -- enjoying it very much so far.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • edited May 2022
    I was headed to Barnes and Noble. I was going to purchase Chris Hadfield’s The Apollo Murders.  The sweaty masses were everywhere.  Got to freeway offramp and my better judgement said, “ abort, abort, abort.” So, unlike a speck of goo, I was able to safely — abort. 

I then drove to my local library and checked it out.  I will be reading that this weekend.

Sorry Chris, I really wanted to give you my money. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTcat
  • Just finished Jodi Picoult's Wish You Were Here. I enjoyed it...it is about covid but even though most everyone is sick of hearing/living/everything about the virus, it is a good story. Part love story, part what if, part taking inventory of life. She once again takes a current topic and weaves magic around it. 

Started The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams and am only 30 pages in, but I can tell I am going to love this one. Borrowed from the library but I've added it to my wish list, I know this will be one of those books that I must have my own copy of. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • McSweeneys Issue 66 McSweeneys Quarterly Concern Boyle Claire  Eggers Dave King Stephen 9781952119224 Amazoncom Books....just flipped 'er open.....Steve's "Willie The Weirdo" contained within.....
    catKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    McSweeneys Issue 66 McSweeneys Quarterly Concern Boyle Claire  Eggers Dave King Stephen 9781952119224 Amazoncom Books....just flipped 'er open.....Steve's "Willie The Weirdo" contained within.....

Where did you buy your copy? I need to pick one up.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    McSweeneys Issue 66 McSweeneys Quarterly Concern Boyle Claire  Eggers Dave King Stephen 9781952119224 Amazoncom Books....just flipped 'er open.....Steve's "Willie The Weirdo" contained within.....

Where did you buy your copy? I need to pick one up.
    ...I pre-ordered it last July from The Overlook Connection.....
    KurbenGrant87Hedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • Re-reading The Green Mile now. This book is pure magic. I love seeing the little bread crumbs he left along the way throughout the story, once you know what to look for. Great story, great characters, perfect writing. One of his absolute best.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Got this as vacation literature. Hope its a good beach read.
    The Living Dead
    Seemingly Romero started it and then sadly passed away and writer and big Romero fan Kraus got the task to finish it.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatNeesy
  • edited June 2022
    I have a slew of books going. But the one that will be a quick read for me is a David Sedaris —Holidays on Ice. 

It starts off with his career starting story, Santaland Diaries. I’ve read this many times. I’ve listened to him read it many times. Always makes me laugh. 

It’s about the year he was a Macy’s elf at Christmas. They had 22,000 people a day in Santaland. He had to do elf training. 

They were taught some sign language to greet deaf children. His sister Amy lived above a deaf girl so she knew a lot of sign. She taught David some and he was able to say, 

“santa has a tumor in his head the size of an olive. Maybe it will go away tomorrow but I don’t think so.”

😂🤣😂🤣😂❤️😂😂🤣🤣🤣
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatKurben