Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• cat said:
    I read The Shack for the "something outside your comfort zone" category of the reading challenge I am participating in. It definitely was outside my comfort zone. And a lot of it way over my head. I am glad it has helped people but for me it was hard to get through. 

Last category I have to check off is something that was nominated for an award. So started The River by Peter Heller. Nominated for the Edgar Award. Chosen because out of a list of possibles, I already had this one on my kindle. 😄 I have read The Dog Stars by him previously and enjoyed it. 

This one starts off with 2 friends canoeing down a series of lakes/rivers. They met some drunk weirdos right away. So I was kind if already dreading that it would be a Deliverance type copycat story. But, similarities aside, (really, so far, just the friends canoeing plus the weirdos they met, but they didn't do anything but exchange some words.) I got lost in it and when I looked up (because Scott got up from sleeping for nights) I was 80 pages in. It is pretty good, so far. Looking forward to getting back to it. 
    I read The Shack awhile ago, and enjoyed it.  I loved the 'God' character!
    FlakeNoircatspideymanHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Zipped all the way through The River last night. It was pretty good. There were a couple direct mentions of Deliverance, which made me chuckle a bit, since that was my first thought when I started it. 

It also reminded me a little of Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. 

All in all, quick read that was pretty suspenseful and packed full of emotion for a 250 pg book. 
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • cat said:
    Thank you to everyone who recommended The Ten Thousand Doors of January, cat being the loudest voice in favor of the read.

It was really a terrific story.  I loved the last couple pages before the Epilogue. 
    I've been looking for my door all my life.  I think it got burned to ash right before I found it.

In my paperback version of this, Alix Harrow gives an interview and she talks about her influences for this story.  One of them was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. This is in my TBR pile.  Have any of you read this as I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

She also has a new book (I don't know if it is out yet) The Once and Future Witches.  Have any of you read this one?
    So glad you enjoyed it! I still rank it as my favorite read this year. (But Kelly Braffet's  The Unwilling is very close behind, I am very much enjoying it, too.)

I have not read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Morrell but have looked at it before. Alix Harrow's new book comes out 10-13. I have it on my wishlist but have not pre-ordered yet. I am definitely getting it, just not sure if it will be on release day or wait a while. 
    I think SusanNorton read Jonathan Strange.... it's tugging at my memory that she didn't like it but for the life of me, I can't remember why.

When you read the Witches book, be sure and let me know your thoughts.  She's a very good writer.
    Gurl.... I absolutely ADORED Jonathan Strange! I've re-read it several times, and just got my copy of Susanna Clarke's newest book in the mail yesterday. It's a huge book, and took me a couple of days to really get into (but this was post-Katrina, so I was distracted), but once I did I was hooked. It's beautifully written, and just thinking about it now makes me know I'm going to read it again soon. Seriously, it's in my top 10 favorite books of all time.

And now I'm also going to have to read the Ten Thousand Doors of January!
    catnot_nadineNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanNeesy
  • cat said:
    Thank you to everyone who recommended The Ten Thousand Doors of January, cat being the loudest voice in favor of the read.

It was really a terrific story.  I loved the last couple pages before the Epilogue. 
    I've been looking for my door all my life.  I think it got burned to ash right before I found it.

In my paperback version of this, Alix Harrow gives an interview and she talks about her influences for this story.  One of them was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. This is in my TBR pile.  Have any of you read this as I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

She also has a new book (I don't know if it is out yet) The Once and Future Witches.  Have any of you read this one?
    So glad you enjoyed it! I still rank it as my favorite read this year. (But Kelly Braffet's  The Unwilling is very close behind, I am very much enjoying it, too.)

I have not read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Morrell but have looked at it before. Alix Harrow's new book comes out 10-13. I have it on my wishlist but have not pre-ordered yet. I am definitely getting it, just not sure if it will be on release day or wait a while. 
    I think SusanNorton read Jonathan Strange.... it's tugging at my memory that she didn't like it but for the life of me, I can't remember why.

When you read the Witches book, be sure and let me know your thoughts.  She's a very good writer.
    Gurl.... I absolutely ADORED Jonathan Strange! I've re-read it several times, and just got my copy of Susanna Clarke's newest book in the mail yesterday. It's a huge book, and took me a couple of days to really get into (but this was post-Katrina, so I was distracted), but once I did I was hooked. It's beautifully written, and just thinking about it now makes me know I'm going to read it again soon. Seriously, it's in my top 10 favorite books of all time.

Well j just had that wrong, didn’t i? 
    NotaroGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirspideyman
  • cat said:

Well j just had that wrong, didn’t i? 
    Smile And Nod GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatspideymanNeesy
  • catcat
    edited October 2020
    Just finished The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James.  I was so excited to read this...it started off great, the first chapter had my heart pounding. But then it changed a bit. I was expecting a ghost/haunted hotel story. It was, but it was more of a solve a mystery story. 

There were several continuity errors that I caught. And, the author repeated certain "facts" so many times the first half...it could have used a better edit. 

But all in all, the story itself was good, just not exactly what I expected. And, there are several shout outs to Stephen King. She must be a fan. So that was fun. 

I would recommend it, overall. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • I read that one in galleys -- I found I had a hard time differentiating between the characters and events in the two timelines. It was an interesting story with some potential, but ultimately I didn't even bother reviewing it because I found it so badly flawed.
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • ....inspiration postcard mayhap?......
    Carlsbad Sundown Motel 3313 South Highway 1960 Unused New Mexico   Carlsbad New mexico Mexico

Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatspideymanNeesy
  • ....inspiration postcard mayhap?...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymancat
  • The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett. New release that is a prequel to Pillars of the Earth. Really enjoying it so far, 230 pages in. 
    spideymanNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • ....still working my way through the first "Best Of" CD collection......DAMN!.....there are some great tales in that big sucker, including Bev's contribution......
    catFlakeNoirBevVincentHedda GablerNeesy
  • I got a book from the library called "Mrs. Everything" - after reading the first couple of paragraphs I put it aside, thinking I would not like it.

Then I picked it up again later out of boredom more than anything. I started to enjoy it and ended up finishing the book.

The author is no Stephen King but it was an enjoyable read.

catHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Hola friends!  I'm ashamed of my absence.  No excuse, just laziness. I have been reading a lot.  I finally finished Last Words by Michael Kortya - it was very good.  I just started Head Full of Ghosts - needing something scary for the season.  I have put So Cold the River aside for a little bit.  It's a good book, but I got distracted and here I am.  I ordered The Ten Thousand Doors of January from Thriftbooks.  I am too excited to wait any longer.  Head Full of Ghosts I got on my Kindle, but Ten Thousand Doors is such a pretty book, I wanted the hard copy.  
    catHedda GablerFlakeNoirnot_nadineGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I finished Head Full of Ghosts - it freaked me out a little in the early part with the "visuals". But I hung in there.  I'm still not sure what the ending really was - it could go either way, eh?  I dassn't say more without spoilers, but I'm interested in what everyone else (who read it) thinks of it.  More to the point:  did I misunderstand something or it is intentionally subjective?

I just began The Ten Thousand Doors of January, and I'm so hooked you might not see more until I'm done.  It's exquisite.  
    FlakeNoirnot_nadineHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • edited October 2020
    Okay, this is the third time i’ve started A Head Full of Ghosts. I am determined to get through this. It has nothing to do with the story, it is totally my squirrelness — seeing something a little shinier to dart off to. And i abandon that thing also for something just off to the side, that thing that just catches my eye, all sparkly and glinty with promises of personal fulfillment.

Each thing is less interesting than i thought and i just end up napping in the breakdown lane on the blvd of broken dreams.

I am so full if it. 

not_nadineFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • Okay, this is the third time i’ve started A Head Full of Ghosts. I am determined to get through this. It has nothing to do with the story, it is totally my squirrelness — seeing something a little shinier to dart off to. And i abandon that thing also for something just off to the side, that thing that just catches my eye, all sparkly and glinty with promises of personal fulfillment.

Each thing is less interesting than i thought and i just end up napping in the breakdown lane on the blvd of broken dreams.

I am so full if it. 

🤣 This is pretty much the very description for why my reading keeps stalling.
    That and too many late nights/broken sleep... I just fall asleep with book in hand/ or face on keyboard. 
    Hedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNTNeesycatHollyGolightly
  • Finally I finished A Head Full of Ghosts.

Not bad.  Good writing.
    HollyGolightlyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymancat
  • edited October 2020

I'm just a few pages from finishing The Ten Thousand Doors of January. I really enjoyed it.  I'm ready for it to be over though.  That's not a bad comment on the book - just me getting distracted.  I need a new shiny object.  

What did you think of the ending of Head Full of Ghosts @Hedda Gabler? Demonic intervention? Insanity?  I still can't really make sense of that ending. 

I'm not sure what's next for me. I'm going to see what's free on Kindle and what's good and available on Thriftbooks. Post your latest most favorite book rec!
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymancat
  • edited October 2020

I'm just a few pages from finishing The Ten Thousand Doors of January. I really enjoyed it.  I'm ready for it to be over though.  That's not a bad comment on the book - just me getting distracted.  I need a new shiny object.  

What did you think of the ending of Head Full of Ghosts @Hedda Gabler? Demonic intervention? Insanity?  I still can't really make sense of that ending. 

I'm not sure what's next for me. I'm going to see what's free on Kindle and what's good and available on Thriftbooks. Post your latest most favorite book rec!
    My number one thought would just be insanity.  The whole lot of them.  

I'm mulling around in my head why margorie set up meredith.  Why did she do that?  She loved her sister, but must have deeply hated her too.  

I loved this rambling but not insignificant thought:

"I wanted to leave that room, that house, and I had a brief runaway fantasty where I ran away to California, which I'd never been to, to where all the Bigfoots were, and I'd disappear into the woods and live alone, become a rumor, an occasional blurred sighting."

I don't know what struck me so about it.  I'm sort of feeling that people in my life are rumors and occasional blurred sightings in this strange landscape we all find ourselves in.  Yes. Maybe that's it. Or maybe I'm the blurred sighting.  Nobody really seeing me.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycatHollyGolightly
  • Now I'm going to try and finish a book I started months ago, Where the Crawdads Sing.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycat
  • ....I'm a blurred sighting of a Sasquatch.....we Bigfeets move swiftly when cookies are near.....
    Toddler Recreates Uncles Modeling Poses on Funny Instagram Account
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycatHollyGolightly

• I'm just a few pages from finishing The Ten Thousand Doors of January. I really enjoyed it.  I'm ready for it to be over though.  That's not a bad comment on the book - just me getting distracted.  I need a new shiny object.  

I'm mulling around in my head why margorie set up meredith.  Why did she do that?  She loved her sister, but must have deeply hated her too.  

"I wanted to leave that room, that house, and I had a brief runaway fantasty where I ran away to California, which I'd never been to, to where all the Bigfoots were, and I'd disappear into the woods and live alone, become a rumor, an occasional blurred sighting."

I don't know what struck me so about it.  I'm sort of feeling that people in my life are rumors and occasional blurred sightings in this strange landscape we all find ourselves in.  Yes. Maybe that's it. Or maybe I'm the blurred sighting.  Nobody really seeing me.

I see you. 
    NotarospideymanGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesycat
  • FlakeNoir said:

I see you. 
    .....I see her in my dreams.....

Frightening woman in bunny mask by Danil Nevsky - Stocksy United
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerNeesycatHollyGolightly