Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Oh my lord!!!! List! List!!!!

damn edit time!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbencat

damn edit time!

Perhaps it was a Freudian slip ;)
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbencatNotaro
  • Grant87 said:
    I finished The Living Dead by Romero and Kraus. I liked it, didn't love it. It really slowed down in the last 1/3 of the book.

Then read Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare. Technically, it's a Young Adult novel, but make no mistake, it pulls no punches. It's a fun slasher novel.

After that, I read two novellas: Crossroads by Laurel Hightower and Benny Rose, The Cannibal King by Hailey Piper. Enjoyed both, but Crossroads was next level. Highly recommend that one.

Now I'm on to Heart-Shaped Box. Love the way Joe writes. I'm planning to catch up on the rest of his stuff in 2021.
    ....he honors his father in style, but has his own wry sense of humor and vivid imagination....
    Grant87NeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoircatNotaro

damn edit time!
    Hilary Farr and David Visentin Return in New Episodes of Love It or List  It Premiering Monday August 10  9PM on HGTV - Mortys TV
    NeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbencatNotaro
  • Neesy said:
    Oh my lord!!!! List! List!!!!

damn edit time!

Perhaps it was a Freudian slip ;)

freudian slip Memes  GIFs - Imgflip
    NeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbencatNotaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    I finished The Living Dead by Romero and Kraus. I liked it, didn't love it. It really slowed down in the last 1/3 of the book.

Then read Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare. Technically, it's a Young Adult novel, but make no mistake, it pulls no punches. It's a fun slasher novel.

After that, I read two novellas: Crossroads by Laurel Hightower and Benny Rose, The Cannibal King by Hailey Piper. Enjoyed both, but Crossroads was next level. Highly recommend that one.

Now I'm on to Heart-Shaped Box. Love the way Joe writes. I'm planning to catch up on the rest of his stuff in 2021.
    ....he honors his father in style, but has his own wry sense of humor and vivid imagination....

That he does. I've read both his short story collections and NOS4A2 to this point. I'm really liking Heart-Shaped Box so far. Can't wait to read his other work too.
    GNTLGNTNeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoircatNotaro
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:

That he does. I've read both his short story collections and NOS4A2 to this point. I'm really liking Heart-Shaped Box so far. Can't wait to read his other work too.
    ...HSB is probably his creepiest to this point IMO.....
    NeesyGrant87Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatNotaro
  • I haven't read Congo in years!  I remember liking it quite a bit.  Just don't ever watch the Movie...
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbenNeesycatNotaro
  • ....gonna be eeny, meeny, miney, mo on my TBR pile tonight.....
    catFlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNotaro
  • ....decision made....(real toughie, I picked the one on top....what a lazy ass :D :D)...just so happened it's another volume that contains an entry by our host....

Image result for new sherlock holmes stories
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesycatNotaro
  • Started It Walks By Night by John Dickson Carr. One of my favourite mystery writers and one that should be more recognized nowadays. Christie and Sayers are often mentioned still but Carr is up there with them. Master of locked room murders and loves to spice the story with horror/supernatural elements even if he always presents a totally logical solution without anything supernatural about it. This was written 1930.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoircatNeesyNotaro
  • I love locked room stories!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbencatNotaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....decision made....(real toughie, I picked the one on top....what a lazy ass :D :D)...just so happened it's another volume that contains an entry by our host....

Image result for new sherlock holmes stories
    ....I have been reading this collection each evening, and last night-my anticipation was ramped up even a bit more, because Bev's entry was on deck.....no smoke blowing up his arse either.....the more I read, the more I like his stylings.....and this tale was no different....backing up a bit, my late father introduced me to the legendary sleuth and he and I spent many an hour reading Doyle's exploits of the world's greatest fictional detective, we discussed the stories and it provided wonderful bonding time.....we eventually branched out into those that carried on Holmes and Watson's adventures, and I know he would have loved this collection....back to Bev, he crafted one of the absolute best homages I have ever had the pleasure of reading......and I thank him for that.....the game continues afoot.....
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablercatNeesyNotaro
  • I am still doing my Harry Potter reread. Am about halfway thru book 4, which is my favorite one. Also reading The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides on my kindle. It is a bit dry so far, 100 pages in. 

My new Michael Koryta book was delayed, did not get it yesterday. Hopefully today, but I need to finish one or the other of the two I am already reading before starting it, if I can resist the temptation of starting it right away. @spideyman tells me it is un-putdownable! 
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesyNotaro
  • cat said:
    I am still doing my Harry Potter reread. Am about halfway thru book 4, which is my favorite one. Also reading The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides on my kindle. It is a bit dry so far, 100 pages in. 

My new Michael Koryta book was delayed, did not get it yesterday. Hopefully today, but I need to finish one or the other of the two I am already reading before starting it, if I can resist the temptation of starting it right away. @spideyman tells me it is un-putdownable! 
    Started the book Tuesday afternoon, finished it Wednesday after.  You can not put it down. This is a draw you in book and stay in book till the end. Brings back an old character too!!
    catFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesyNotaro
  • Finished Heart-Shaped Box and now I'm almost halfway through A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNeesyNotaro
  • ...still stalking the grimy streets of London with Holmes & Watson.....I only read at bedtime, so I don't plow the wordfield like I used to.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenGrant87catNeesyNotaro
  • Finished The Silent Patient yesterday. It was ok. But the ending was not really a surprise, not if you were paying any kind of attention. 

Am halfway through Never Far Away, the new Michael Koryta. THIS is what thrillers are made of. Really good. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I got out to B & N today.  It was great.  I went early.  It was mostly old people like me, all masked, all socially distancing.  I felt very safe.

I purchased:

If She Wakes -- Michael Koryta
    How It Happened -- Michael Koryta (I don't see an Onyx review on this one, Bev.)

You Koryta people, I would appreciate non spoiler thoughts on those.  They were the only two Koryta books they had.  A shame, I would've bought more.

I love the B & N classics because they have such great spines in my bookcase.  Today I purchased Chinese Myths and Folk Tales.

And, I got The Only Good Indians  by Stephen Graham Jones.  Anyone read this one?  it looked intriguing to me.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Still working on Dark Fire, Kurben.  I had to put it aside for a bit.  Too much going on my way.  But, I renewed it AGAIN and I will finish it up for sure here in the next few days.  It's very good.  I'm so damn curious what happened!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarshaKurben
  • Sorry, I just realized I posted this in wrong thread so I will post it in correct thread.

Brian james freeman has a yummy looking book for his patreon people — Walking With Ghosts, illustrated edition. 

So many cemetery dance books, sub press books and  bev’s huge body of work in various books (that should be collected into one massive book) i want.  I want them all.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • I got out to B & N today.  It was great.  I went early.  It was mostly old people like me, all masked, all socially distancing.  I felt very safe.

I purchased:

How It Happened -- Michael Koryta (I don't see an Onyx review on this one, Bev.)

You Koryta people, I would appreciate non spoiler thoughts on those.  They were the only two Koryta books they had.  A shame, I would've bought more.

I love the B & N classics because they have such great spines in my bookcase.  Today I purchased Chinese Myths and Folk Tales.

And, I got The Only Good Indians  by Stephen Graham Jones.  Anyone read this one?  it looked intriguing to me.

I loved The Only Good Indians. It was my favorite new novel in 2020. The writing style takes a little getting used to, but stick with it. It's worth it.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • edited February 2021
    Grant87 said:
    I got out to B & N today.  It was great.  I went early.  It was mostly old people like me, all masked, all socially distancing.  I felt very safe.

I purchased:

I loved The Only Good Indians. It was my favorite new novel in 2020. The writing style takes a little getting used to, but stick with it. It's worth it.
    Thank you Grant.  Reading the cover, it looked so mysteriously mysterious.
    Grant87FlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Sorry, I just realized I posted this in wrong thread so I will post it in correct thread.

Brian james freeman has a yummy looking book for his patreon people — Walking With Ghosts, illustrated edition. 

So many cemetery dance books, sub press books and  bev’s huge body of work in various books (that should be collected into one massive book) i want.  I want them all.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatMarsha

I purchased:

Both Koryta books you got are great. If She Wakes introduces a new character who is related to the hitmen in Those Who Wish Me Dead.  I think you have read that one? And How It Happened is good, too. Kind of more a police procedural type story but the mystery grabs you and pulls you in and the way he goes about revealing the clues is interesting. Both are great! 

I haven't read any of Koryta's books that I haven't liked, and I have read them all except a couple of his first few books. He is a must buy on release day guy for me. One of the few. 

Looking forward to getting back to Never Far Away, his newest one, now that we are home again. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaKurben