Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...I'm now on a Chizmar kick.....

Darkness Whispers Chizmar Richard Freeman Brian James 9781945373879  Amazoncom Books
    .....this had quite the Needful Things vibe to it....
    It definitely did! I liked this story. It was a very quick read too, if anyone is looking for something spooky that can be read in a day.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...I'm now on a Chizmar kick.....

Darkness Whispers Chizmar Richard Freeman Brian James 9781945373879  Amazoncom Books
    .....this had quite the Needful Things vibe to it....
    It definitely did! I liked this story. It was a very quick read too, if anyone is looking for something spooky that can be read in a day.
    ...the plotting drove it at warp speed and even though the derivative feel is there, it's tweaked just enough to be a sort of(unintentional?)homage instead of a rip and re-write...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatGrant87
  • Finished Come With Me by Ronald Malfi last night. This book was fantastic. I had never read anything by Malfi before, but he's a pretty well-known author in the horror community. While this novel is more of a mystery, I can see why his work is so highly regarded. This was truly a book I didn't want to put down. I could easily see it being adapted into a mini-series for Netflix or some other service. I think a lot of people on here would really enjoy it. Highly recommended!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerMarsha
  • Reading In Search Of The Castaways aka The Children Of Captain Grant by Jules Verne. A complete translation. For some reason translations of him in english speaking areas has often been subpar and often incomplete. Thankfully that has started to change. The one i had before was shortened. So far the differences are relatively minor but they are always in characterization and some dialogue, not plot elements. Still it adds up to quite a chunk of pages in the end. I just dont accept it! Its like cutting away pieces of a song or a big chunk of a painting or a motion picture and still expect it to be the same. One of my fave Verne books so i'm having a great time. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Finished this one, Bruce Dickinson the vocalist for Iron Maiden's autobiography, very interesting, and  very funny in places....

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    Finished this one, Bruce Dickinson the vocalist for Iron Maiden's autobiography, very interesting, and  very funny in places....

Is this THE Bruce Dickinson?

The cock of the walk, baby. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Notaro said:
    Finished this one, Bruce Dickinson the vocalist for Iron Maiden's autobiography, very interesting, and  very funny in places....

Is this THE Bruce Dickinson?

The cock of the walk, baby. 

NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshaNeesy
  • My copy arrived this evening...

FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • Notaro said:
    My copy arrived this evening...

Snap...

KurbenNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • @Notaro and @FlakeNoir-- enjoy Arizona Dreams. A great story and enjoyable read. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • Currently reading The October Country by Ray Bradbury. My first time reading anything by him, and I'm liking it a lot. I love the subtle creepiness of the stories. They really remind me of old Twilight Zone episodes.
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    Currently reading The October Country by Ray Bradbury. My first time reading anything by him, and I'm liking it a lot. I love the subtle creepiness of the stories. They really remind me of old Twilight Zone episodes.
    ...first time?....wow old buddy, you have SUCH a journey ahead of you.....

60 Ray Bradbury quotes on Tech Life amp the Future 2021
    Hedda GablerKurbenGrant87FlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • Grant87 said:
    Currently reading The October Country by Ray Bradbury. My first time reading anything by him, and I'm liking it a lot. I love the subtle creepiness of the stories. They really remind me of old Twilight Zone episodes.
    Wait. Wait. Wait. Back this train up. This is the first thing you’ve read by him? How did this happen?  
    GNTLGNTKurbenGrant87FlakeNoirMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    Wait. Wait. Wait. Back this train up. This is the first thing you’ve read by him? How did this happen?  
    ...recent excavations in his neighborhood allowed him to emerge from beneath his rock....
    Hedda GablerKurbenGrant87FlakeNoirMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    ...recent excavations in his neighborhood allowed him to emerge from beneath his rock....

I know. I know. I'm working on fixing the situation :p
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:

fix-it-button - Above The Sun
    Grant87Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:

fix-it-button - Above The Sun
    One of those buttons would sure come in handy with the "honey-do" list.

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Grant87 said:

Holy hell... I'm too scared to admit anything now. 😳☺ I think... (???!)  I've read one. But I can't remember what it was. 

MarshaGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • edited October 2021
    FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:

Holy hell... I'm too scared to admit anything now. 😳☺ I think... (???!)  I've read one. But I can't remember what it was. 

You won't have to be alone. I'm pretty sure I've never read any of his work, either.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:

Facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Marsha said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Grant87 said:

You won't have to be alone. I'm pretty sure I've never read any of his work, either.

Facepalm GIF - Facepalm - Discover amp Share GIFs
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • “If you want to write, if you want to create, you must be the most sublime fool that God ever turned out and sent rambling. You must write every single day of your life. You must read dreadful dumb books and glorious books, and let them wrestle in beautiful fights inside your head, vulgar one moment, brilliant the next. You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads. I wish you a wrestling match with your Creative Muse that will last a lifetime. I wish craziness and foolishness and madness upon you. May you live with hysteria, and out of it make fine stories — science fiction or otherwise. Which finally means, may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.”
    ― Ray Bradbury
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • I've read The Kraken Wakes aka Out Of The Deeps by John Wyndham. A really good SF writer. Probably did his best work in the 50,s and early 60,s. For that time he was a rarity because he almost always had a strong female lead, not just a wife, sister or lover but whose ideas actually are important for the plot. The narrator is always male though so we aren't always aware of the wise decisions of her until later. This book is no exception.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • edited October 2021
    Tana French has quickly become one of my favorite writers. Her mystery books are intense character studies that are so bleak yet within them lies a small kernel of fragile hope struggling to go on at the end of the story. Her latest book - The Searcher - is about a recently divorced Chicago cop moving to an isolated village in Ireland to start over. The setting in her stories are as important as the characters and man she can really paint a picture in your mind.

I've enjoyed all her books with The Witch Elm deserving special mention.
    MarshaHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTGrant87Neesy