Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• FlakeNoir said:
    Started Stephen's The Outsider last night. Very tough beginning.  
    ....it was sad and sickening....perfect launch for what's to come.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroKurbenNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh Gawd... 
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh Gawd... 
    You're gonna love it, Flake!!
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh Gawd... 
    GIFS7 Darby OGill and the Little People - Shocked Face GIF
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh Gawd... 
    You're gonna love it, Flake!!
    It was given to me by a friend, so I already do love it. 😊
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy
  • Finished Heartstone by C.J. Sansom. This Shardlake series do not disappoint. Now i have just one more in the series to read before i am caught up so to speak. I'll probably start Lamentation tomorrow, the last one i havent read. What i shall read after that i do not know as i have been used to having a real good historical mystery/novel waiting for me for a time now. Now i have to wait for him to write a new one.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Started Lamentation. Henry VIII is slowly dying in the summer of 1546 and the different factions of his advisors are preparing for a quarrel over who will rule over the 8-year old prince until his majority. In the midst of all that political intrigue Shardlake is asked to investigate a murder that may have political connections. Much against his will but he feels he cant say no when the queen ask him personally. Only he cant say that he acts on the queens orders because of state secrets. Good start. But i felt like a break and started a book by the queen of crime, Dame Agatha Christie. Noone has ever written better cozy mysteries than her. They might not be realistic, and never really meant to be, but their plots are great. Reading The Death On The Nile which is a little masterpiece of detective fiction.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • @Kurben — i am on page 303 of Dissolution. It’s filled with suspects, but my guess isn’t a monk!!!  I can’t wait for the big reveal. 
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • @Kurben — i am on page 303 of Dissolution. It’s filled with suspects, but my guess isn’t a monk!!!  I can’t wait for the big reveal. 
    If you liked this one you are gonna love the next, Dark Fire. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • edited December 2020
    Kurben said:
    @Kurben — i am on page 303 of Dissolution. It’s filled with suspects, but my guess isn’t a monk!!!  I can’t wait for the big reveal. 
    Page 342 — my guess might just be right!  I’m closing in on the answer.

kurben, i have dark fire requested at my library but I’m wondering, if along my reading path  i can’t get a certain book in a timely manner, can i read them out of order or do you recommend I wait until i can get the next book in the series?

also, you’re my go to scholar — how accurate are the books when it comes to the settings, People, buildings, clothing, atmosphere, jobs, attitudes of the times? Etc..  i realize this is a work of fiction and an author can create what he/she wants, but was there any aspect that stood out to you as false for the times?
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    @Kurben — i am on page 303 of Dissolution. It’s filled with suspects, but my guess isn’t a monk!!!  I can’t wait for the big reveal. 

kurben, i have dark fire requested at my library but I’m wondering, if along my reading path  i can’t get a certain book in a timely manner, can i read them out of order or do you recommend I wait until i can get the next book in the series?

also, you’re my go to scholar — how accurate are the books when it comes to the settings, People, buildings, clothing, atmosphere, jobs, attitudes of the times? 
    To answer the second question first. They are very accurate when it comes to settings, buildings, attitudes and the rest. Shardlake is actually a softie for the times, People loved things like watching dogs, bears or cocks fight to the death while betting on the winner. Shardlake doesn't. One reason i really like them is because he has managed to be very accurate and deliver a mystery at the same time. The attitude is often correct even if he has, in this case, invented this particular convent but the attitude of monks and people around the convent were common at this time. The dissolution of the convents is a fact and the king, through Cromwell, often used people in Shardlakes position to do the actual work. All that is well documented. The first question is a bit trickier. It wont harm the mystery you're reading but since Shardlake is an evolving character you might find him or a friend giving passing references to past cases but they dont spoil the plot. But of course things happen to characters through the years, both Shardlake and his friends and assistents and if you read number 5 before number two you might notice the changes and wonder what has happened but it wont spoil the book for you. But, if possibly, i would read them in order. I myself read number 7, Tombland, first and then started from the beginning. But if not possible i probably would go ahead. The first book takes place in 1637 and the 7,th in 1549. He is always very careful with linking his mystery to an historic event that really happened. That goes for all the books.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:

also, you’re my go to scholar — how accurate are the books when it comes to the settings, People, buildings, clothing, atmosphere, jobs, attitudes of the times? 
    To answer the second question first. They are very accurate when it comes to settings, buildings, attitudes and the rest. Shardlake is actually a softie for the times, People loved things like watching dogs, bears or cocks fight to the death while betting on the winner. Shardlake doesn't. One reason i really like them is because he has managed to be very accurate and deliver a mystery at the same time. The attitude is often correct even if he has, in this case, invented this particular convent but the attitude of monks and people around the convent were common at this time. The dissolution of the convents is a fact and the king, through Cromwell, often used people in Shardlakes position to do the actual work. All that is well documented. The first question is a bit trickier. It wont harm the mystery you're reading but since Shardlake is an evolving character you might find him or a friend giving passing references to past cases but they dont spoil the plot. But of course things happen to characters through the years, both Shardlake and his friends and assistents and if you read number 5 before number two you might notice the changes and wonder what has happened but it wont spoil the book for you. But, if possibly, i would read them in order. I myself read number 7, Tombland, first and then started from the beginning. But if not possible i probably would go ahead. The first book takes place in 1637 and the 7,th in 1549. He is always very careful with linking his mystery to an historic event that really happened. That goes for all the books.
    I know  you meant 1537 and not 1637, 😜.

i was right!

I knew it was alice who killed the commissioner.  When Matthew made a comment very early about how strong her hands were and how he championed capable women, i knew she did it.  But, my reason was different. I thought it had something to do with a possible rape .

I couldn’t figure out why she would kill the other two, so i did buy into the two killer scenario, but i didn’t know who.

i was very shocked mark sided with alice, even knowing his true feelings about reform.  The fact she murdered someone — even if he felt he deserved it — i didn’t think he would want a person who took human life so coldly and brutally.  Good story, thanks for the recommend. Hopefully dark fire comes in soon for pick up.

i will read them in order for sure.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy
  • Finished Death on the Nile. Started Appointment With Death, also by Christie. The lady murdered is so horribly odious that i really felt she deserved it. But you know Poirots motto: Murder is a crime i cannot excuse. It must always be punished. Actually in one case Poirot solves the crime but let the murderer get away just because the victim is such a bad boy. But that is the only exception i know of. 
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Death on the Nile. Started Appointment With Death, also by Christie. The lady murdered is so horribly odious that i really felt she deserved it. But you know Poirots motto: Murder is a crime i cannot excuse. It must always be punished. Actually in one case Poirot solves the crime but let the murderer get away just because the victim is such a bad boy. But that is the only exception i know of. 
    Would that be Murder on the Orient Express or is there another?

FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Death on the Nile. Started Appointment With Death, also by Christie. The lady murdered is so horribly odious that i really felt she deserved it. But you know Poirots motto: Murder is a crime i cannot excuse. It must always be punished. Actually in one case Poirot solves the crime but let the murderer get away just because the victim is such a bad boy. But that is the only exception i know of. 
    Would that be Murder on the Orient Express or is there another?

You got it!! I remember reacting to it the first time i read it because of it. But i understand Poirots reason for making the exception.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Okay Kurben, I got Dark Fire from the library yesterday.  I just read the basic opening of the story, about 20 pages and I'm already wondering, why won't she talk???? bwhahaha!  And this is a pretty hefty book, 501 pages.  I'm quite excited to see what all is in 501 pages!!!!
    NeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I think you'll like it. Myself i'm reading a lot of history about the roman empire at the moment in preparation for an article. To freshen up the mind before i start writing.
    Hedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I got an early Christmas present - SK's If It Bleeds. I just finished Mr. Harrigan's Phone - loved it. Wish it could have lasted a little longer. And then BAM! Right into The Life of Chuck  - and it has been so dismal.  And so totally relatable to where my thoughts are about the world right now, I had to set it aside.  Clearly I'm not alone in my thoughts about the state of the world.  I think I'll wait until after Christmas to pick it back up.  It's very good though. Just not where my head needs to be whilst trying to "make Merry".  
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablernot_nadineNeesy
  • ...enjoying Bev's chapbook "21st Century King"........
    FlakeNoirNeesy
  • I have looked through the relevant parts of Suetonius and Tacitus and also Gibbons Decline and fall of the Roman Empire. Now going through more recent historians like Goldsworthy and Mary Beard.
    Been reading 1632 by Eric Flint for relaxation. Thats the first part of a looong series in the alternate history genre. Too long for its own good but the first book is really good.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • ...finished Bev's chapbook(which has some good summations in it), and have moved on to Masthead....the crime thriller which Bev has promoted and contains Lobster Trap....have just finished the first story, and have one quibble.....a certain drug is featured, and featured incorrectly.....epinephrine is the first administered-then the one I mention....I know, shaddap and enjoy the read, but it just cranked the nurse in me.....
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • Finished Thin Air by michelle Paver. A ghost story in the himalayas. She is not as good a writer as Dan Simmons but i prefer her lengthwise. This story is 220 pages and is very focused on the story while Simmons Himalaya story(The Abominable) is much longer and more detailed (i almost felt like i could climb everest after i read it). While Simmons sometimes tends to be to detailed Paver could do with a bit more. Its a difficult balance to get exactly right. But it was an easy and atmospheric read.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • ...I do recommend Masthead......VERY enjoyable......nice genre change for me, which is why I purchased it....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • Started the Clerkenwell tales. A historic novel set in the time of Richard II (last quarter of the 14, century). Also started First World War by Martin Gilbert. I've read good military histories of WW1 and good political and good descriptions of the life in the trenches and the sufferings of not only the soldiers but also the civil population in many countries. But not in one book. Here Gilbert is trying to tie all aspects of the war together in one book. Its a very difficult task but it has started well enough. Its 600 pages long but if he manages his goal with the book it is a big accomplishment. 
  • I decided to put aside The Clerkenwell Tales for the moment. Not because they are bad, not at all, but i suddenly felt the craving for a mystery, not a historic novel. I started The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. It is a Sherlock Holmes story and so far he is really close to the feel of the original. I've read Horowitz before, his novel The Magpie Murders (with his own detective) that was quite good. You can feel in his way to write that he really loves Holmes and Doyle. I found this, The House Of Silk, in my second hand Book store and bought it for 1 US dollar. Thats a bargain!!!
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy