Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Neesy said:
    I recently read The Man in the Black Suit, a short story by Stephen King

Now I've started a story called "Young Goodman Brown" - very unusual language but I think this story was written a long time ago.

I'm just reading the PDF

....I'm interested in what you see as parallels, since Steve wrote his short story as an homage to Hawthorne's.....
    catHedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Neesy said:

Now I've started a story called "Young Goodman Brown" - very unusual language but I think this story was written a long time ago.

I'm just reading the PDF

....I'm interested in what you see as parallels, since Steve wrote his short story as an homage to Hawthorne's.....

Okie Dokey - will get back to you on that one!

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotarocat
  • Neesy said:

I'm just reading the PDF

Neesy is that the one about the kid getting attacked while he is fishing? 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanNeesycat
  • Notaro said:
    Neesy said:

I'm just reading the PDF

....that would be the one bro(not to take away from Neesy, just tryin' to help)......

The man in the black suit  Stephen king books King art The dark tower
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesycat
  • ....just read Bev's "Harming Obsession" in Best CD Vol. 2......nice piece of work, and reads like a good TV episode.....I was right in knowing what was coming, but he still turned the "damn" dial up in the conclusion..... 
    BevVincentHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycat
  • Glad you liked it -- my first published short story. Won a contest with it!
    not_nadineGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycat
  • Glad you liked it -- my first published short story. Won a contest with it!
    ...deservingly so!.......question Bev....I quickly realized that I cannot easily afford The Best of CD Vol.1 at out of print prices, but I have seen a "Best Of 1 & 2" in paperback from I believe '95 and '96....any relation?....seemed off to have repeat named anthologies....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycat
  • I think they split the first book into two volumes for the paperback release. The new book doesn't have Volume in the title -- it's just The Best of Cemetery Dance 2.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycat
  • I think they split the first book into two volumes for the paperback release. The new book doesn't have Volume in the title -- it's just The Best of Cemetery Dance 2.
    ....absolutely makes sense.....I didn't see the forest for the trees.....appreciate it....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerBevVincentspideymanNeesycat
  • Okay somebody tell me now who has read the ten thou doors....

Is bad dead? 
    I know. That drives you nuts and you want to scream in my face “ just read the book!” But i must know.
    FlakeNoirspideymanNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • Okay somebody tell me now who has read the ten thou doors....

Is bad dead? 
    I know. That drives you nuts and you want to scream in my face “ just read the book!” But i must know.
    Cat read it. I have on my TBR pile. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • edited August 2020
    spideyman said:
    Okay somebody tell me now who has read the ten thou doors....

Is bad dead? 
    This moment stopped me in my tracks.  I was reading along at a nice clip and then this....   In the hands of a good writer, it makes me anxious.  The author is doing her job making me feels.
    FlakeNoirspideymanNotaroGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • spideyman said:
    Okay somebody tell me now who has read the ten thou doors....

Is bad dead? 
    This moment stopped me in my tracks.  I was reading along at a nice clip and then this....   In the hands of a good writer, it makes me anxious.  The author is doing her job making me feels.
    Guess I'd better up its place  to be read a lot sooner!
    NotaroGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • It appears that I will get to the end of this chapter without any enlightenment.  And the next 20 pages is a story within the story that won't touch on this at all.  Ugh!

This book reminds me so very very much of The Talisman and The Dark Tower books.

Doors to elsewhere; flipping through worlds.   It's pretty magical.

I wish I had a man to read this to me.  It would be so charming and romantic to be read to.

If you want to do something beautiful for your significant other, read to them.  Pick a beautiful book to share.  
    FlakeNoirNotarospideymanGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • It appears that I will get to the end of this chapter without any enlightenment.  And the next 20 pages is a story within the story that won't touch on this at all.  Ugh!

This book reminds me so very very much of The Talisman and The Dark Tower books.

I wish I had a man to read this to me.  It would be so charming and romantic to be read to.

If you want to do something beautiful for your significant other, read to them.  Pick a beautiful book to share.  
    If you want I can try and get Ewan to read you a chapter or two? He's pretty good like that....
    NotarospideymanGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    It appears that I will get to the end of this chapter without any enlightenment.  And the next 20 pages is a story within the story that won't touch on this at all.  Ugh!

If you want I can try and get Ewan to read you a chapter or two? He's pretty good like that....
    Yes.  That would be nice.

I went and scanned the text and about 50 pages up ahead, I get an answer -- for now.  But I will only be halfway through the book at that point, so there is still so much danger before this tale is told.
    spideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited August 2020
    FlakeNoir said:
    It appears that I will get to the end of this chapter without any enlightenment.  And the next 20 pages is a story within the story that won't touch on this at all.  Ugh!

Yes.  That would be nice.

I went and scanned the text and about 50 pages up ahead, I get an answer -- for now.  But I will only be halfway through the book at that point, so there is still so much danger before this tale is told.
    My WTF 😲 face was for the last-half-of the book fears. 
    Why do writers insist on messing with the animals?! Take the people dammit,  lots of them deserve it!
    As for Ewan, consider it done.... 😁
    NotaroGNTLGNTspideymanHedda Gablercat

....I'd be willing to do that for Tracy, but she's had plenty of my incessant yapping cuz of radio......still, I gots some nice pipes if she ever asks......
    spideymanHedda GablerNeesycat
  • @Hedda Gabler  I am just dying to read The Ten Thousand Doors of January - did you get it on an e-reader or buy the book?  The cover is so gorgeous I really want the book - but I hate to pay retail - I'm trying to wait it out on Thriftbooks - it's down to $15/$18 at the moment.

I need to read something by @BevVincent and get caught up on my CD reading.

I have stalled on reading at the moment - I'm about 1/2 thru So Cold the River (and loving it).  Just in a lull.  Probably pouting because I want Ten Thousand Doors NOW!

I read The Stand (unabridged) to the Ogre when we were dating in 1990.  He's not a reader but he enjoyed me reading to him.  I read parts of some of the Dark Tower books aloud to him - those are hard to understand when you jump into the middle of it - we always had a lot of discussion about it all.    @GNTLGNT Joyland would be a fun quick read aloud to Tracy.  I meant to take that to my mom this weekend.  She's likes some King - not the gory, terrifying stuff.  Joyland would work.
    FlakeNoirspideymanHedda GablerNeesyGNTLGNTcat
  • @Hedda Gabler  I am just dying to read The Ten Thousand Doors of January - did you get it on an e-reader or buy the book?  The cover is so gorgeous I really want the book - but I hate to pay retail - I'm trying to wait it out on Thriftbooks - it's down to $15/$18 at the moment.

I have stalled on reading at the moment - I'm about 1/2 thru So Cold the River (and loving it).  Just in a lull.  Probably pouting because I want Ten Thousand Doors NOW!

I read The Stand (unabridged) to the Ogre when we were dating in 1990.  He's not a reader but he enjoyed me reading to him.  I read parts of some of the Dark Tower books aloud to him - those are hard to understand when you jump into the middle of it - we always had a lot of discussion about it all.    @GNTLGNT Joyland would be a fun quick read aloud to Tracy.  I meant to take that to my mom this weekend.  She's likes some King - not the gory, terrifying stuff.  Joyland would work.
    I bought the book.  I have a Kindle, but never read anything on it. And it needs updated anyway.  I just can't bring myself to get another one.  I like books in my hands.
    NotaroNeesyspideymanGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    Neesy said:

I'm just reading the PDF

....that would be the one bro(not to take away from Neesy, just tryin' to help)......

Thanks for answering Scott - did not get on here this past weekend :)
    NotaroHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat

...that's a good idear!.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • Neesy said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    Neesy said:

I'm just reading the PDF

Thanks for answering Scott - did not get on here this past weekend :)
    ...no problem....I'm not the shy retiring type....or so I have been told.....in four letter words....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • edited August 2020
    @cat. -- The Ten Thousand Doors.... is really a good story.  I'm almost halfway through and I just love her choice of words.  Very lyrical and whimsical.  Lovely.

I think it's like The Talisman and the Dark Tower -- The Drawing of the Three, but things I read keep comparing it to Narnia.  I have not read Narnia.  Have you and is it a better comparison than The Talisman and the Dark Tower worlds?
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • Starting The Ten Thousand Doors today...............
    not_nadineNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNeesy