Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Neesy said:
    Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Started Venus Envy by Rita Mae Brown. i like the humor in it, Even if the books underlying subject is serious, its about a woman who is informed she is dying of cancer decides not to die a stranger so she writes letters to friends a family telling them what she really thinks of them and things they do not know about her including that she is gay. But she is misdiagnosed. There is no cancer and she lives. The book is written in the early 90,s and i don't know but i could imagine that was not something that went well in the upper classes of Virginia at the time. What makes this work for me is not so much the story but the humoristic glint in the eye style of writing that makes you smile several times as she tries to handle the situation she has placed herself in. 
    ...Venus Envy is also the "nom de plume" of a drag queen..... :D

Shes got it  Drag goddess Venus Envy  DragAdventures
    Didn't know that! Has s/he taken the name after the book??The woman in the book is just tall, blond and beautiful which she sometimes feels is a hindrance because people think she is stupid which she isn't.

I looked it up Kurben - turns out this is a female drag queen

Yeah, i know but the book was written in 1993 or 94 and i doubt that she was around then so i wondered if the name she choose was a homage to the book or if it was a coincidence. Probably a coincidence. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablercatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Found The Book of Koli by M.R. Carey and thought it was worth checking out. His The Girl with all the gifts were great, One of the only two great Zombie-novels i've read. Put it in my TBR pile. Its more of a mountain than a pile by now......
    ....if you decide to go on a zombie stagger, let me know......I love the genre and can make some suggestions.....ummmmmmm, tasty!........ :D
    I'm always interested in good Zombie novels suggestions! My top two are World War Z by Max Brooks and The Girl With all the Gifts by M.R. Carey. Then i hold Jonathan Maberrys various efforts in the genre high, Like Patient Zero, Rot & Ruin and Dead Of Night. Handling The Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist is another good one. A bit further down but still good are Feed by Mira Grant and Pride and prejudice and zombies by Seth Graham-Smith. (if you dont mind the both parody of and the use of Austens title to sell copies). Then of course I am Legend by Matheson, Cell by King and The Passage by Justin Cronin. I'm sure i forgot some i read..... I remember one book where there is a company arranging hunting tours on zombies in an area but something goes very wrong and the hunters become the hunted. Forgot who wrote it though.....
    ....I'll start with three I liked....my forte is anthologies.....

21ST CENTURY DEAD Christopher Golden John M McIlveen Rio Youers  9780312605841 Amazoncom BooksZombie Anthology Now Available  Carlton Mellick IIINew Dead Golden Christopher 9780312559717 Amazoncom Books

FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablercatNotaro
  • I'm love-hearting the hell out of all of these scary things, but you just know I'd be watching from behind a pillow-fort. 😳
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablercatNotaroNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I'm love-hearting the hell out of all of these scary things, but you just know I'd be watching from behind a pillow-fort. 😳
    I Can Has Cheezburger - pillow fort - Funny Animals Online - Cheezburger
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablercatNotaroNeesy
  • About 3/4 of the way thru HP 3, am enjoying this reread I think, even more than the first time. 🙂 Just magical. 

Kindle Daily deals had several good choices the last few days. Added Alix E. Harrow's Once and Future Witches and a couple nonfiction to my tbr...one about a Russian spy (for Britain) during the Cold War called The Spy and the Traitor by Ben MacIntyre and one called High Achiever by Tiffany Jenkins about opioid addiction. I'm not much for nonfiction but trying to broaden my horizons some. Learn something. I started the High Achiever one earlier today. I have a nephew struggling with addiction and has been for several years, I don't know if this will help me understand better or not. I am pretty angry with him for what he has put my sister through and the hurt and isolation between family members he has caused. I am trying to understand. I know it sounds callous of me to say I am angry at him but I am trying to understand better. I don't know if this particular book will help, I don't want to excuse or enable any of my nephew's behavior and that is where I am having trouble. Understanding. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • cat said:
    About 3/4 of the way thru HP 3, am enjoying this reread I think, even more than the first time. 🙂 Just magical. 

Kindle Daily deals had several good choices the last few days. Added Alix E. Harrow's Once and Future Witches and a couple nonfiction to my tbr...one about a Russian spy (for Britain) during the Cold War called The Spy and the Traitor by Ben MacIntyre and one called High Achiever by Tiffany Jenkins about opioid addiction. I'm not much for nonfiction but trying to broaden my horizons some. Learn something. I started the High Achiever one earlier today. I have a nephew struggling with addiction and has been for several years, I don't know if this will help me understand better or not. I am pretty angry with him for what he has put my sister through and the hurt and isolation between family members he has caused. I am trying to understand. I know it sounds callous of me to say I am angry at him but I am trying to understand better. I don't know if this particular book will help, I don't want to excuse or enable any of my nephew's behavior and that is where I am having trouble. Understanding. 
    I think addiction is painful all the way around. I believe the addicted and their loved ones probably suffer equally. I'm sorry your family are going through it, Cat... and I hope sufficient strength will be found within your nephew to be able to overcome.
    Anger is totally understandable and acceptable. Continued love and a great degree of forgiveness will help too. 💜
    catKurbenNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    cat said:
    About 3/4 of the way thru HP 3, am enjoying this reread I think, even more than the first time. 🙂 Just magical. 

I think addiction is painful all the way around. I believe the addicted and their loved ones probably suffer equally. I'm sorry your family are going through it, Cat... and I hope sufficient strength will be found within your nephew to be able to overcome.
    Anger is totally understandable and acceptable. Continued love and a great degree of forgiveness will help too. 💜
    Thank you, Flake. That is part of my anger, he just does not seem to have the will or strength to overcome. He just went back to rehab for like the 5th time. My sister cannot keep paying for it. He has a baby coming which is what triggered this last...well, I don't even know if he relapsed or just thought he might...no one talks about it. There are serious rifts in the family and that breaks my heart. My sister doesn't talk to anyone and then blames everyone for not caring and it just goes round and round. Probably am oversharing but it IS hard and hurtful. I wish he would just SEE what harm he is doing. It is heartbreaking all the way round. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • cat said:

I totally understand Cat! I had an elder cousin, only child to my mothers older sister, who had an addiction. Heroin in her case. She tried and tried and always failed, in periods my mother let her sleep in our place so she wouldn't sleep on the streets and be close to drugs but nothing helped. In the end she died of an overdose when i was a teen. I hope your nephew wins the fight against his addiction. It is never an easy fight but it can be won.
    FlakeNoirNotarocatHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • cat said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    cat said:

Thank you, Flake. That is part of my anger, he just does not seem to have the will or strength to overcome. He just went back to rehab for like the 5th time. My sister cannot keep paying for it. He has a baby coming which is what triggered this last...well, I don't even know if he relapsed or just thought he might...no one talks about it. There are serious rifts in the family and that breaks my heart. My sister doesn't talk to anyone and then blames everyone for not caring and it just goes round and round. Probably am oversharing but it IS hard and hurtful. I wish he would just SEE what harm he is doing. It is heartbreaking all the way round. 
    I'm so sorry girl, and don't apologise for sharing, it's really important to be able to vent, it's just heartbreaking and frustrating. Sadly the only person able to save your nephew, is your nephew and I do hope he will be strong enough to make the changes that will get him through. It's very sad that a baby is coming in to this, but it's quite possible this will be the lasting motivation that eventually heals him.
    My thoughts are with you guys. Talk to us whenever you have a need, Cat. xox 
    NotarocatHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    cat said:

I totally understand Cat! I had an elder cousin, only child to my mothers older sister, who had an addiction. Heroin in her case. She tried and tried and always failed, in periods my mother let her sleep in our place so she wouldn't sleep on the streets and be close to drugs but nothing helped. In the end she died of an overdose when i was a teen. I hope your nephew wins the fight against his addiction. It is never an easy fight but it can be won.
    This is very sad (((Kurben.))) 🥺 I'm so sorry your family went through this. 
    NotaroKurbencatHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I've got hold of a new, well 2016, book on prehistoric mammals. I know the basic story of the evolution of mammals but those books were written in the 80,s and 90,s and so many new discoveries has been made that i feel a need to update my knowledge. The mammals story, including the enigmatic protomammals may not be as sexy as the dinosaurs but it is just as fascinating. The author, Donald Prothero, has done a good job of tackling the whole bunch that have lived and died since the first mammallike creatures came into being about 300 million years ago until now. It is called, a bit obvious, Prehistoric Mammals. Very good drawings on how they looked too. As long as you aware that we cant know much about the colorscheme of fossils. If we found a fossil zebra we wouldn't have a clue that it is black and white striped. But as long as we have that in mind the drawings help imagining the animal and how it moved.
    FlakeNoircatHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    cat said:

Thank you, Kurben. I am sorry your cousin lost her battle. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    cat said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    cat said:

I'm so sorry girl, and don't apologise for sharing, it's really important to be able to vent, it's just heartbreaking and frustrating. Sadly the only person able to save your nephew, is your nephew and I do hope he will be strong enough to make the changes that will get him through. It's very sad that a baby is coming in to this, but it's quite possible this will be the lasting motivation that eventually heals him.
    My thoughts are with you guys. Talk to us whenever you have a need, Cat. xox 
    Thank you Flake. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Cat and kurben— so sorry.
    catKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • .....as I said many times on the SKMB, we are a family.....granted this family is much more intimate, but the sentiment is the same....we are here for each other in low times and high....all that has been said is true and heartfelt.....my daughter is a survivor of addiction, the rehab carousel and nearly died more than once-but she prevailed by force of will.....it is possible if the addict truly wants it, and I pray that he gets his head out of his ass and finds peace Cat.....Kurb, I share your grief and loss.....

FlakeNoircatKurbenNotaroNeesy
  • cat said:

Let me know how Once and Future Witches is. 
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirKurbenNeesycat
  • Howard Stern Comes Again

i have a love hate thing with howard.  When he wastes my time with porno talk, it’s disappointing and vulgar and boring.  

But he shines when he does a straight interview. He is really good when he can elevate the conversation. He is smart and talented and i like the older, serious, smart Howard.  I could see him doing a late night show like tom snyder had.  As a kid, i loved that show. Fascinating conversations. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Picking up on Dissolution again. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited January 2021
    Dang! Double posted!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Howard Stern Comes Again

i have a love hate thing with howard.  When he wastes my time with porno talk, it’s disappointing and vulgar and boring.  

But he shines when he does a straight interview. He is really good when he can elevate the conversation. He is smart and talented and i like the older, serious, smart Howard.  I could see him doing a late night show like tom snyder had.  As a kid, i loved that show. Fascinating conversations. 
    ....he's an ass, but you're right.....he could do a quality interview show and just toss the smut shades for a while.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbencatNeesy
  • I finished my book on prehistoric Mammals. Very interesting. I was especially fond of two mammal families that didn't make it to our present time, the Nimravids or "False Cats" that were very catlike in appearance but not closely related at all to the "True Cats" of today. Also the "Bear Dogs" which was a big family of animals that existed for over 40 million years and in appearance looked a bit like a mix of a bear and a dog but was its own distinct family.

I got inspired so i started Earth before the Dinosaurs which is mainly about about the time 370-200 million years ago when four-legged creatures developed (so called Tetrapoda) and diversified in many ways. All amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals are Tetrapoda. It stops at 200 MYA because that the time when Dinosaurs take over and a lot of books has been written about them and their time.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    I finished my book on prehistoric Mammals. Very interesting. I was especially fond of two mammal families that didn't make it to our present time, the Nimravids or "False Cats" that were very catlike in appearance but not closely related at all to the "True Cats" of today. Also the "Bear Dogs" which was a big family of animals that existed for over 40 million years and in appearance looked a bit like a mix of a bear and a dog but was its own distinct family.

I got inspired so i started Earth before the Dinosaurs which is mainly about about the time 370-200 million years ago when four-legged creatures developed (so called Tetrapoda) and diversified in many ways. All amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals are Tetrapoda. It stops at 200 MYA because that the time when Dinosaurs take over and a lot of books has been written about them and their time.
    ....cool!.....

Facts About the Bear Dog  Live Science

Tribute to Nimravids false sabre tooths and Barbourofelids - YouTube
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbencatNeesy
  • I finished The Living Dead by Romero and Kraus. I liked it, didn't love it. It really slowed down in the last 1/3 of the book.

Then read Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare. Technically, it's a Young Adult novel, but make no mistake, it pulls no punches. It's a fun slasher novel.

After that, I read two novellas: Crossroads by Laurel Hightower and Benny Rose, The Cannibal King by Hailey Piper. Enjoyed both, but Crossroads was next level. Highly recommend that one.

Now I'm on to Heart-Shaped Box. Love the way Joe writes. I'm planning to catch up on the rest of his stuff in 2021.
    FlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • Grant87 said:
    I finished The Living Dead by Romero and Kraus. I liked it, didn't love it. It really slowed down in the last 1/3 of the book.

Then read Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare. Technically, it's a Young Adult novel, but make no mistake, it pulls no punches. It's a fun slasher novel.

After that, I read two novellas: Crossroads by Laurel Hightower and Benny Rose, The Cannibal King by Hailey Piper. Enjoyed both, but Crossroads was next level. Highly recommend that one.

Now I'm on to Heart-Shaped Box. Love the way Joe writes. I'm planning to catch up on the rest of his stuff in 2021.
    Putting crossroads on my lust! Thanks grant.
    not_nadineFlakeNoirGrant87KurbenGNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • Grant87 said:
    I finished The Living Dead by Romero and Kraus. I liked it, didn't love it. It really slowed down in the last 1/3 of the book.

Putting crossroads on my lust! Thanks grant.
    On your LUST?? Hold your horses, lady.....
    I'm starting Congo by Michael Crichton. Havent read that one yet and usually think Crichton is quite OK.
    NeesyGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNotaro