Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• I enjoyed her book THE WITCH ELM.
    NeesyGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideyman
  • That's one of them! Recommended by Kurben - I'm looking forward to getting it

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideyman
  • Neesy said:
    I ordered three books from the local library but I won't hold my breath until they come in. Lately things have slowed down a lot.

They are all by an author named Tana French and all in large type

She writes mysteries; Here is a quote from an interview with her:

The roots of this fascination, she says, may lie in the fact that she read Stephen King’s It in her early teens (“Too young,” she says with a laugh.) It wasn’t the evil clown that traumatised her. It was the fact that the characters who had confronted it as children had no memory of the horror when they grew up.

“They know something is there,” she says. “But whatever this memory is, it keeps being eroded out of their minds by an external force. That really freaked me out, the idea that your mind is not inviolable, it’s this vulnerable place that can be changed and transformed and can’t be trusted.

That’s what stuck with me. That shows up in my books.” She laughs. “It’s all Stephen King’s fault.”

But the tears on her cheeks are from laughter Stephen King - A Bag of Bones
    not_nadineFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyspideyman
  • The ten thousand doors.... is reminding me so much of The Talisman! The author is definitely doing her job— she is making me so anxious. I have to stop reading and step away. I wish i could quit doing that but it seems the older i get, the worse i get.
    NeesyFlakeNoirnot_nadineGNTLGNTcatspideymanSusanNorton
  • I've just started Sleeping Beauties, it's a first time read for me. I'm enjoying it very much so far. 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatspideymanSusanNorton
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I've just started Sleeping Beauties, it's a first time read for me. I'm enjoying it very much so far. 
    ...bit of a slog in parts, but not a bad big book....
    FlakeNoircatspideyman
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    I've just started Sleeping Beauties, it's a first time read for me. I'm enjoying it very much so far. 
    ...bit of a slog in parts, but not a bad big book....
    It's huge! If I fall asleep on my back reading this thing, I'll sustain a head injury. 😄 
    catspideymanNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Nessy - I've read several Tana French books - they are great!

Picked up a couple of audiobooks - Elevation by Sai King and Robicheaux by James Lee Burke.

Love Elevation and always enjoy hearing King read his own stories.

Decided to give Burke a shot as King spoke highly of him in the Murder by The Book interview he did with him last week - 

Burke sure writes with strong imagery and Will Patton does an excellent read of it.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNeesyspideyman
  • edited September 2020
    Nessy - I've read several Tana French books - they are great!

Picked up a couple of audiobooks - Elevation by Sai King and Robicheaux by James Lee Burke.

Decided to give Burke a shot as King spoke highly of him in the Murder by The Book interview he did with him last week - 

Burke sure writes with strong imagery and Will Patton does an excellent read of it.
     Did you get Meg's Into the Black Nowhere yet? I've just recently finished this one, it was good. 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • edited September 2020
    FlakeNoir said:

Did you get Meg's Into the Black Nowhere yet? I've just recently finished this one, it was good. 
    He has an onyx review of into the black.  I haven’t read the book so avoiding review in case it contains spoilers. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • FlakeNoir said:

He has an onyx review of into the black.  I haven’t read the book so avoiding review in case it contains spoilers. 
    Has Lou done a review of this one? I thought Lou was waiting on it from the library? I must have read that wrong. (doh)
    NotaroGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:

Has Lou done a review of this one? I thought Lou was waiting on it from the library? I must have read that wrong. (doh)
    Nope, i read that wrong.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatspideyman
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance Various Chizmar Richard 9780451458049  Amazoncom Books....completed the Alex Trebek memoir which was inspiring and now back to more usual ground....
    spideymanHedda GablerFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • Going to go pick up a Tana French book today - The Trespasser, plus another lighter story by Jennifer Weiner called Mrs. Everything

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerspideymancat
  • ...just re-read "Chattery Teeth" by Steve....I had forgotten how damn good that story was!.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatspideymanNeesy
  • I finished Deliverance. It was ok. I did not have a problem with the writer's style. I was really bored the first half. Then once things started happening, it was better. 

Now I am back to The Unwilling, which I am enjoying very much. 
    Hedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • I am re-reading 'Talisman'

:) 
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesySusanNorton
  • cat said:
    I finished Deliverance. It was ok. I did not have a problem with the writer's style. I was really bored the first half. Then once things started happening, it was better. 

Now I am back to The Unwilling, which I am enjoying very much. 
    ....it back-paddled if you will, for much of the story-but MAN-when ya hit the "rapids"....ya got a purty story girl!....
    spideymanHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesycat
  • I am re-reading 'Talisman'

:) 
    Dennis Downing - Territories - Amazoncom Music
    spideymannot_nadineHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited September 2020
    Thank you to everyone who recommended The Ten Thousand Doors of January, cat being the loudest voice in favor of the read.

It was really a terrific story.  I loved the last couple pages before the Epilogue. 
    I've been looking for my door all my life.  I think it got burned to ash right before I found it.

In my paperback version of this, Alix Harrow gives an interview and she talks about her influences for this story.  One of them was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. This is in my TBR pile.  Have any of you read this as I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

She also has a new book (I don't know if it is out yet) The Once and Future Witches.  Have any of you read this one?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirnot_nadinecat
  • catcat
    edited September 2020
    Thank you to everyone who recommended The Ten Thousand Doors of January, cat being the loudest voice in favor of the read.

It was really a terrific story.  I loved the last couple pages before the Epilogue. 
    I've been looking for my door all my life.  I think it got burned to ash right before I found it.

In my paperback version of this, Alix Harrow gives an interview and she talks about her influences for this story.  One of them was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. This is in my TBR pile.  Have any of you read this as I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

She also has a new book (I don't know if it is out yet) The Once and Future Witches.  Have any of you read this one?
    So glad you enjoyed it! I still rank it as my favorite read this year. (But Kelly Braffet's  The Unwilling is very close behind, I am very much enjoying it, too.)

I have not read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Morrell but have looked at it before. Alix Harrow's new book comes out 10-13. I have it on my wishlist but have not pre-ordered yet. I am definitely getting it, just not sure if it will be on release day or wait a while. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanFlakeNoir
  • cat said:

So glad you enjoyed it! I still rank it as my favorite read this year. (But Kelly Braffet's  The Unwilling is very close behind, I am very much enjoying it, too.)

I have not read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Morrell but have looked at it before. Alix Harrow's new book comes out 10-13. I have it on my wishlist but have not pre-ordered yet. I am definitely getting it, just not sure if it will be on release day or wait a while. 
    I think SusanNorton read Jonathan Strange.... it's tugging at my memory that she didn't like it but for the life of me, I can't remember why.

When you read the Witches book, be sure and let me know your thoughts.  She's a very good writer.
    GNTLGNTcatspideymanFlakeNoir
  • Finishing up Agatha Christie's Murder at the Vicarage.  Always a good author. Then starting a new Cozy Mystery series. 
    catHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirnot_nadineNeesy
  • Just finished The Unwilling. I really loved it. The ending left me a bit crazy but Kelly Braffet says she is working on the sequel, so yay! 

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirnot_nadineNeesyspideyman
  • I read The Shack for the "something outside your comfort zone" category of the reading challenge I am participating in. It definitely was outside my comfort zone. And a lot of it way over my head. I am glad it has helped people but for me it was hard to get through. 

Last category I have to check off is something that was nominated for an award. So started The River by Peter Heller. Nominated for the Edgar Award. Chosen because out of a list of possibles, I already had this one on my kindle. 😄 I have read The Dog Stars by him previously and enjoyed it. 

This one starts off with 2 friends canoeing down a series of lakes/rivers. They met some drunk weirdos right away. So I was kind if already dreading that it would be a Deliverance type copycat story. But, similarities aside, (really, so far, just the friends canoeing plus the weirdos they met, but they didn't do anything but exchange some words.) I got lost in it and when I looked up (because Scott got up from sleeping for nights) I was 80 pages in. It is pretty good, so far. Looking forward to getting back to it. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesy