Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• I’ve not seen Green Mile but something visually is in my head. Maybe King just wrote it where it was easy to roll tape in our noggins. . 
    Maybe so... this book especially was very visual by nature--probably because of the auras... and balloon string activity. 
    He does relationships and characters so gorgeously well.
    Hedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I’ve not seen Green Mile but something visually is in my head. Maybe King just wrote it where it was easy to roll tape in our noggins. . 
    Maybe so... this book especially was very visual by nature--probably because of the auras... and balloon string activity. 
    He does relationships and characters so gorgeously well.
    😄

he does that.  He is so good with characters. His dialogue is some of the best ever.  You are just there with them. It’s easy to see them.
    FlakeNoir
  • ...there have been chit-chat and rumors about a film, but nothing has ever hit celluloid or digital as yet.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • Just read a book called The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers which ended quite suddenly. Now I am wondering if this was written by someone else, as the author Lillian Jackson Braun died at age 97 in 2007. Maybe the author started it and someone else finished it.

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Started After America by John Birmingham. Its a kind of postapocalyptic novel. A disaster has struck and america tries to hang on to the idea of democracy but many forces in different parts of America breaks free and form mini semiindependent "kingdoms" of different kind. Just started it so no judgment yet.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Also done a reread of the charming book by Jostein Gaarder called Sophies World. A norwegian author and a book about a 13-14 year old girl that one day comes home from school to find a letter (no stamps or anything) with only a question inside: Who are you? That question is followed by more which lead her to think about things she havent thought about before. I really like it.
  • Just read Tana French's fourth book in her 6 book Dublin Murder Squad mystery series - Broken Harbour. Her mastery of place and broken characters is superb.

This series is less about solving the crime and more about unraveling characters and how they came to be and do the things they do. Melancholy is the one word description of the Dublin Murder Series.

You have to be in the right mood to read a Tana French book. Fortunately when you are, the rewards are plentiful.

She has also written stand alone murder mysteries. Highly recommend The Witch Elm and The Searcher - which is getting a sequel.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Started on a project. Reading Jonathan Sumptions 5-volume history over the hundred years war. This will take many months and probably last long into next year. Starting with the first book Trial By Battle. It is followed by Trial By Fire, Divided Houses and Cursed Kings. The fifth and final part is yet to emerge. Each book is between 600 and 800 pages. I've read books on the subject before but they have just skimmed the surface really and mostly the tale is told from an english viewpoint, that is we got to see why and what the english did what they did but not so much the french. Here he treats the subject as a feud in the family (which, in the beginning, it basically was) and then, of course, it cant be understood well if both sides arent there to tell their story. Starting with a description of France in the year 1328 when Charles IV died and the Capet dynasty come to an end. Who would get the most, then it was that, powerful crown in europe and start a new dynasty in France? A logical startingpoint for any history of this epoch. Written in a nice narrative style which i prefer. Never been a big fan of thematic histories, i think you lose too much context that way. Might work for historians but not for people who want to read good history.
  • Finished The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig last night. I liked it quite a bit. It's a big book (500+ pages), but reads fast, thanks to the short chapters. It has some similarities to Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, so if you liked that book, you might like this one too.

Reading Mr. Cables by Ronald Malfi today. It's a short novella, only about 80 pages, so I'll finish it tonight. I think Malfi is gonna be an author that just clicks with me. His novel Come With Me was one of my favorites last year. He's a writer that probably deserves more notoriety than he gets. I really like his writing style. He has a new novel called Black Mouth coming out in July, and the synopsis gives off strong IT vibes. I plan to read a lot more by him coming up.

Tomorrow, I'm starting Rose Madder. I'm excited for that one.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNeesy
  • This history of the hundred years war seems to be as good as everyone has said. I am 5 chapters in but the war hasn't started yet (1337 is the official year) and i am now on 1336. He is very good at letting us see the many factors and reasons for the kings, nobles and bishops and their actions. He spends just as much time on England as on France and also quite a bit on Scotland, one of Frances most important allies. At the same time he does this he manages, somehow, to keep the narrative going so the story never stands still. A rare feat among historians. Really glad i decided to buy it. This war deserved a really good history.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited May 2022
    @BevVincent

Is Picnic in the Graveyard only available as an ebook. I go to their link and don’t see physical book order capabilities ? 

There's a paperback edition on Amazon. Be forewarned--my story is...icky! I woke up thinking about it after reading the call for submissions and I had to write it down to get it out of my head!
    Hedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven

Recommended by Stephen Graham Jones. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy

eighty pages in and it is good. As Jones said, very Lord of the Flies set in a Florida theme park during a hurricane.  Fast read. Interesting story. Smooth writing. 

KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy

I'm guessing you listened to him on The Loser's Club podcast? That was a great interview. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven

I'm guessing you listened to him on The Loser's Club podcast? That was a great interview. 
    Yep
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirGrant87

eighty pages in and it is good. As Jones said, very Lord of the Flies set in a Florida theme park during a hurricane.  Fast read. Interesting story. Smooth writing. 

Not only LoftheF, but I’d add The Warriors into that description.

Very “warriors, come out and plaaaaay” vibes. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir

Throw in some Yellowjackets too. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • Finished Through the Looking glass and met Humpty Dumpty and he is indeed an egg that was probably a cannon .

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy
  • edited May 2022
    FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven

Throw in some Yellowjackets too. 
    Finished this one. This is good. Nice progression of story and characters. Of course, a couple Stephen King mentions but at this point I’ve decided, no author is legit without that. 

Dick has a big, red ball. (He lost the other in the war)
    Sally will settle for one ball. 
    Spot chews on balls. 
    Stephen King sells balls to vampires, wholesale. 

The End

there is room for a continuation of aspects of this story. I’d get on board . 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • Thinking of trying The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi (i think that is correct....). Read his The Windup Girl some years back and liked it. Also read a short story that wasn't a hit with me so i'm a bit undecided. Anyone read it??
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Not familiar with author or his stuff. Keep us posted on your opinion. I like adding new things to my pile. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT