Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Started Dissolution by C.J. Sansom. Excellent. It is the first in the Matthew Shardlake series. It is, at the same time, both a superb historical novel and a great mystery novel. Its main setting is a monastery and its difficult not to compare it with the Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco. Only this is better. Unlike Eco, that sometimes is a bit to fond of flaunting his knowledge in his writings, Sansom keeps on track. And still the murder serves more as a natural beginning and end to the story. He makes the Tudor england of Henry VIII come to life. You live in it, walk in it and smell it. He is also a better narrator than Eco or Hilary Mantel who keeps the story smoothly running forwards so that you feel a reluctance to put the book away. I've read the 7,th in the series earlier and know i intend to read them all.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesyspideyman
  • Kurben said:
    Started Dissolution by C.J. Sansom. Excellent. It is the first in the Matthew Shardlake series. It is, at the same time, both a superb historical novel and a great mystery novel. Its main setting is a monastery and its difficult not to compare it with the Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco. Only this is better. Unlike Eco, that sometimes is a bit to fond of flaunting his knowledge in his writings, Sansom keeps on track. And still the murder serves more as a natural beginning and end to the story. He makes the Tudor england of Henry VIII come to life. You live in it, walk in it and smell it. He is also a better narrator than Eco or Hilary Mantel who keeps the story smoothly running forwards so that you feel a reluctance to put the book away. I've read the 7,th in the series earlier and know i intend to read them all.
    I love all things Henry the VIII.  Currently, I am watching The Spanish Princess and while playing fast and loose with history because it's a TV show afterall, it's still so interesting and makes one seek out more information on the King and his court.  
    FlakeNoirKurbencatGNTLGNTNotaroNeesyspideyman
  • Finished Dissolution. Real good one. Intending to on with number 2 in the series. Dark Fire is its name and it is set in 1540, a few years after Dissolution.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotarocatNeesyspideyman
  • Just finished Where the Crawdads Sing.  

Such a great story.  Spidey, thank PITH for the recommend.  I have The Book Woman.... on order from the library.  But there's a waiting list.

So, I am going to restart The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.  Started this so long ago.  Slowly I'm making my way through my pile, even with my lack of focus on things I do for myself.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcatspideymanNeesy
  • Finished Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom. Great blend of historical novel and a mystery. It manages to be both unlike for example Ellis Peters good medieval mysteries that is much more mystery than a historical novel. Reminds me of both Hilary Mantels Wolf Hall novels and Robert McCammons Matthew Corbett novels. Stumbled over number 7 in the series, Tombland, by accident and are now catching up. I will start Sovereign that is number 3 shortly. Have ordered number 4,5 and 6 in the series. It is such a treat to stumble over something that turns up to be so unexpectedly good. This shows that it actually pays to take a chance now and again!!
    GNTLGNTnot_nadineFlakeNoircatNeesyspideyman
  • edited November 2020
    Kurben said:
    Finished Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom. Great blend of historical novel and a mystery. It manages to be both unlike for example Ellis Peters good medieval mysteries that is much more mystery than a historical novel. Reminds me of both Hilary Mantels Wolf Hall novels and Robert McCammons Matthew Corbett novels. Stumbled over number 7 in the series, Tombland, by accident and are now catching up. I will start Sovereign that is number 3 shortly. Have ordered number 4,5 and 6 in the series. It is such a treat to stumble over something that turns up to be so unexpectedly good. This shows that it actually pays to take a chance now and again!!
    I have Dissolution on hold at the library.  These sound good.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • Taking a break from Sansoms historical mysteries. Decided to start Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, a a thriller. Hes usually dependable i think. Just felt i needed something different for awhile.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • Finished Dark matter. A kind of thriller in the multiverse. Goes at gasp for breath speed. If you enjoyed Crouchs Wayward Pines trilogy you'll probably enjoy this. 
    Now i'm going back to the 16,th century and C.J. Sansom. To walk the streets, smell the smells and live in the 1541 of York while murder and political intrigue awirls around me. I'm reading Sovereign.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesycatspideyman
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Dark matter. A kind of thriller in the multiverse. Goes at gasp for breath speed. If you enjoyed Crouchs Wayward Pines trilogy you'll probably enjoy this. 
    Now i'm going back to the 16,th century and C.J. Sansom. To walk the streets, smell the smells and live in the 1541 of York while murder and political intrigue awirls around me. I'm reading Sovereign.
    ...watch out for those Tudor hotties you dog!......

Margaret Tudor - Wikipedia
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesycatspideyman
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Finished Dark matter. A kind of thriller in the multiverse. Goes at gasp for breath speed. If you enjoyed Crouchs Wayward Pines trilogy you'll probably enjoy this. 
    ...watch out for those Tudor hotties you dog!......

Margaret Tudor - Wikipedia
    I promise not to lose my head.....
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesycatspideyman
  • Finished Sovereign. real good. Now i need a break from Tudor England (and also my order of the next three in the series, Revelation, Heartburn and Lamentation, has not arrived yet) so i think i will start The Second Sleep by Robert Harris. He usually alternates between historical novels and thrillers but this seems to be a slight digression for him. It takes part in the future, a rather dreary future not so far off. But i'm looking forward to it.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesycatspideyman
  • 80 Funny Book Titles ideas  books book title book humor...shows promise..... :D
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroKurbenNeesycatspideyman
  • Reading this one on my iPad - downloaded it from the local library since we cannot get any actual hard copy books at the moment

Clean by James Hamblin 9780525538318  PenguinRandomHousecom Books

Well - looks like I had a draft in here I forgot about and I'm just seeing it now.

The above book was great.

Since this one I downloaded an ebook by Margaret Atwood called "The Heart Goes Last"

and it's a very good book

Margaret just turned 81 on November 18th

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotarocatspideyman
  • ....another title I'll be shopping for....
    50 Outrageously Funny Book Titles
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyNotarocatspideyman
  • I might try to download "The Man Who Invented Christmas" by Les Standiford - hoping it's available from the local library as an ebook

NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • I just finished Revelation by C.J. Sansom. Over 600 pages long but a real pageturner. Kept me up way past my bedtime. I have two of his captivating historical mysteries still to read but feel i need a change of pace. I think i will start Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay next. Always liked his thrillers.
    catHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymanNeesy
  • Finished Elevator Pitch. I plan on never riding an elevator again....  Problem is i live on the 8,th floor of a building. I'm doomed.......
    But i liked the book.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanNeesycat
  • Just finished Josh Malerman's sequel to The Birdbox, called Malorie. It's a strong followup which manages the neat trick of expanding the story universe while drilling deeper into the protagonist's psyche. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanNeesycat
  • Just finished Josh Malerman's sequel to The Birdbox, called Malorie. It's a strong followup which manages the neat trick of expanding the story universe while drilling deeper into the protagonist's psyche. 
    I'm still stuck with Malerman's Unbury Carol.  Not stuck because it's bad or uninteresting, just my reading attention span to blame.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymancat
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Elevator Pitch. I plan on never riding an elevator again....  Problem is i live on the 8,th floor of a building. I'm doomed.......
    But i liked the book.
    Nobleworks Old Fart in Elevator Funny  Humorous Stan Eales Birthday Card -  Walmartcom - Walmartcom
    NotaroHedda GablerKurbenspideymanNeesycat
  • Finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. Set in his usual break neck speed. But ultimately i think it was a bit too fast for its own good. Somethings that happened you did not quite grasp why they happened. Explanations slows the pace, agreed but sometimes they are necessary. Good read though.
    FlakeNoirNotarospideymanGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesycat
  • Started The Deep by Alma Katsu. I really liked her The Hunger. So far, i'm just 50 pages in, it does not have the same presence but it might pick up once the ship leaves the dock.
    spideymanFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesycat
  • ...my current.....
    What Fears Become An Anthology from The Horror Zine Little Bentley  Anthony Piers Nicholson Scott Tardif Cheryl Kaye Masterton Graham  Campbell Ramsey Lansdale Joe R Massie Elizabeth Malfi Ronald  Rector Jeani 9781926997209

FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyNotarocatspideyman