Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Busy day there Deejers, enjoy the Foo.

(My phone just converted "Deejers" to "Avengers" 🤣)
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • I like that!!!!
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I've just watched Black Widow..... is this a coincidence 🤔😀
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh good God...!!!! I'm unversed in the movie, but I know what the spider does! Irish! Steer clear, it might not be safe! 😲
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • I'm reading The Killers Of The King by Charles Spencer. He is a historian and also a related to Lady Di in some way. This is about how Charles I of England first lost the Civil War and then the many talks, opinions and suggestions that the winning side had of what to do with the King now that he was their prisoner and the war was won. That he was beheaded was only because Cromwell and his allies kicked out his former allies and chose a whole new Parlament where he had personally said OK to the members. Then he got his deathpenalty. He had also chosen the jurors that judged the king. When Charles II came to power after Cromwells death he started systematically to hunt down the still surviving people that had signed the kings deathpenalty. About 80 people though about 30 of them were dead by the time Charles II came to power. Is that being a good son? But he still managed to govern the kingdom. He had that gift of getting along with people that both his father and brother (Charles I and James II) totally lacked. He was extremely good at putting up a facade which made many underestimate him as just the king with more mistresses than he could count. But he was very far from stupid. It takes a good deal of cunning and clever handling, knowing when to compromise and when to hold to keep the the parlament in reasonable good spirits. As soon as his brother succeeded him it was clear that that it was he that had held it all together. They kicked his brother out shortly afterwards and invited William of Orange, a dutch noble married to Charles II sister Mary to be king.
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Charles Spencer is Lady Di’s brother. Did he do a good job?  Sounds interesting as always. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Charles Spencer is Lady Di’s brother. Did he do a good job?  Sounds interesting as always. 

So far a very good job. Sometimes he digresses a tad too much but it is nothing to really complain about. We get to know a lot about these king murderers and who they were and its interesting to see how different they were. Some were religious fanatics, some was just tired of seeing their country, that they loved very much, being so mishandled. For lets face it, Charles I was an incompetent King even if he did not mean any harm to his subjects. But a majority did not want to kill a king, they just wanted the misrule to stop. I thought it might be him, the brother i mean, but wasn't sure. Did not know he wrote history books.
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Is charles II the one whose parents hated him to the point that when his wife was having a baby, they snuck her down the back stairs so they could have the baby somewhere outside the palace ?  Who was that ? 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...Thanks Maryann!....I was going to nominate The House On Maple Street.....
    House on Maple Street is long. 

I’m looking for his shortest short stories. Not including poetic type things like Paranoid and For Owen. 
    Sorry Not Sorry  You Need to Hear This Piece of Advice  by Betty Liu   Medium
    FlakeNoircatHedda GablerMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...Thanks Maryann!....I was going to nominate The House On Maple Street.....
    House on Maple Street is long. 

I’m looking for his shortest short stories. Not including poetic type things like Paranoid and For Owen. 
    ....just realized I used a man's measurement, cuz to me....this is six inches....

Showing Small Thing Gesture Hand Gesture Stock Photo Edit Now 532005904
  • The Lawnmower Man 

i’ve not seen the movie but i know it’s different enough stephen had his name taken off. 

What was different? Was the movie any good? 
    ...sucked ass with both lips.....
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh good God...!!!! I'm unversed in the movie, but I know what the spider does! Irish! Steer clear, it might not be safe! 😲
    Scarlett Johansson  Black widow avengers Black widow marvel Black widow  scarlett....I'd let her rescue me....just sayin'.....
  • Is charles II the one whose parents hated him to the point that when his wife was having a baby, they snuck her down the back stairs so they could have the baby somewhere outside the palace ?  Who was that ? 
    Charles II came from a loving family. His father had many faults as a king but was, by all accounts, a loving husband and father. Charles in all probability also loved his wife. She had the unfortune of suffering from a string of miscarriages and it soon became clear that she would never have a baby. Then both his supporters and his enemies wanted him to get a divorce and remarry because they wanted an heir. He flatly refused, one of the times he took a stand. I doubt he would have done that if he hadn't loved his queen or at the very least been very fond of her. He did not gain anything by refusing the divorce and remarriage, it would have been sensible not to, and lost quite a bit by staying married to a queen who could not give him an heir. An heir was very important to have in those days and the main reason to get married for kings.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircatHedda GablerMarsha
    As for the one who snuck his wife away so she would have the baby outside the palace youre thinking of Frederick, Prince of Wales, the eldest son to George II. He was part of the Hanover dynasty. Frederick never became king since he predeceased his father in 1751 aged just 44. That he and his parents hated eachother is perhaps a bit strong but they certainly disliked eachother. He had grown up separated from them and they never managed to grow close again when he meet them again in england as a grown man. He was fond of gambling, drinking and women which his parents disliked. When he noticed that his wife had gone into labour he sneaked her out of the palace so that the king and queen would not be present at the birth. They were horrified as royal births by tradition were witnessed to ensure that no funny business had taken place. For 5 years he was banned from the court. 
    FlakeNoirNotarocatHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    Is charles II the one whose parents hated him to the point that when his wife was having a baby, they snuck her down the back stairs so they could have the baby somewhere outside the palace ?  Who was that ? 
    As for the one who snuck his wife away so she would have the baby outside the palace youre thinking of Frederick, Prince of Wales, the eldest son to George II. He was part of the Hanover dynasty. Frederick never became king since he predeceased his father in 1751 aged just 44. That he and his parents hated eachother is perhaps a bit strong but they certainly disliked eachother. He had grown up separated from them and they never managed to grow close again when he meet them again in england as a grown man. He was fond of gambling, drinking and women which his parents disliked. When he noticed that his wife had gone into labour he sneaked her out of the palace so that the king and queen would not be present at the birth. They were horrified as royal births by tradition were witnessed to ensure that no funny business had taken place. For 5 years he was banned from the court. 
    Thank you Kurben.  I don't know how you keep all these intrigues in your head.  I know the stories, just don't who the culprit it is most of the time.
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • ...he has a very large head....on his neck, you sickos!!....

Top 30 Star Trek Cage GIFs  Find the best GIF on Gfycat
    KurbenHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • @BevVincent

i noticed at book store yesterday that there are a couple publishers dabbling with inserts in The Classics.  Gorgeous books.  Removable objects like your Illustrated Stephen King. 

I would like to think they were inspired by your book — is there any way you can draw your publisher’s attention to these and get a reissue of yours with inserts reinserted?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroMarshacat
  • ...I would purchase that myself....reading the version without inserts right now....great esoterica, especially the photos....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerMarshacat
  • @BevVincent

i noticed at book store yesterday that there are a couple publishers dabbling with inserts in The Classics.  Gorgeous books.  Removable objects like your Illustrated Stephen King. 

I would like to think they were inspired by your book — is there any way you can draw your publisher’s attention to these and get a reissue of yours with inserts reinserted?
    Oh Gawd I would love to be able to have this book. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    @BevVincent

Oh Gawd I would love to be able to have this book. 
    The inserts are so cool. If i would’ve known they were going to take them away, i would have bought a couple more to give as gifts. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • ….Bev should be proud of this one…the writing and formatting mesh nigh on flawlessly….
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroMarshacat
  • Started The Best of Me by David Sedaris. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Finished reading Billy Summers last night. Starting Needful Things today.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished reading Billy Summers last night. Starting Needful Things today.
    ....I'm sure you'll find EXACTLY what you need..... :D
    catKurbenGrant87FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha
  • Got The Mirror & The Light by Hilary Mantel. The third and final part of her great trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, the minister of Henry VIII. The first two were Wolf Hall and the second Bring Up The Bodies and were both great. Historical novels that are really good. My expectations are high.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarsha