Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• I finished reading "The Ink Black Heart," by Galbraith/Rowling. It took a little time to get used to the format, but once I did all was fine. I enjoyed the book, but I think that "Troubled Blood" was just so damned good that anything would have paled in comparison.
    Hey there! So nice to see you! Hope all are doing well your way. Drop a note if you get a minute. 
    SusanNortonKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Finished The Visitors by Clifford Simak. A good one by him. SF from the time when it told a story. Simak often has a slight humorous touch in his stories. This is, i guess, an alien invasion story but there are no bad aliens here. They look like enormous big black boxes and are kind if slightly contemptous of humans. Their main interest is eating trees for the celloluse and pay for it by making much improved cars that dont need fuel, roads or repairs. Little do they understand that their kindness wreck havoc on the human economic system. Kindness can be very devastating!
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Also read The World In Winter by John Christopher. The sun starts to give away less heat and the ice age return. Bigger parts of Europe and North America is uninhabitable. Which leads to migration and suddenly upper middle class british people find themselfes to be second class citizens in Nigeria. In part interesting study of racism turned upside down and in part a so called cozy disaster story.
  • Finished Powers and Thrones. An excellent history over medieval Europe. A tour de force!! Written by Dan Jones so i got inspired and started his Crusaders. It is, as you probably guessed, a history over the crusades (all of them, not just the ones against muslems but also the many against christians). Christianity during the Middle Ages was a very intolerant religion, much more so than Islam. This history though is written from the perspective of the participants, they may be kings, peasants, knights, nobles, or warriormonks or any nationality. Usually we hear this story from the leaders side, the kings, popes and nobles that led armies and persuaded the others to go, here thats just part of the story. We hear from all sides, from all classes and when it is in the hands of so great a narrator as Jones is i don't think the chance is high that his story will bog down halfway. Narration seems to be in his veins somehow.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Started a collection of Short stories. The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF. As in all collections of this type (well, almost all) some are really good and some you forget rather quickly. But the good ones are in majority and then, in my way of reckoning, it is a good collection.
  • Kurben said:
    Started a collection of Short stories. The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF. As in all collections of this type (well, almost all) some are really good and some you forget rather quickly. But the good ones are in majority and then, in my way of reckoning, it is a good collection.
    ...you speak true...far to often there's just a buncha dreck....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I found my old copies of the ebook novelization of Halloween I and II by Curtis Richards and Jack Martin, respectively. They both add so much more info to the Halloween series. Celtic spirits, ancient blood lust murder, a curse put upon a family that comes back around in 1963 to land on our young Michael Myers. Both are excellent expansions on the movie and "Jack Martin" is a pseudonym for Dennis Etchison who, if you read any sci-fi novels, his name will sound familiar.

Actual Product Display Primary Cover

KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ...who'd ya have help ya with the big werds??....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenghost19
  • I'm now deep into Crusaders by Dan Jones. Really good if not quite as good as his book on the Middle Ages in Europe (Powers and Thrones) which was a masterpiece in its genre. This has rivals among great Crusader histories (Steven Runciman, Jonathan Phillips) but is up there thanks to his great narrating skill. He devotes most space to the first crusade and i think rightly so since that is the foundation of all the others how and why it started and the reasons behind that was more complex than just religion and the things that it led to the rest would be hard to understand. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Am also reading The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF edited by Mike Ashley. It has a story by a Paul di Filippo in it. Is that a relation to Marsha?? Does anyone know?? Couldn't help but think the thought when i saw the name. It isn't that common, is it??
  • Kurben said:
    Am also reading The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF edited by Mike Ashley. It has a story by a Paul di Filippo in it. Is that a relation to Marsha?? Does anyone know?? Couldn't help but think the thought when i saw the name. It isn't that common, is it??
    ...born in Rhode Island, so I doubt it-but it isn't a name that pops out that often....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...who'd ya have help ya with the big werds??....
    I can manage a word here and there, but I do miss picture books...lol

FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Reading Bully For Brontosaurus by Stephen Jay Gould. One of his collections with essays on subjects more or less related to evolution and evolutionary history. Never boring, always entertaining. He had a way of taking an event, be it baseball or a duel between two british politicians that hated eachother, and somehow connect it to evolution in some way. Yoa are entertained and without really reflecting on it also educated. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Reading Bev's Book!   <3
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • ghost19 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

180 Awesomely Bad Books ideas  books book humor bizarre books....here ya go.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ghost19 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

180 Awesomely Bad Books ideas  books book humor bizarre books....here ya go.....
    🤢🤮
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • Currently reading True Believer by Jack Carr and Halloween Horrors edited by Alan Ryan. Halloween Horrors is an 80's horror anthology, featuring many of the big names in horror of the time (minus the biggest name). I've read the first four stories so far. I loved "He'll Come Knocking at Your Door" by Robert McCammon. Check that one out if you're looking for a cool Halloween short story by one of the genre's greats.
  • ...CD released a special edition of that collection, but I dragged my knuckles and didn't get it bought in time.....damn fool that I am.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited October 2022
    Grant87 said:
    Currently reading True Believer by Jack Carr and Halloween Horrors edited by Alan Ryan. Halloween Horrors is an 80's horror anthology, featuring many of the big names in horror of the time (minus the biggest name). I've read the first four stories so far. I loved "He'll Come Knocking at Your Door" by Robert McCammon. Check that one out if you're looking for a cool Halloween short story by one of the genre's greats.
    Listened to this on you tube last night. Very creepy. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirGrant87
  • Reading Bev's Book!   <3
    Ditto... and also listening to the Fairy Tale audio book. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    I've had Fairy Tale for a couple of weeks now.   I don't know why I am not starting it?
    Want to, but don't think I am quite ready.

Weird.  This is a first time for me.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...CD released a special edition of that collection, but I dragged my knuckles and didn't get it bought in time.....damn fool that I am.....
    I found this awesome UK paperback edition on Ebay. Look at that creepy cover!

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenghost19
  • We loved This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub. Poignant considering the circumstances under which she wrote it.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Starting The Fervor by Alma Katsu. Liked her The Hunger and her The Deep so has hopes. Started well. She has a knack of taking an historical event and then twisting it a little so dark things come up and face you. n The Hunger it was the crossing of the parairie, in The Deep it was the Titanic and here it is the internment of japanese americans in camps during WW2. Good writer!
  • Kurben said:
    Starting The Fervor by Alma Katsu. Liked her The Hunger and her The Deep so has hopes. Started well. She has a knack of taking an historical event and then twisting it a little so dark things come up and face you. n The Hunger it was the crossing of the parairie, in The Deep it was the Titanic and here it is the internment of japanese americans in camps during WW2. Good writer!
    I've got that one on my TBR. I really liked The Hunger and The Deep. If you like spy novels, check out Red Widow by her. She was in the CIA for a long time, so it definitely has an authentic feel to it. The sequel is coming out next year too.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler