Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    I think chizmar is an excellent writer — not given the love he deserves. Like i’ve said, book two of Gwendy WITHOUT Stephen King was better than the first one.  Might just be me. 
    ....Rich is quite a top notch scribbler.....needs more love......

I agree. I've really liked everything I've read by him. Still need to read Gwendy's Magic Feather, but I plan to do that soon. If Chasing the Boogeyman is as good as everyone is saying, Rich will hopefully start getting some more recognition as a writer. Can't wait to read that one.
    ....yes sir my friend!....I am eagerly awaiting this one as well......you'll like Gwendy too....Chiz has a skill set that equals many of the "heavy hitters" but he has a voice that is unique and needs to turn into a yell....

I liked Button Box quite a bit. I'm giving that one a re-read before I start Magic Feather, just to refresh my memory.
    ....makes sense, but he drops enough "memory nuggets" in there, you don't necessarily have to....
    FlakeNoirGrant87Hedda Gablercat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    I think chizmar is an excellent writer — not given the love he deserves. Like i’ve said, book two of Gwendy WITHOUT Stephen King was better than the first one.  Might just be me. 
    ....Rich is quite a top notch scribbler.....needs more love......

I agree. I've really liked everything I've read by him. Still need to read Gwendy's Magic Feather, but I plan to do that soon. If Chasing the Boogeyman is as good as everyone is saying, Rich will hopefully start getting some more recognition as a writer. Can't wait to read that one.
    ....yes sir my friend!....I am eagerly awaiting this one as well......you'll like Gwendy too....Chiz has a skill set that equals many of the "heavy hitters" but he has a voice that is unique and needs to turn into a yell....

I liked Button Box quite a bit. I'm giving that one a re-read before I start Magic Feather, just to refresh my memory.
    ....makes sense, but he drops enough "memory nuggets" in there, you don't necessarily have to....

If it was a longer book, I probably wouldn't bother. But I can knock out Button Box in a couple sittings, so I figured why not.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • I started So Cold The River by Michael Koryta. I've heard a lot of good things about him so hopefully he'll live up to them!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Kurben said:
    I started So Cold The River by Michael Koryta. I've heard a lot of good things about him so hopefully he'll live up to them!
    ....you'll like him......

George Zimmer  I Guarantee It  Know Your Meme
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacat
  • Finished The Only Good Indian.  I have to say, this ended up being a really beautiful story. I was very choked up at the end. 

It took me about 150 pages deep before i started connecting to it though.  So yes, you have to hang in there for the payoff . 
    FlakeNoirNotaroGrant87GNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • edited March 2021
    Went to B & N today and got Later.  I also found a new one by Koryta, Never Far Away and I purchased Kazuo Ishiguro's new one, Klara and the Sun.  That's GMA's book for March I found out while waiting for Stephen's interview.  It grabbed me up by my "intrigue" bone.  Located to the right of my left condyle.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbencat
  • Finished Hearts Strange and Dreadful by Tim McGregor last night. Really good historical horror novel set in New England in the early 1800's.

Tonight, I'm starting some new book by this one guy I keep hearing about.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurbenMarshacat
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Hearts Strange and Dreadful by Tim McGregor last night. Really good historical horror novel set in New England in the early 1800's.

Tonight, I'm starting some new book by this one guy I keep hearing about.
    I'm going to start that one too.  Heard he's pretty famous.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87GNTLGNTKurbenMarshacat
  • Maybe I'll get it later.

*almost boomer giggle*

Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTKurbenMarshacat
  • Went to B & N today and got Later.  I also found a new one by Koryta, Never Far Away and I purchased Kazuo Ishiguro's new one, Klara and the Sun.  That's GMA's book for March I found out while waiting for Stephen's interview.  It grabbed me up by my "intrigue" bone.  Located to the right of my left condyle.
    ....you have the cutest condyle, not to mention epiglottis.....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNotaroMarshacatNeesy
  • Started Later.  Looks to be a night of reading! Page 19 was the pull me in page!!
    @Hedda Gabler---- Never Far Away    is so good.  
    @Kurben-- please tell me what you think about  So Cold The River.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • I'm 100 deep into Later.  I am trying not to rush so I am making myself put it down and walk away for a bit.  This would be an easy one to finish in a day.

I have to say, I haven't really connected to a King book in a long time.  That's not saying I haven't enjoyed them.  I certainly have, even the ones way down on my list of favs.  But this one is different. 

I personally think Stephen excels at short stories.  I believe that is where his very best work lives.  He has to write fast and tight to get that story told.  He doesn't have the luxury of 500 pages.  This story is reminding me of his short story writing.  He is keeping the "chapters" short.  And each magnificent chapter is a like a little mini short story.  So, he is moving me right along here.  I am locked and engaged.  

Like I said, I could have this done in a few hours, but I don't want to be done in a few hours.  I want to draw it out and cuddle with it a bit.  You know what I mean?
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGrant87GNTLGNTMarshaspideymancat
  • I'm 100 deep into Later.  I am trying not to rush so I am making myself put it down and walk away for a bit.  This would be an easy one to finish in a day.

I have to say, I haven't really connected to a King book in a long time.  That's not saying I haven't enjoyed them.  I certainly have, even the ones way down on my list of favs.  But this one is different. 

I personally think Stephen excels at short stories.  I believe that is where his very best work lives.  He has to write fast and tight to get that story told.  He doesn't have the luxury of 500 pages.  This story is reminding me of his short story writing.  He is keeping the "chapters" short.  And each magnificent chapter is a like a little mini short story.  So, he is moving me right along here.  I am locked and engaged.  

Like I said, I could have this done in a few hours, but I don't want to be done in a few hours.  I want to draw it out and cuddle with it a bit.  You know what I mean?
    Yes. 
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaHedda Gablerspideymancat

Agree about the short stories, Night Shift is one of my favourites books, each story grabs you and drags you in. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaHedda Gablerspideymancat
  • Started 'Later' !!    First couple of chapters and I am in. <3
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablerspideymancatNeesy
  • spideyman said:
    Started Later.  Looks to be a night of reading! Page 19 was the pull me in page!!
    @Hedda Gabler---- Never Far Away    is so good.  
    @Kurben-- please tell me what you think about  So Cold The River.
    I'm about 150 pages in. Have no idea where this is going or whats going to happen. But i'm definitely hooked. I must find out what it all means.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablerspideymancatNeesy
  • ....per usual, still waiting on my damn copy......grrrrr.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerKurbenspideymancat
  • 28 pages to go.  I’m stopping right there.  It’s killing me.  But i love the antici-  paaaation. 
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotarospideymanGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....per usual, still waiting on my damn copy......grrrrr.....
    So am i,big guy, so am i.....  I checked in today to see what was happening but it is not even sent yet............ In the order it said it was being handled.... which means absolutely nothing. I echo your Grrr
    FlakeNoirNotarospideymanGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • I hope kurben, scott, flakers and anyone else waiting get your copies soon.  I am really enjoying this one. So reminiscent of his short story  work— love that so much. 
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Finished Later.  One question asked, one answer given----wow!  SK does it again.
    GNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoircat
  • 28 pages to go.  I’m stopping right there.  It’s killing me.  But i love the antici-  paaaation. 

MarshaHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoircat
  • I hope kurben, scott, flakers and anyone else waiting get your copies soon.  I am really enjoying this one. So reminiscent of his short story  work— love that so much. 
    Finger Tapping GIFs  Tenor
    MarshaHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    28 pages to go.  I’m stopping right there.  It’s killing me.  But i love the antici-  paaaation. 

I was thinking more along the lines of rocky horror picture show.
    KurbenFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTMarsha
  • edited March 2021
    Drats
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTMarsha