Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Started The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones over the weekend.
    NotarospideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • Grant87 said:
    Started The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones over the weekend.
    That's a fascinating book. I'm only halfway through it, but it does some surprising things.
    spideymanNotaroGrant87FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • Grant87 said:
    That's a fascinating book. I'm only halfway through it, but it does some surprising things.
    Hve you checked out the recent Lawrence Block, Bev? 
    spideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Most recent I've read is: The Burglar in Short Order
    spideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Most recent I've read is: The Burglar in Short Order
    Great choice, I believe that they were stories that Lawrence had written decades ago. 
    GNTLGNTcat
  • His Scudder books are my favorites, but I've always liked the Bernie stories, too.
    spideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • His Scudder books are my favorites, but I've always liked the Bernie stories, too.
    They are comlete opposites with regards to subject, but then again, being a master at comedy and crime is the sign of a great writer. 
    spideymanGNTLGNTcat
    Do you have a favoutie Scudder Book? I really like The Boneyard. 
    spideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes -- definitely my favorite.
    EdwardJohnspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Grant87 said:
    I'm really liking it so far. He has a unique writing style that takes some getting used to, but the story has really pulled me in. The only other thing I've read by SGJ was his story "Lords of the Matinee" in the Final Cuts anthology. That was a really good story, and one of my favorites from that anthology. I plan to check out his novel Mongrels at some point too. I've heard good things about that one.

GNTLGNTspideymanHedda Gablercat
  • edited July 2020
    Does anyone else notice that Steve does a quote for just about any writer? 
  • ....he is a voracious reader, so giving a plug to someone's work isn't that unusual.....he isn't doing it gratuitously.....only if he has truly enjoyed it.....he has said that on more than one occasion.....
    Hedda GablerGrant87FlakeNoircat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....he is a voracious reader, so giving a plug to someone's work isn't that unusual.....he isn't doing it gratuitously.....only if he has truly enjoyed it.....he has said that on more than one occasion.....
    I understand that, but come on, he seems to love everyone. 
  • edited July 2020
    I got The Ten Thousand Doors of January and I have to say, I love this cover.

I read the first two paragraphs and the style is great.  I think I'm going to like this one.  THanks for the recommend cat and I think you also recommended it spidey.
    NotaroFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcatnot_nadine
  • Finished The Only Good Indians. It was phenomenal. Highly recommended. Now I'm on to Devil's Creek by Todd Keisling. It's fantastic so far.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerBevVincentFlakeNoircatspideyman
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....my latest read.....
    Best of Cemetery Dance 2 Cemetery Dance Publications
    ....about halfway into this and I haven't hit a klinker yet.....
    Hedda GablercatNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanNeesy
  • Took The Unwilling and my kindle with me camping. I finished the last short story in Strange Weather by Joe Hill for the short story group, continuing at The Playground. Then started The Troop by Nick Cutter, because I was camping and kindle reading was easier. I am liking it, got more than halfway through. Definite gross out factor and the writing is sometimes choppy, but I am liking the story. 

Will get back to The Unwilling soon. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirspideymanHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • The Weirdest Book Titles On Amazon..engrossing!....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gablercatspideyman
  • ...maybe this one next....
    Fake Book Titles Extravaganza  Skulls in the Stars
    NotaroHedda Gablercatspideyman
  • I finished Devil's Creek last night. Started Malorie by Josh Malerman today. I'm a bit wary with sequels, but this one has been getting good reviews.
    NeesyFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcatnot_nadine
  • I just read 'Bird box' I enjoyed it - I haven't seen the movie yet.

Paperback Bird Box  A Novel Book
    FlakeNoirNeesyHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Grant87 said:
    I finished Devil's Creek last night. Started Malorie by Josh Malerman today. I'm a bit wary with sequels, but this one has been getting good reviews.
    Hi Grant - good to see you here!  I just ordered Malorie today. Hoping that I like it as well as Birdbox!
    NeesyHedda GablerGrant87FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • I got The Ten Thousand Doors of January and I have to say, I love this cover.

I read the first two paragraphs and the style is great.  I think I'm going to like this one.  THanks for the recommend cat and I think you also recommended it spidey.

I really liked this one.  I remember when I used to go to the library and read the first two paragraphs of a random book, if  I liked the style, I would check it out.
    NeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • I got The Ten Thousand Doors of January and I have to say, I love this cover.

I really liked this one.  I remember when I used to go to the library and read the first two paragraphs of a random book, if  I liked the style, I would check it out.
    I just started to read it and now I have some time to really dedicate to it.  
    not_nadineFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • I recently read The Man in the Black Suit, a short story by Stephen King

Now I've started a story called "Young Goodman Brown" - very unusual language but I think this story was written a long time ago.

I'm just reading the PDF

FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNTNotarocat