Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• I read an amazing short story by a John jodzio called “The Narrows.”  It’s online and it’s good. I’m going to check out more if his stuff.  If his other short stories are as strong as this one, he needs to be talked about. 
    ...wowser!....not quite sure what to make of that....am I missing(no pun intended)an undercurrent?...or it is just as it appeared?...man hook and all....
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaspideymancat
  • edited July 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    I read an amazing short story by a John jodzio called “The Narrows.”  It’s online and it’s good. I’m going to check out more if his stuff.  If his other short stories are as strong as this one, he needs to be talked about. 
    ...wowser!....not quite sure what to make of that....am I missing(no pun intended)an undercurrent?...or it is just as it appeared?...man hook and all....
    I think it was exactly as it appeared.   Men jumping. They hooked them. Or not. The one guy was still alive and they let him go!

good writing though. Quirky. Weird. Funny. Good imagery.

his web site has other short stories. 

The one titled : I Hide Gold Doubloons in My Baby’s Thigh folds is creative. 

He thinks his  baby went and got a teardrop tattoo under its eye but realizes it’s just lint. But he glues it to his baby’s face so the other kids at daycare will know what’s what. 🤣

NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaspideymancat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    I read an amazing short story by a John jodzio called “The Narrows.”  It’s online and it’s good. I’m going to check out more if his stuff.  If his other short stories are as strong as this one, he needs to be talked about. 
    I think it was exactly as it appeared.   Men jumping. They hooked them. Or not. The one guy was still alive and they let him go!

He thinks his  baby went and got a teardrop tattoo under its eye but realizes it’s just lint. But he glues it to his baby’s face so the other kids at daycare will know what’s what. 🤣

...ok, so if I jump off a bridge and live, then I'm promised sexy time with a horny man hooker?....
    FlakeNoirMarshaNotarospideymancat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:

...ok, so if I jump off a bridge and live, then I'm promised sexy time with a horny man hooker?....
    It appears that way — with no strings attached.  You live to jump another day. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaNotarospideymancat
  • Reading Codename Shakespeare by a husband-wife duo where one is an actor with great experiences from Shakespeares plays and the other is a literary-historian with a special interest in Shakespeare and the elisabethan times. Their basic thesis is that the Stratfordman, in the sources referred to as William Shaxspere was not the great playwright. They make a rather good case. Their point to start from is the plays and the sources for the plays. Many of these were not yet translated in shakespeares days so he had to have been able to read Latin, italienan, french and spanish at the least. Also they think his great familiarity with courtritual in both domestic and foreign courts and their passtimes point to that it must have been a nobleman. Their choice is Edward de Vere, 17,th Earl of Oxford, that was at one time a favourite with Elisabeth but like all her favourites fell from grace after awhile. You can say i think their case for dismissing the Stratford man is a good one and likely true but that their case for pointing the finger at the earl of Oxford is weaker. Not that it is impossible but he is one of several possible noblemen that fit the picture. What is clear is that it was disgraceful for a lord to write theatreplays at this time so whoever it was needed a front, a pseudonym. Shakespeare was a wink at Pallas Athena who is portrayed with a spear and was the goddess that protected the theatre in all likelihood. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTNeesyspideymancat
  • Kurben, I love reading these write-ups you do on the books you're reading. Often they're about subjects that I normally wouldn't delve into, but you always make me want to after seeing your posts. Thank you! 
    MarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroKurbenNeesyspideymancat
  • ....he do make the dry seem exciting and new....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaKurbenNeesycat
  • Reading this one now in snippets - he has some weird run-on sentences in here that are jarring

Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaspideymancat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    20 Relatable Groceries Memes - Inspiring Pictures Quotes - SayingImagescom
    This will be me on the way home from work today. 😬
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenNeesyNotaroMarshaspideymancat
  • ....no ride sharing services....Uber...???
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenNotaroMarshaspideymancat
  • Taxi's and the like cost a bomb, I'm saving my pennies for the for the car job.
    The walk will do me good, 💚 I'm listening to a bunch of comedy radio plays so this will take my mind off the pain.😄
    Hedda GablerKurbenNeesyNotaroMarshaspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Flakers, Taurangan author  Lee Murray won two Stoker awards — a first. 
    NotaroMarshaspideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Flakers, Taurangan author  Lee Murray won two Stoker awards — a first. 
    Fantastic. Will look into her (?) him?
    NotaroMarshaspideymanKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • Read Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child. My first by him. I liked it. It had great pace. About a group of scientists that suddenly make a find of a very well preserved animal. A great find and then people start to die......
    MarshaFlakeNoirNotaroNeesyHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • Kurben said:
    Read Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child. My first by him. I liked it. It had great pace. About a group of scientists that suddenly make a find of a very well preserved animal. A great find and then people start to die......
    Never read any of his solo stuff but I enjoyed the two novels Relic and Reliquary that he co-wrote with Douglas Preston. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNeesycat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Taxi's and the like cost a bomb, I'm saving my pennies for the for the car job.
    The walk will do me good, 💚 I'm listening to a bunch of comedy radio plays so this will take my mind off the pain.😄
    Took a taxi in New Zealand - Imgur
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaKurbenNeesycat
  • Reading Horror Stories. An anthology of stories from mainly the 19,th century. The last story is written 1912. Among the authors are Hoffmann, Balzac, Poe, Melville, LeFanu, Dickens, Zola, Hawthorne, Stevenson, Kipling, Bierce, Blackwood, James, Doyle and Stoker. But also some authors that are either not so talked about today or more specialized authors. McGinn, Hogg, Benson and Hodgson can be counted here. Its not a world selection but the editor has chosen from English, American, Irish, French and german authors. These were the guys that made Horror a genre that many authors of today can live on. Many of the authors named we dont think of as horror authors, like Zola, Balzac, Kipling, Stevenson and Dickens, but they made wrote many short stories that are pure horror and its fun to read them.
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Found a compilation of 4 novellas by Algernon Blackwood in the used bookstore. Looked very interesting. I bought it to look into it after the short story collection i'm reading at the moment. Cheap too........
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Reading Horror Stories. An anthology of stories from mainly the 19,th century. The last story is written 1912. Among the authors are Hoffmann, Balzac, Poe, Melville, LeFanu, Dickens, Zola, Hawthorne, Stevenson, Kipling, Bierce, Blackwood, James, Doyle and Stoker. But also some authors that are either not so talked about today or more specialized authors. McGinn, Hogg, Benson and Hodgson can be counted here. Its not a world selection but the editor has chosen from English, American, Irish, French and german authors. These were the guys that made Horror a genre that many authors of today can live on. Many of the authors named we dont think of as horror authors, like Zola, Balzac, Kipling, Stevenson and Dickens, but they made wrote many short stories that are pure horror and its fun to read them.
    Cemetery dance put out a volume 1 and 2 of The Century’s Best Horror. They chose one author to represent that  year. And that author could only appear once in the whole works — volume 1 and 2.  They were absolutely terrific books and had many of the authors you mentioned. Many surprising ones like you said.
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Kurben said:
    Reading Horror Stories. An anthology of stories from mainly the 19,th century. The last story is written 1912. Among the authors are Hoffmann, Balzac, Poe, Melville, LeFanu, Dickens, Zola, Hawthorne, Stevenson, Kipling, Bierce, Blackwood, James, Doyle and Stoker. But also some authors that are either not so talked about today or more specialized authors. McGinn, Hogg, Benson and Hodgson can be counted here. Its not a world selection but the editor has chosen from English, American, Irish, French and german authors. These were the guys that made Horror a genre that many authors of today can live on. Many of the authors named we dont think of as horror authors, like Zola, Balzac, Kipling, Stevenson and Dickens, but they made wrote many short stories that are pure horror and its fun to read them.
    Cemetery dance put out a volume 1 and 2 of The Century’s Best Horror. They chose one author to represent that  year. And that author could only appear once in the whole works — volume 1 and 2.  They were absolutely terrific books and had many of the authors you mentioned. Many surprising ones like you said.
    Each year. A chose one author for each year. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Kurben said:
    Each year. A chose one author for each year. 
    WoW!! In my collection theres just 29 tales. Each author has one entry. Since they don't go by strict year, the last one is from 1912, they said in the introduction that they count the century as many historians does, it is known as the long century in some history books, starting with the french revolution and ending with WW1. Approximately 1789-1914 because of the cultural things that bind together many authors from this time.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshacatNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    It is him, I didn't realise he'd written books, I always find him entertaining in his show. What did you think of Home Stretch,  Bev?
    This is the third book from him I've read, and they've all been uniformly good. I read them to my wife and she is totally captivated by this one, begging me to read more and more each session. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    ...I agree, I've read a few of the "old timey" stories myself, and once you get a handle on some of the more archaic phrasing-they are enchanting....
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerMarshacat
  • Kurben said:
    Found a compilation of 4 novellas by Algernon Blackwood in the used bookstore. Looked very interesting. I bought it to look into it after the short story collection i'm reading at the moment. Cheap too........
    ....he is a Master.....
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerMarshacat