Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• I have a slew of books going. But the one that will be a quick read for me is a David Sedaris —Holidays on Ice. 

It starts off with his career starting story, Santaland Diaries. I’ve read this many times. I’ve listened to him read it many times. Always makes me laugh. 

It’s about the year he was a Macy’s elf at Christmas. They had 22,000 people a day in Santaland. He had to do elf training. 

They were taught some sign language to greet deaf children. His sister Amy lived above a deaf girl so she knew a lot of sign. She taught David some and he was able to say, 

“santa has a tumor in his head the size of an olive. Maybe it will go away tomorrow but I don’t think so.”

😂🤣😂🤣😂❤️😂😂🤣🤣🤣
    Oh wow... brilliant. 😂😂😂💜
    GNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I have a slew of books going. But the one that will be a quick read for me is a David Sedaris —Holidays on Ice. 

It starts off with his career starting story, Santaland Diaries. I’ve read this many times. I’ve listened to him read it many times. Always makes me laugh. 

It’s about the year he was a Macy’s elf at Christmas. They had 22,000 people a day in Santaland. He had to do elf training. 

They were taught some sign language to greet deaf children. His sister Amy lived above a deaf girl so she knew a lot of sign. She taught David some and he was able to say, 

“santa has a tumor in his head the size of an olive. Maybe it will go away tomorrow but I don’t think so.”

😂🤣😂🤣😂❤️😂😂🤣🤣🤣
    Oh wow... brilliant. 😂😂😂💜
    All the elves have elf names, jingle, snowflake, bell-- he called himself crumpet. On a day he was grumpy, he changed his name to Blisters. 🤣😂🤣
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNotaroKurben
  • cat said:
    Just finished Jodi Picoult's Wish You Were Here. I enjoyed it...it is about covid but even though most everyone is sick of hearing/living/everything about the virus, it is a good story. Part love story, part what if, part taking inventory of life. She once again takes a current topic and weaves magic around it. 

Started The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams and am only 30 pages in, but I can tell I am going to love this one. Borrowed from the library but I've added it to my wish list, I know this will be one of those books that I must have my own copy of. 
    I ordered The Reading List — that looked interesting from your recommendation. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • Now reading Jurassic Park. Not sure what it's about yet, but I'll let you all know when I find out.
    GNTLGNTspideymancatNotaroKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    Now reading Jurassic Park. Not sure what it's about yet, but I'll let you all know when I find out.
    .....Major Spoiler......It's a non-fiction book about Kurben's career as an archaeologist.....
    spideymanHedda GablercatNotaroKurbenFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    Now reading Jurassic Park. Not sure what it's about yet, but I'll let you all know when I find out.
    .....Major Spoiler......It's a non-fiction book about Kurben's career as an archaeologist.....
    Read some more at lunch today. I believe dinosaurs may be involved here. I'll keep reading.

Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTNotaroKurbenFlakeNoir
  • cat said:
    Just finished Jodi Picoult's Wish You Were Here. I enjoyed it...it is about covid but even though most everyone is sick of hearing/living/everything about the virus, it is a good story. Part love story, part what if, part taking inventory of life. She once again takes a current topic and weaves magic around it. 

Started The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams and am only 30 pages in, but I can tell I am going to love this one. Borrowed from the library but I've added it to my wish list, I know this will be one of those books that I must have my own copy of. 
    I ordered The Reading List — that looked interesting from your recommendation. 
    I hope you like it. I just finished it today. It was charming and a little funny and a little sad. But mostly it is charming. It comes together beautifully in the end. I really enjoyed it. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    Read some more at lunch today. I believe dinosaurs may be involved here. I'll keep reading.

....nah, they just dug up and revived Jeff Goldblum's career....
    catHedda GablerNotaroKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ....I don't usually reccy authors, but Billy Chizmar, Richard Chizmar's boy-o is quite the writer fella of his own accord....and like Owen King, a different flavor than Dad, but he certainly satisfies the cravings...his Patreon page is worth subscribing to....
    catFlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87Notaro
  • I listened to David Sedaris read his story Drama Bug. — l laughed. A lot. 

He catches the drama bug when a local actor comes to school. Long story shortish, the actor does Shakespeare and David falls in love with the language. So he goes home and will only speak to his family in Shakespeak. He is hilarious and I think what made me appreciate it is — this is shit I would’ve done as a kid. 

💯 percent me. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    You got that right!! I thought Sam Neill did a decent job of portraying me in the movie......
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • Finished Jurassic Park recently and I've now started The Lost World. As for Jurassic Park, I really liked the book. There were some pretty big differences between the novel and the movie. I'm curious to see where The Lost World novel takes the story from here.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gablernot_nadineFlakeNoircat
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    You got that right!! I thought Sam Neill did a decent job of portraying me in the movie......

.....you have him beat in the "rugged good looks" department....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Jurassic Park recently and I've now started The Lost World. As for Jurassic Park, I really liked the book. There were some pretty big differences between the novel and the movie. I'm curious to see where The Lost World novel takes the story from here.
    The book was very good.  I remember a bunch of co-workers and I passed it around work, then we all went to the movie together!
    Yes differences, but both were excellent.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerGrant87
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Jurassic Park recently and I've now started The Lost World. As for Jurassic Park, I really liked the book. There were some pretty big differences between the novel and the movie. I'm curious to see where The Lost World novel takes the story from here.
    .....maybe there'll be dino's in this one?......
    KurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • Grant87 said:
    The book was very good.  I remember a bunch of co-workers and I passed it around work, then we all went to the movie together!
    Yes differences, but both were excellent.
    Agreed! The book was much more violent than the movie, for sure. I wish the river scene could have been in the movie, though. That would have been something to see!

GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    .....maybe there'll be dino's in this one?......
    That's TBD. I guess there might be some dinos if this "Lost World" is actually found. We'll see.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • Read while i was away Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. Quite good. It is one of his Holmes books (the other was The House Of Silk) and he does it well. This deals with what really happened at the Reichenbach falls and why. It starts directly after both Holmes and Moriarty supposedly died there in Doyles short story The Final Solution. This is not really a pastiche, it stays true to the characters but Horowitz London is a darker and grimmer London than the one Doyle painted in his stories. Usually i don't really like authors who pick up a classic character or setting but this is well done and enjoyable.
    catFlakeNoir
  • Kurben said:
    Read while i was away Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. Quite good. It is one of his Holmes books (the other was The House Of Silk) and he does it well. This deals with what really happened at the Reichenbach falls and why. It starts directly after both Holmes and Moriarty supposedly died there in Doyles short story The Final Solution. This is not really a pastiche, it stays true to the characters but Horowitz London is a darker and grimmer London than the one Doyle painted in his stories. Usually i don't really like authors who pick up a classic character or setting but this is well done and enjoyable.
    Anthony Horowitz writes a lot of great YA stories. My kids loved him. 
    KurbenspideymanGNTLGNTcatHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Kurben said:
    Read while i was away Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. Quite good. It is one of his Holmes books (the other was The House Of Silk) and he does it well. This deals with what really happened at the Reichenbach falls and why. It starts directly after both Holmes and Moriarty supposedly died there in Doyles short story The Final Solution. This is not really a pastiche, it stays true to the characters but Horowitz London is a darker and grimmer London than the one Doyle painted in his stories. Usually i don't really like authors who pick up a classic character or setting but this is well done and enjoyable.
    This is definitely not YA. I have only read his more grown up crime stories. The House Of Silk, Moriarty and the freestanding and very good The Magpie Murders
    spideymanGNTLGNTcatHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Also read a book i borrowed at the hotel i was staying at; The Woman Across The Street by Lesley Pearse. Its about a young woman who lives at home and likes to, when she does her chores to look at her neighbors. One night The house is burnt down and she becomes a witness and is shocked when her father is arrested. So she starts to investigate herself because of course her father, her wonderful father, must be innocent. She learns a lot about both her family and the woman across the street. A kind of a mix between a crime novel and an ordinary novel. Easy to read, well written even if it loses pace in a few parts for a time. All in all i think it was good. One good thing was that it wasnt too long, just 350 pages which is short nowadays. Finished in a day while lazying around in a sunbed with occasional breaks to go to the pool to cool off.
    spideymanGNTLGNTcatHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ...coulda finished it quicker if you'd stuffed the book in a Zip-Loc bag and taken it to the pool with you.....follow me for more bibliophile tips...... :D
    catKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited July 2022
    Kurben said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Kurben said:
    This is definitely not YA. I have only read his more grown up crime stories. The House Of Silk, Moriarty and the freestanding and very good The Magpie Murders
    Sorry Kurben... I didn't mean to suggest these ones were YA, was meaning he also writes great stories for younger people too. 
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...coulda finished it quicker if you'd stuffed the book in a Zip-Loc bag and taken it to the pool with you.....follow me for more bibliophile tips...... :D
    😆
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy
  • I'm currently reading an e-version of Marsha's Disillusioned Dreams, the third story in her Arizona trilogy.
    Very enjoyable so far. 🙂
    catGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • ....I'm glad she is having some success with these....just couldn't hang with them meself...not that she's a poor writer-far and away from it!....just not my genre.....
    NotarocatKurbenHedda Gabler