Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Kurben said:
    Finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. Set in his usual break neck speed. But ultimately i think it was a bit too fast for its own good. Somethings that happened you did not quite grasp why they happened. Explanations slows the pace, agreed but sometimes they are necessary. Good read though.
    You are a beast! A reading machine!  How many books do you get through in a year?
    FlakeNoirNotarocatNeesyspideyman
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. Set in his usual break neck speed. But ultimately i think it was a bit too fast for its own good. Somethings that happened you did not quite grasp why they happened. Explanations slows the pace, agreed but sometimes they are necessary. Good read though.
    You are a beast! A reading machine!  How many books do you get through in a year?
    Carl-Sagan-billions - John Tebeau
    FlakeNoirNotarocatNeesyspideyman
  • Kurben said:
    Not quite the Billions the Giant is referring too but probably somewhere close to 100. That number includes some rereads (sometimes it is such a pleasure to read a really good book again) so all is not new books. But i dont make a list so thats just an estimate.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarocatNeesyspideyman
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:
    Not quite the Billions the Giant is referring too but probably somewhere close to 100. That number includes some rereads (sometimes it is such a pleasure to read a really good book again) so all is not new books. But i dont make a list so thats just an estimate.
    Person of interest GIF - Find on GIFER
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarocatNeesyspideyman
  • Gave up on The Deep (i will return to it shortly) but felt Tudor England calling me back so i have started Heartstone (number 5 in the series) by C.J. Sansom. Set in 1545 when Henry VIII,s catastrophic war with France is on the way. Just begun but it was fun to see a 12-year old Elizabeth make a very short appearance. Our hero, Matthew Shardlake, is just a lawyer so its very rare for him to see royalties.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarocatNeesyspideyman
  • ...I admire your interest in novels of this type....never could get past my boredom threshold with them....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNotarocatNeesyspideyman

• ...I admire your interest in novels of this type....never could get past my boredom threshold with them....
    Its true i like historical novels (and or mysteries) but often i find that its just a way to dress up modern day views and stories in old clothes. Like Ellis Peters Medieval mysteries with monk Cadfael as problemsolver. The mysteries are good but the reality of the time not very convincing. Same with many others, like Simon Scarrow and Even Bernhard Cornwell. What is so rare is to find one who can do it both, recreate the time and create a mystery, at the same time as Sansom can. Even Umberto Ecos excellent In The Name Of The Rose suffers from this because his problemsolver is so obviously a pastisch or homage to Sherlock Holmes in spite of the action taking place in 1327. Not very typical of the time. But as i love history deeply well done historical novels always sits well with me but i dont think its anything to admire...  Different interests leads to different things that bores us and different things that we love. Its as it should be.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTcatNeesyspideyman
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Finished Elevator Pitch. I plan on never riding an elevator again....  Problem is i live on the 8,th floor of a building. I'm doomed.......
    But i liked the book.
    Nobleworks Old Fart in Elevator Funny  Humorous Stan Eales Birthday Card -  Walmartcom - Walmartcom

:D I love this

Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • Kurben said:
    Gave up on The Deep (i will return to it shortly) but felt Tudor England calling me back so i have started Heartstone (number 5 in the series) by C.J. Sansom. Set in 1545 when Henry VIII,s catastrophic war with France is on the way. Just begun but it was fun to see a 12-year old Elizabeth make a very short appearance. Our hero, Matthew Shardlake, is just a lawyer so its very rare for him to see royalties.
    I've started reading Dissolution.  Shardlake is a hunchback!  That was intriguing from the get go.
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Gave up on The Deep (i will return to it shortly) but felt Tudor England calling me back so i have started Heartstone (number 5 in the series) by C.J. Sansom. Set in 1545 when Henry VIII,s catastrophic war with France is on the way. Just begun but it was fun to see a 12-year old Elizabeth make a very short appearance. Our hero, Matthew Shardlake, is just a lawyer so its very rare for him to see royalties.
    I've started reading Dissolution.  Shardlake is a hunchback!  That was intriguing from the get go.
    Yeah, i decided not to tell that so it would surprise someone.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • edited December 2020
    Kurben said:
    Kurben said:
    Well, I just ruined the surprise.

HUNCHBACK! SURPRISE!!! :D :D 

Sorry about that spoiler.  But the hump is out of the bag now.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:

Okay, I don't feel so bad.  Everything I see about the series says right up front that he's a hunchback, so not so much of a spoiler.  Whew.
    NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • Kurben said:

...I admire your interest in novels of this type....never could get past my boredom threshold with them....
    Its true i like historical novels (and or mysteries) but often i find that its just a way to dress up modern day views and stories in old clothes. Like Ellis Peters Medieval mysteries with monk Cadfael as problemsolver. The mysteries are good but the reality of the time not very convincing. Same with many others, like Simon Scarrow and Even Bernhard Cornwell. What is so rare is to find one who can do it both, recreate the time and create a mystery, at the same time as Sansom can. Even Umberto Ecos excellent In The Name Of The Rose suffers from this because his problemsolver is so obviously a pastisch or homage to Sherlock Holmes in spite of the action taking place in 1327. Not very typical of the time. But as i love history deeply well done historical novels always sits well with me but i dont think its anything to admire...  Different interests leads to different things that bores us and different things that we love. Its as it should be.
    ...well and wisely stated my friend.....
    KurbenFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:

Okay, I don't feel so bad.  Everything I see about the series says right up front that he's a hunchback, so not so much of a spoiler.  Whew.
    I meant spoiler for you, my friend! I wanted you to be surprised!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesy
  •  I read that whole thing as 'humpback'.  I'm surprised.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablercatNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:
    Kurben said:

Oh good!  And I was.  I'm just barely into this, but it is going to be interesting, I can tell.
    catNotaroKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Felt like reading a factbook, was awhile ago, so i started Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies. It tells of kingdoms of europe that are now gone like the Burgundian kingdom that has been part of Europe from the 5,th century to the 16,th century in different variations. Also chapters on the Visigothic kingdom and the lituianian kingdom, the kingdom of Aragon, the kingdom of Galicia and of Sabaudia and many more. 

NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Felt like reading a factbook, was awhile ago, so i started Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies. It tells of kingdoms of europe that are now gone like the Burgundian kingdom that has been part of Europe from the 5,th century to the 16,th century in different variations. Also chapters on the Visigothic kingdom and the lituianian kingdom, the kingdom of Aragon, the kingdom of Galicia and of Sabaudia and many more. 

....I'm wondering Kurb, if Tolkein took the Aragorn character from the kingdom's name?....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Felt like reading a factbook, was awhile ago, so i started Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies. It tells of kingdoms of europe that are now gone like the Burgundian kingdom that has been part of Europe from the 5,th century to the 16,th century in different variations. Also chapters on the Visigothic kingdom and the lituianian kingdom, the kingdom of Aragon, the kingdom of Galicia and of Sabaudia and many more. 

....I'm wondering Kurb, if Tolkein took the Aragorn character from the kingdom's name?....
    Never thought of that for some reason....  But why not? Tolkien liked to borrow names from both Celtish and Norse myths and sagas for his characters so its certainly possible.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:

Never thought of that for some reason....  But why not? Tolkien liked to borrow names from both Celtish and Norse myths and sagas for his characters so its certainly possible.
    ....I knew of the Celtic mix, but had forgotten the Norse "tributaries"......
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:

Both Frodo and Gandalf are Norse and, funny enough, Sam Gamgee is from a person, a doctor, Tolkien knew and Saruman is Old English (Cunning Man)so you never really know where you are. Many names, like Aragorn has a meaning in Sindarin, the elf language that Tolkien created but that doesn't mean he couldn't have gotten the idea from somewhere else.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Started Stephen's The Outsider last night. Very tough beginning.  
    NotaroHedda GablerspideymanKurbenGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:
    Kurben said:

100 pages in kurben — haven’t zoned in on a killer suspect yet. At this point, it could be anyone!
    GNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • It is more difficult without fingerprints and dna, isn't it? But there are several hundred pages to go, Hedda.....
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:

Both Frodo and Gandalf are Norse and, funny enough, Sam Gamgee is from a person, a doctor, Tolkien knew and Saruman is Old English (Cunning Man)so you never really know where you are. Many names, like Aragorn has a meaning in Sindarin, the elf language that Tolkien created but that doesn't mean he couldn't have gotten the idea from somewhere else.
    ....thank you for this brother......very illuminating......and much appreciated.....
    KurbenHedda GablerNotaroNeesy