Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    One On One is my favorite of hers.
    ....then I shall try that one....are ya with me Deej?.....
    Not sure i can even get ahold of that.
    ....I’ll take a look around and see what I can find and then will report back my Queen....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarospideyman
  • I think my library can get it through in interlibrary loan.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideyman
  • edited August 2020
    Can someone tell me if they have read, or know someone who has read escaped lunatic Peter Straub's book:

The Process (Is a Process All Its Own)?

Is it any good?

(poor Petah 
    :D
    GNTLGNTcatspideymanFlakeNoir
  • I have read it. It's challenging. Here's Blu Gilland's review
  • I have read it. It's challenging. Here's Blu Gilland's review
    I'm thinking this is one of those car crash books for me.  You know it's going to be gruesome and visceral, but you still have to look.  Driving, driving, don't look don't look don't look, awwww dammit! I looked!

I want to read it now, especially after that review.  But, I know deep down, I'm going to want to call the authorities to check out Peter's basement.  

Man, this guy writes in blood.
    catGNTLGNTspideymanFlakeNoir
  • First time I met him, he invited me up to his hotel room after a couple of drinks at the bar while he was getting ready to do a signing. I found myself thinking--this is the guy that wrote "The Juniper Tree" and "The Blue Rose." What am I getting myself into? 

He's a terrific guy. So funny. 

"Process" is a warmup story for his in-progress novel HELLO JACK. Jack being Jack the Ripper, I believe.
    catHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanFlakeNoir
  • First time I met him, he invited me up to his hotel room after a couple of drinks at the bar while he was getting ready to do a signing. I found myself thinking--this is the guy that wrote "The Juniper Tree" and "The Blue Rose." What am I getting myself into? 

He's a terrific guy. So funny. 

"Process" is a warmup story for his in-progress novel HELLO JACK. Jack being Jack the Ripper, I believe.
    I tease about peter. I’m sure he’s terrific guy (that you should never turn your back on.)

he has to have a great sense of humor to balance out that homicidal thing he’s got going. 
  • I love jack the ripper stuff. I’ve read numerous works and watched a lot of documentaries on him. Having said that, Could i name all his victims without looking? Maybe 3.   

Open letter to peter straub:

Dear Mr. Straub:

Please feel free to send me your Ripper book as a random first reader. I will quit trash talking you immediately.

love, 

dana jean
  • I spent an evening with Peter at a conference where he got progressively drunker on vodka. He proceeded to explain the entire plot of his next book to me, in exquisite detail. I think it was "lost boy, lost girl."

He also gave me a signed manuscript of "The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine" at World Horror in Austin several years back. It was so funny -- he came in and sat beside me during a panel on graphic novels and proceeded to "whisper" (he doesn't do quiet very well) about his unhappy experiences with that genre.
  • I am reading Woody Allen’s book, Apropos of Nothing.   

He has done something horrible in my eyes— possible kiss of death — there is not one chapter break in 392 pages. So far, i’m not even seeing many spaced breaks at all.  I hate that! And his paragraphs are dense things full of references to stuff i know and have heard of, but many others won’t get his jokes when using said references. But thinking about that, I guess if they are reading a woody allen book, they probably are of a certain time so would get it. 

Anyway, I’ve always told friends who wanted to write — write a thousand pages, but keep chapters short.   Reading is an endurance sport. A mind game. I can buzz through a thousand pages faster than i can 300 if the first keeps the chapters short and the second locks me into long chapter hell. And especially in today’s world of gnat attention spans, mine included. 
  • I am reading Woody Allen’s book, Apropos of Nothing.   

He has done something horrible in my eyes— possible kiss of death — there is not one chapter break in 392 pages. So far, i’m not even seeing many spaced breaks at all.  I hate that! And his paragraphs are dense things full of references to stuff i know and have heard of, but many others won’t get his jokes when using said references. But thinking about that, I guess if they are reading a woody allen book, they probably are of a certain time so would get it. 

Anyway, I’ve always told friends who wanted to write — write a thousand pages, but keep chapters short.   Reading is an endurance sport. A mind game. I can buzz through a thousand pages faster than i can 300 if the first keeps the chapters short and the second locks me into long chapter hell. And especially in today’s world of gnat attention spans, mine included. 
    ....Dean Koontz has done that well over the years, breaking down the story into bite size chapters, but I'm falling out of love with him right now.....he changed publishers and they are putting a lot of his new stuff out for e-readers only.....I am done....no real books, no more second favorite author.....I draw the line......so, if anyone wants an entire library of Koontz, I'm willing to entertain offers.....
    Hedda GablercatspideymanFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2020
    GNTLGNT said:
    I am reading Woody Allen’s book, Apropos of Nothing.   

....Dean Koontz has done that well over the years, breaking down the story into bite size chapters, but I'm falling out of love with him right now.....he changed publishers and they are putting a lot of his new stuff out for e-readers only.....I am done....no real books, no more second favorite author.....I draw the line......so, if anyone wants an entire library of Koontz, I'm willing to entertain offers.....
    I devour a book that keeps its chapters short.  If it's a good book. 

The print can be tiny even, but I see that a chapter is short and I think, one more chapter.  And I get to the end of that chapter so quickly and think, I have time for one more chapter.  I just keep doing this to the point, an hour passes and I am well into this story.  The author has my full attention.
  • I spent an evening with Peter at a conference where he got progressively drunker on vodka. He proceeded to explain the entire plot of his next book to me, in exquisite detail. I think it was "lost boy, lost girl."

He also gave me a signed manuscript of "The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine" at World Horror in Austin several years back. It was so funny -- he came in and sat beside me during a panel on graphic novels and proceeded to "whisper" (he doesn't do quiet very well) about his unhappy experiences with that genre.
    That's the stuff that dreams are made of.  Just these interesting moments in time, a bit surreal.  I love that you had that moment.  Has Peter done a graphic novel?  I'm not sure we'd be able to see or read anything with all the blood splatter.  

Maybe I'll have a moment like that too when SERIAL KILLER PETER STRAUB SENDS ME A COPY OF HIS LATEST RIPPER BOOK.

shhhhhhh.  Keep that between you and me.
  • Has Peter done a graphic novel?  I'm not sure we'd be able to see or read anything with all the blood splatter.  
    Other than the failed attempt to do THE TALISMAN, he has THE GREEN WOMAN, which he co-wrote with his ONE LIFE TO LIVE costar Michael Easton. (Peter played blind, retired detective Pete Braust in several episodes.)
    spideymanFlakeNoircatGNTLGNT
  • Has Peter done a graphic novel?  I'm not sure we'd be able to see or read anything with all the blood splatter.  
    Other than the failed attempt to do THE TALISMAN, he has THE GREEN WOMAN, which he co-wrote with his ONE LIFE TO LIVE costar Michael Easton. (Peter played blind, retired detective Pete Braust in several episodes.)
    Wait.  Did I read that right?  Peter Straub was on ONE LIFE TO LIVE?  The soap opera?  I watched ONE LIFE TO LIVE back in my young motherhood days.  I wonder if I knew this character. I'm going to have to investigate.

FlakeNoircatGNTLGNT
  • edited August 2020
    Dear Emma Straub:

RE: Peter Straub - One Life to Live

You know your family recorded this.  I know your family recorded this.

Please post them here.

All the best,

dana jean

:D  :D :D
    FlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNTspideyman
  • Have you ever read Emma Straub? She's quite good.
  • Have you ever read Emma Straub? She's quite good.
    Thank you.
  • I've read Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures.
  • .....I enjoy him so much, that I have added this to my TBR stack....quite a departure from my normal intake....
    In Alex Trebeks Reluctant Moving Memoir Life Is All About the
    spideymanHedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • GNTLGNT said:

....that would be the one bro(not to take away from Neesy, just tryin' to help)......

The man in the black suit  Stephen king books King art The dark tower

Thanks for answering Scott - did not get on here this past weekend :)
    ...no problem....I'm not the shy retiring type....or so I have been told.....in four letter words....
    big hug  tigger-big-hug-01gif  Tigger Big hug gif Hug gif Stay safe at work ((((Scott)))) and have a great weekend!

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerspideyman
  • Neesy said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....that would be the one bro(not to take away from Neesy, just tryin' to help)......

The man in the black suit  Stephen king books King art The dark tower

Thanks for answering Scott - did not get on here this past weekend :)
    ...no problem....I'm not the shy retiring type....or so I have been told.....in four letter words....
    big hug  tigger-big-hug-01gif  Tigger Big hug gif Hug gif Stay safe at work ((((Scott)))) and have a great weekend!

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor - Find  Share on GIPHY
    NeesyFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideyman
  • I ordered three books from the local library but I won't hold my breath until they come in. Lately things have slowed down a lot.

They are all by an author named Tana French and all in large type

She writes mysteries; Here is a quote from an interview with her:

The roots of this fascination, she says, may lie in the fact that she read Stephen King’s It in her early teens (“Too young,” she says with a laugh.) It wasn’t the evil clown that traumatised her. It was the fact that the characters who had confronted it as children had no memory of the horror when they grew up.

“They know something is there,” she says. “But whatever this memory is, it keeps being eroded out of their minds by an external force. That really freaked me out, the idea that your mind is not inviolable, it’s this vulnerable place that can be changed and transformed and can’t be trusted.

That’s what stuck with me. That shows up in my books.” She laughs. “It’s all Stephen King’s fault.”

GNTLGNTnot_nadineFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideyman