Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• FlakeNoir said:
    It is him, I didn't realise he'd written books, I always find him entertaining in his show. What did you think of Home Stretch,  Bev?
    This is the third book from him I've read, and they've all been uniformly good. I read them to my wife and she is totally captivated by this one, begging me to read more and more each session. 
    It's so lovely that you guys do this, very sweet. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenNotaroHedda GablerMarshacatNeesy
  • We started doing this with poetry and then, on a vacation, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Now we do it every night.
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshacatNeesy
  • ....it's a sweet activity Bev....I can't read to Tracy, she says I sound to much like I'm "playing DJ"..... :D
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Had run out of Michael Koryta audiobooks offered through my library but needed one for the drive to/from MA. I'm behind the curve on this one but finally getting around to Gone Girl. I didn't realize this was such a long book--the audiobook version is 19 hours so have only made it just under halfway so far.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatNeesy
  • Recently finished The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Both were really good. I liked The Handmaid's Tale more, but I thought The Testaments was a good follow-up.

After those I read Goblin by Josh Malerman. It's a collection of six novellas all taking place in the fictional town of Goblin. It's sort of Malerman's attempt at creating his own Castle Rock. I liked the town and how each story added a little more to the overall story of the town, but I was a little let down by this collection. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would.

Now, I'm reading Sphere by Michael Crichton. Really enjoying it so far. I have several of Crichton's books, but this is the first I've read.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshacatNeesy
  • Grant87 said:
    Recently finished The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Both were really good. I liked The Handmaid's Tale more, but I thought The Testaments was a good follow-up.

After those I read Goblin by Josh Malerman. It's a collection of six novellas all taking place in the fictional town of Goblin. It's sort of Malerman's attempt at creating his own Castle Rock. I liked the town and how each story added a little more to the overall story of the town, but I was a little let down by this collection. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would.

Now, I'm reading Sphere by Michael Crichton. Really enjoying it so far. I have several of Crichton's books, but this is the first I've read.
    Glad you enjoyed Crichton. He seldom lets you down in my experience. Glad to hear your view of The Testaments. Havent read it yet, it is in my TBR pile, but have read The Handmaids Tale which was really great.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshacatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Grant87 said:
    Recently finished The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Both were really good. I liked The Handmaid's Tale more, but I thought The Testaments was a good follow-up.

Glad you enjoyed Crichton. He seldom lets you down in my experience. Glad to hear your view of The Testaments. Havent read it yet, it is in my TBR pile, but have read The Handmaids Tale which was really great.
    Good to hear! What are your favorite Crichton books?

And after reading The Testaments, I picked up a couple more Atwood novels, Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin. She's a fantastic writer. Can't wait to check out more of her work.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshacat
  • When it comes to Crichton my fave is Timeline but Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Sphere, The Andromeda Strain and Congo are not far behind. And you are right in that Atwoods a stunning writer. So far i havent read anything i did not like by her. If you like her check out also The Robbers Bride, The Heart Goes Last, Oryx And Crake, The Year Of The Flood, Madaddam and the short story collection The Stone Mattress.
    Grant87FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshacatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    When it comes to Crichton my fave is Timeline but Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Sphere, The Andromeda Strain and Congo are not far behind. And you are right in that Atwoods a stunning writer. So far i havent read anything i did not like by her. If you like her check out also The Robbers Bride, The Heart Goes Last, Oryx And Crake, The Year Of The Flood, Madaddam and the short story collection The Stone Mattress.
    Thanks for the recs! For my next Crichton, I'm either going with Timeline or Jurassic Park and The Lost World. Haven't made up my mind yet.

KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshacat
  • ...as I've mentioned before, The Andromeda Strain will always be my favorite of Crichton's because my Dad introduced me to it....
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNotaroGrant87cat
  • I just read an article yesterday that a lot of men are less likely to read a book if they know a female wrote it.  Obviously, you guys will read good books-- period.  But do you find this true in the guy-reading community?  

I guess a lot of females will just use their initials so men think the thriller in their hands is written by a man.  
    FlakeNoirKurbenMarshaNotaronot_nadinecatNeesy
  • I just read an article yesterday that a lot of men are less likely to read a book if they know a female wrote it.  Obviously, you guys will read good books-- period.  But do you find this true in the guy-reading community?  

I guess a lot of females will just use their initials so men think the thriller in their hands is written by a man.  
    ...I couldn't care less the gender of the writer....the story is what matters....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNotarocatNeesy
  • edited July 2021
    I want to recommend an author so I'm going to post this in a couple of places.  And yes, this will be one of my rambling bullshit things, but I hope you'll stick with me.

Kobi Yamada writes children's books.  They are the most amazing things ever.  Their messages speak more to adults really, I think.  But you catch a kid early and you can instill in them these wonderful ideas.

Both my sons graduated from 4 year college.  My oldest moved to another state with a job and was doing well.  But, as a mom, I saw more potential in him.  I knew he wasn't living to his abilities.  He's wicked smart and quick witted, funny.  Anyway, I ran into a Kobi Yamada book titled:  What Do You Do With A Chance?   I read this and immediately purchased it to send to my son.  It's a children's picture book. But the message is huge.  Not delivered in a childish way, not talking down to children, but lifting them up with big ideas.

So, I write him a personal message in the front of this book and my last line to him was:
    "Sometimes you just have to take a chance, baby boy."

He called me and started crying.  He said it was a message he needed to hear and it came to him at the perfect moment.  And guess what?  He took a chance.  And that chance?  Graduating with his Master's Degree in teaching. He just did it.  I'm so proud.

In one of his classes,  he had to write some big paper (he has not shared it with me) but he credited me for sending him this children's book and Kobi for the message it contains.    

The head professor of the Masters Program called him and let him know how moved she was by his paper and that she personally knew Kobi and his wife and asked if she could share his paper with Kobi.  Of course he said, "Hell yeah!"  

So you know what?  You never know what small thing you do at just the right time that is going to make a huge difference to someone's life.  I just purchased his new children's book "Trying" today.  I started crying in B & N just reading it.  And then I read it again sitting in my car in the parking lot and continued to blubber.  

Yes.  I'm a strange duck.  But I like the duck I am.

If you have anyone in your life who needs a message delivered in a simple, elegant, charming loving way, check out his books.  Buy one for this person and give them the gift of empowerment. 

Thank you for your time.  This has been a public service announcement from your local PBS channel and from viewers like you.
    FlakeNoirKurbenMarshaNotaroGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • That's really fantastic, thanks for sharing.
    Hedda GablerKurbenMarshaNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • Too hot to read much new stuff but i have done some rereading. Two Christies, After The Funeral and Hickory Dickory Dock and i have started Tarzan of The Apes. Burroughs wrote 24 books about him!! Far too many but the first two are actually quite good adventure stories. Also started Nocturnal by Scott Sigler. I've read thrillers by him before and they can be good, sometimes there are a slight supernatural twist to them but not always. I think this one leans towards the supernatural though, we'll see.
    FlakeNoirMarshaNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • I want to recommend an author so I'm going to post this in a couple of places.  And yes, this will be one of my rambling bullshit things, but I hope you'll stick with me.

Kobi Yamada writes children's books.  They are the most amazing things ever.  Their messages speak more to adults really, I think.  But you catch a kid early and you can instill in them these wonderful ideas.

Both my sons graduated from 4 year college.  My oldest moved to another state with a job and was doing well.  But, as a mom, I saw more potential in him.  I knew he wasn't living to his abilities.  He's wicked smart and quick witted, funny.  Anyway, I ran into a Kobi Yamada book titled:  What Do You Do With A Chance?   I read this and immediately purchased it to send to my son.  It's a children's picture book. But the message is huge.  Not delivered in a childish way, not talking down to children, but lifting them up with big ideas.

So, I write him a personal message in the front of this book and my last line to him was:

He called me and started crying.  He said it was a message he needed to hear and it came to him at the perfect moment.  And guess what?  He took a chance.  And that chance?  Graduating with his Master's Degree in teaching. He just did it.  I'm so proud.

In one of his classes,  he had to write some big paper (he has not shared it with me) but he credited me for sending him this children's book and Kobi for the message it contains.    

The head professor of the Masters Program called him and let him know how moved she was by his paper and that she personally knew Kobi and his wife and asked if she could share his paper with Kobi.  Of course he said, "Hell yeah!"  

So you know what?  You never know what small thing you do at just the right time that is going to make a huge difference to someone's life.  I just purchased his new children's book "Trying" today.  I started crying in B & N just reading it.  And then I read it again sitting in my car in the parking lot and continued to blubber.  

If you have anyone in your life who needs a message delivered in a simple, elegant, charming loving way, check out his books.  Buy one for this person and give them the gift of empowerment. 

Thank you for your time.  This has been a public service announcement from your local PBS channel and from viewers like you.

I'm going to check these out for my grandkids!
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTcatNeesy

Honestly never thought about it, I just read, it doesn't bother me who wrote it. 🤔
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Too hot to read much new stuff but i have done some rereading. Two Christies, After The Funeral and Hickory Dickory Dock and i have started Tarzan of The Apes. Burroughs wrote 24 books about him!! Far too many but the first two are actually quite good adventure stories. Also started Nocturnal by Scott Sigler. I've read thrillers by him before and they can be good, sometimes there are a slight supernatural twist to them but not always. I think this one leans towards the supernatural though, we'll see.
    I have some tarzan hooks in a B & N classic to read. Need to do that.

I love the bn classics. They are so pretty lined up on my shelf. 
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Marsha said:
    I want to recommend an author so I'm going to post this in a couple of places.  And yes, this will be one of my rambling bullshit things, but I hope you'll stick with me.

I'm going to check these out for my grandkids!
    They are beautifully illustrated books with the best messages.  
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • ...that was beautiful Deej.....thank you.....very much.... <3
    FlakeNoirMarshaHedda Gablercat
  • Still 6 hours left of Gone Girl so a lot can happen but really hoping this psycho bitch doesn't get away with it. 
    GNTLGNTBevVincentFlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNotarocatNeesy
  • edited July 2021
    FlakeNoir said:
    It is him, I didn't realise he'd written books, I always find him entertaining in his show. What did you think of Home Stretch,  Bev?
    This is the third book from him I've read, and they've all been uniformly good. I read them to my wife and she is totally captivated by this one, begging me to read more and more each session. 
    I’m halfway through this.  I’m pleasantly— not surprised— but entertained that he’s a good writer. Simple language , good story so far.  Just laying it out without a lot of stuff and nonsense . 
    FlakeNoirMarshaNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • ....I did a little look-see on Norton.....until I saw your posts, I was unaware of him as anything other than a funny guy with good guests in YouTube videos....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Started The Silkroads - A New World History by Peter Frankopan. It is not written with the westcentric view so many histories have had. At least thats the impression i've got. Cause its true many older world histories used to center around western europe and its colonies and forget or at least heavily diminish the influence and importance of places like Babylon, Persia, Arabia, China and India and so on. Up to about 1500 western Europe was at the furthest end of the existing traderoutes that brought wealth and ideas across the world. And then Columbus established rich trade routes with America and Vasca Da Gama the same with India and suddenly western Europe was at the center of the flux of money and ideas between East and West. It was then that the process of rewriting history started so that we were left with the impression that everything started with the greeks that gave their ideas to the romans and on to the rest of western Europe. It is a complicated story. It will be interesting to see how he handles the many stories without getting lost in them and at the same time keeping to his theme.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTcat