Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Received an ARC of Gwendy's Final Task a couple days ago. Not very far into it yet but looking forward to some reading time this afternoon.
    Hedda GablercatFlakeNoirspideymanNotaroGNTLGNT
  • edited September 2021
    @bev vincent — what is this Smoke in the Stars?
    MarshacatFlakeNoirspideymanNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Finished @Marsha's book this morning! I enjoyed it.  Nice writing style, I could hear your voice, probably from reading your posts through the years, but it was comfortable reading, easy to get pulled right into the story.  I also liked the story the dreams were telling, the end took me by surprise. It is a great first book! Looking forward to reading the next one and beyond! 
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaspideymanNotaroGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    Finished @Marsha's book this morning! I enjoyed it.  Nice writing style, I could hear your voice, probably from reading your posts through the years, but it was comfortable reading, easy to get pulled right into the story.  I also liked the story the dreams were telling, the end took me by surprise. It is a great first book! Looking forward to reading the next one and beyond! 

Thank you so much! That just made my day. <3
    FlakeNoirspideymanKurbencatNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • @bev vincent — what is this Smoke in the Stars?
    It's a science fiction anthology that contains my space-pirate story "The Vengeance"
    FlakeNoirspideymanNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarsha
  • @bev vincent — what is this Smoke in the Stars?
    ...it's an old rock standard by Deep Purple.....
    NotaroMarsha
  • Marsha said:
    Received an ARC of Gwendy's Final Task a couple days ago. Not very far into it yet but looking forward to some reading time this afternoon.
    ...looking forward to this one......
    Hedda GablerNotarocatKurbenMarsha
  • edited September 2021
    Finished reading Bon: The Last Highway, it claims to give the truth surrounding the myths about the AC/DC singer Bon Scott's death and his involvement in the Back In Black album, did he write the songs or didn't he. Ultimately what's on offer here is all just hearsay, recollections from people who were addicts and alcoholics who were loaded up on their substance of choice at the time, they constantly contradict each other and themselves, and when I read the line " I think it's safe to assume" multiple times throughout the book then you know it's all guesswork. Is it an interesting read, yes it is, but is it the definite truth, definitely not.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • edited September 2021
    Nice run down. Too bad no answers. I was curious. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • Notaro said:
    Finished reading Bon: The Last Highway, it claims to give the truth surrounding the myths about the AC/DC singer Bon Scott's death and his involvement in the Back In Black album, did he write the songs or didn't he. Ultimately what's on offer here is all just hearsay, recollections from people who were addicts and alcoholics who were loaded up on their substance of choice at the time, they constantly contradict each other and themselves, and when I read the line " I think it's safe to assume" multiple times throughout the book then you know it's all guesswork. Is it an interesting read, yes it is, but is it the definite truth, definitely not.

...and sadly, supposition like this muddies the waters even further......
    Hedda GablercatNotaroMarsha
  • Reading The Time Machine for the first time in ages! Recently bought a collection of 5 of Wells most known stories in a nice edition for a song. It has The Time Machine, Island of Doctor Moreau, Invisible Man, War Of The Worlds and First Men In The Moon. Just had to read one of them to get the feel of the book you know? I think Timetravel and Alien invasion was inventions of Wells while the Spacetravel and Slightly Unhinged Scientist Verne had written about earlier. Highly enjoyable anyway.
    Hedda GablercatNotaroFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Going to give Hitchhikers Guide part 6 a try, it's been sitting on my shelf for over a decade, couldn't bring myself to pick it up,

Hedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Finished Chasing the Boogeyman yesterday. Really liked it, It was definitely original. While the ending wasn't a surprise for me, it didn't take anything away from my reading experience either. I'm a big fan of Rich's work, and I think this is his best yet. I'm excited to see what he does next.

Today, I started Come With Me by Ronald Malfi.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenMarshaGNTLGNTcat
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Chasing the Boogeyman yesterday. Really liked it, It was definitely original. While the ending wasn't a surprise for me, it didn't take anything away from my reading experience either. I'm a big fan of Rich's work, and I think this is his best yet. I'm excited to see what he does next.

Today, I started Come With Me by Ronald Malfi.
    ....Chiz is a very enjoyable "one of us" kinda guys....he has honed his craft well....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • ....so, I'm making my way through Marsha's book...as Cat said, it's definitely her voice if you've met Marsha or read any of her posts....she has done well thus far with her tale, and no-it's most certainly not in my wheelhouse, as books go-but I am truly enjoying what she's done....her research work and first hand knowledge of the area is impeccable and I can't help but feel that some of her protagonists thoughts, actions, hopes, dreams etc aren't at least a glancing blow of real life....I'm just now arriving at what appears to be the budding "romance" part of this first book, but will bravely soldier on, I'm still holding out hope for a beheading or a zombie..... :D
    KurbencatFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....so, I'm making my way through Marsha's book...as Cat said, it's definitely her voice if you've met Marsha or read any of her posts....she has done well thus far with her tale, and no-it's most certainly not in my wheelhouse, as books go-but I am truly enjoying what she's done....her research work and first hand knowledge of the area is impeccable and I can't help but feel that some of her protagonists thoughts, actions, hopes, dreams etc aren't at least a glancing blow of real life....I'm just now arriving at what appears to be the budding "romance" part of this first book, but will bravely soldier on, I'm still holding out hope for a beheading or a zombie..... :D

:D   Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. :D <3 
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbennot_nadineHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • Got my copy of Things I Didn't Know My Father Knew by Peter Crowther today.

I think this is a combination of stories new and old.  Let's see what he can do for me with this one.  
    catNotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTKurben
  • Just got my copy of Billy Summers (finally!) - currently reading Death of a Ghost - about Hamish MacBeth - a Scottish policeman [detective novel] by M.C. Beaton

GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarshacatNotaro
  • ...I'm now on a Chizmar kick.....

Darkness Whispers Chizmar Richard Freeman Brian James 9781945373879  Amazoncom Books
    FlakeNoirNeesyHedda GablerMarshacatNotaro
  • I'm still reading Outlander #2. No way I will be ready for the new book next month. Will just have to keep plugging along and get to it when I get to it. 

Looking forward to a new Chet and Bernie book this month and also a new Scott Carson (aka Michael Koryta) book! 
    GNTLGNTNotaroMarshaHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...I'm now on a Chizmar kick.....

Darkness Whispers Chizmar Richard Freeman Brian James 9781945373879  Amazoncom Books
    .....this had quite the Needful Things vibe to it....
    catKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerGrant87
  • Started the Mammoth-trilogy by Stephen Baxter. A SF-trilogy that takes place during the Iceage with Mammoths in the leading roles. They have a society, clans, matriarchs and there is intrigue too. First book is Silverhair, second is Longtusk and third is Icebones. I like books where man is not the only intelligent animal. Baxter can be a bit wordy but he is often interesting. I liked his sequel to Wells The War of the Worlds, The Massacre Of Mankind, where he stayed reasonable true to wells setup. So i thought i should try this.
    Also been reading Prehistoric Mammals which is interesting since it tells the story of where we came from. It also goes into the story of the mammallike creatures that existed before there were true mammals, the so called Protomammals (because they looked very much like mammals and mammals evolved from them) or more correct from a scientific point of view the Synapsids They existed long before the Dinosaurs. The first Mammals are nearly as old the Dinosaurs but stayed rather small during their reign. It was first when the dinos died out that the mammals started to diversify and grow in size.
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy