Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    On page 225 of Finders Keepers.  Why is this thing making me nervous as a cat?  Hoping to get 100 pages more by the end of day. I would easily do it if i’d quit being distracted chasing cars. 

🦮🐩🤸🏽
    Emotional Rollercoaster Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from  CartoonStock
    Instead of 100 pages of Finders Keepers, i read 112 pages of Chasing the Boogeyman. 
    GNTLGNTNotaronot_nadineKurbenFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Scott gave you started reading Chasing yet?
    GNTLGNTNotaroKurbenFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Scott gave you started reading Chasing yet?
    ...no I haven't, about halfway thru Zombology, and the Boogy is next....
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • edited August 2021
    Let me know when you get going on it. 
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcat
  • 262 of Chasing.  I think i know who it is. 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited August 2021
    Done with Chasing the Boogeyman.  I’ll do my own little blab about tomorrow. 

And yes, i was right. But, there is a catch to my being right. 
    FlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • Let me know when you get going on it. 
    ...Roger Wilco!....
    Hedda GablerMarshacatNotaroFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...I think it's been at least mentioned previously, but if so I can't recall the answer...Bev?...you have quite the collection of short works, why not publish them as such?...that way, those of us that enjoy your writing can have a volume or volumes of just your material, instead of speckled in amongst dozens of anthologies....
    ...did I skeer him off??....
    Hedda GablerMarshacatNotaroKurbenFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    Chasing the Boogeyman

Performance Art is generally thought of as in-person happenings. But I see an author’s book as performance art because if the writing is skillful and the story good, I’m right in there with them. I’m seeing it. I can touch it and it touches me. In fact, they’ve invited me up on stage to help and guide their characters.  I am walking their world too, shoulder to shoulder with their creations. And i’m trying to figure it out. I’m second guessing everything, searching for clues too. 

I want to say, every loose string i thought i found, every hole in someone’s storyline, every a-ha, gotcha!  I thought I’d discovered, Richard Chizmar stayed the teacher and I remained the student.  From beginning to end he kept track of the things I focused on and nicely manipulated me like a boss. 

I was concerned at first with the groundwork. Beautifully written and absolutely my childhood too, living not that far from Richard during the same time — he wrote my life too even though i was a girl. We can minus the shit-in-the-hand incident for sure and a couple other little scenes, but basically same childhood. (Boys are gross, but shine on you magnificent beasts.)  

Anyway, all that groundwork was a beautiful boy’s memoir but a big information dump that had me concerned.  Why did we need all that? 

Aaahhhh, i see.  We needed it because this was deeply personal to this man. This world was his world and we needed to see it, feel it, understand it.  Love it as much as he did.  And the “real” blended with the “fiction” so smoothly, I’m pretty sure Richard’s parents invited me for dinner.  So, trying to be the best Velma I could be, I jumped in to solve the mystery.  I almost did, but to keep this spoiler free all I will say — I was in the ballpark most of the book and late in the game, foul ball.  But, I stayed on the same team and squeaked by a win. 

I stand and applaud the creative vision, I thank everyone who put their time and energy into this.  Plenty of Stephen King mentions and easter eggs for those who dig that. Nice photo credit to Shane Leonard, the go-to Stephen King photographer. Plus shout-out to all the real actors who came to the project as photo images and the real or not real contributors of these case photos.  Great jacket design and cover art, author photograph.  Check back cover for all those creative people and companies and give them some love. 

Just a terrific piece of art all the way around.  

So Richard, what’s next? Can i read it now? 🥰
    GNTLGNTcatNotaroKurbenFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Chasing the Boogeyman

Performance Art is generally thought of as in-person happenings. But I see an author’s book as performance art because if the writing is skillful and the story good, I’m right in there with them. I’m seeing it. I can touch it and it touches me. In fact, they’ve invited me up on stage to help and guide their characters.  I am walking their world too, shoulder to shoulder with their creations. And i’m trying to figure it out. I’m second guessing everything, searching for clues too. 

I want to say, every loose string i thought i found, every hole in someone’s storyline, every a-ha, gotcha!  I thought I’d discovered, Richard Chizmar stayed the teacher and I remained the student.  From beginning to end he kept track of the things I focused on and nicely manipulated me like a boss. 

I was concerned at first with the groundwork. Beautifully written and absolutely my childhood too, living not that far from Richard during the same time — he wrote my life too even though i was a girl. We can minus the shit-in-the-hand incident for sure and a couple other little scenes, but basically same childhood. (Boys are gross, but shine on you magnificent beasts.)  

Anyway, all that groundwork was a beautiful boy’s memoir but a big information dump that had me concerned.  Why did we need all that? 

Aaahhhh, i see.  We needed it because this was deeply personal to this man. This world was his world and we needed to see it, feel it, understand it.  Love it as much as he did.  And the “real” blended with the “fiction” so smoothly, I’m pretty sure Richard’s parents invited me for dinner.  So, trying to be the best Velma I could be, I jumped in to solve the mystery.  I almost did, but to keep this spoiler free all I will say — I was in the ballpark most of the book and late in the game, foul ball.  But, I stayed on the same team and squeaked by a win. 

I stand and applaud the creative vision, I thank everyone who put their time and energy into this.  Plenty of Stephen King mentions and easter eggs for those who dig that. Nice photo credit to Shane Leonard, the go-to Stephen King photographer. Plus shout-out to all the real actors who came to the project as photo images and the real or not real contributors of these case photos.  Great jacket design and cover art, author photograph.  Check back cover for all those creative people and companies and give them some love. 

Just a terrific piece of art all the way around.  

So Richard, what’s next? Can i read it now? 🥰
    And just to say, a lot of reviewers are likening  this story to this book or that author.  I could do this too but I’m not going to. This book deserves to stand on its own merit, its own two legs. 

catNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarsha
  • edited August 2021
    Review pet peeve:

If i have to read “coming of age” story/book as a description one more time, I’m going to barf in my shoes. For christ sakes, you people are writers, can you not give us a fresh, creative way to say that?  I have no doubt that’s what it is when you tell us that, but damn! that phrasing is so tired, it needs 2 Restoril and an apnea monitor. 
    catNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarsha
  • 2 Restoril and an apnea monitor
    Restoril Oral Uses Side Effects Interactions Pictures Warnings amp  Dosing - WebMD
    Apnea Monitors  Rent Finance Or Buy On KWIPPED...per your order Doctor....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroMarshacat
  • I got The Massacre Of Mankind by Stephen Baxter. Its the sequel to The War Of The Worlds by Wells. It was authorized by his estate. I got curious to see what he did of it. I've read some books by baxter and he can be good. He can also be terribly wordy and longwinded and frankly boring. Its like he sometimes get so interested in what he writes that he forgets to push the story forward. Because his stories are often ideadriven. He wrote a rather interesting one of earth where the ocean rises and starts to swallow the land. Flood it was called, the follow up Ark was not as good. So hes a bit of a hit or miss author. We'll see in which cathegory this is. Think my faves of his are The Time Ships and Evolution. 
    GNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablercatFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • Be sure to let us know which side he falls on. 
    catKurbenFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Let me know when you get going on it. 
    ....slight delay, FINALLY received Billy yesterday-so it's my next victim....
    Hedda GablerKurbencatFlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • ...about damn time!!.....
    Hedda GablerKurbencatFlakeNoirMarshaNotaro
  • I m reading a book of short stories by Tobias Wolff — Our Story Begins. 

I will get back to Finders Keepers eventually. 
    GNTLGNTKurbencatFlakeNoirMarshaNotaro
  • I haven't gotten any reading in this week, with the littles here. But the weekend is just around the corner and Chasing the Boogeyman is waiting patiently.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Still making my way through Needful Things. I'm really loving it. Still waiting on my copy of Chasing The Boogeyman to come in. That will be my next read, if it ever gets here.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    I want to gnaw on my cat’s soul right at the moment. Bought a david Sedaris paperback yesterday — Naked — and i woke up this morning to find vampiric puncture wounds on the cover. I’m going to vampiric puncture wound his face. 
    KurbenMarshaFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • I want to gnaw on my cat’s soul right at the moment. Bought a david Sedaris paperback yesterday — Naked — and i woke up this morning to find vampiric puncture wounds on the cover. I’m going to vampiric puncture wound his face. 
     :o  Hope that's the name of the book!
    KurbenMarshaHedda GablerFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • I want to gnaw on my cat’s soul right at the moment. Bought a david Sedaris paperback yesterday — Naked — and i woke up this morning to find vampiric puncture wounds on the cover. I’m going to vampiric puncture wound his face. 
     :o  Hope that's the name of the book!
    Good God! Nobody wants to see that.
     🤣

yes, NAKED is the name of the book. 
    KurbenFlakeNoircatMarshaGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Where did you post about Die Laughing bev?  It’s available for order now, yes? 

FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTNotaro