Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• cat said:
    I got out to B & N today.  It was great.  I went early.  It was mostly old people like me, all masked, all socially distancing.  I felt very safe.

I purchased:

If She Wakes -- Michael Koryta
    How It Happened -- Michael Koryta (I don't see an Onyx review on this one, Bev.)

You Koryta people, I would appreciate non spoiler thoughts on those.  They were the only two Koryta books they had.  A shame, I would've bought more.

I love the B & N classics because they have such great spines in my bookcase.  Today I purchased Chinese Myths and Folk Tales.

And, I got The Only Good Indians  by Stephen Graham Jones.  Anyone read this one?  it looked intriguing to me.
    Both Koryta books you got are great. If She Wakes introduces a new character who is related to the hitmen in Those Who Wish Me Dead.  I think you have read that one? And How It Happened is good, too. Kind of more a police procedural type story but the mystery grabs you and pulls you in and the way he goes about revealing the clues is interesting. Both are great! 

I haven't read any of Koryta's books that I haven't liked, and I have read them all except a couple of his first few books. He is a must buy on release day guy for me. One of the few. 

Looking forward to getting back to Never Far Away, his newest one, now that we are home again. 
    Yes, I've read Those Who Wish Me Dead and really liked it.  Now I don't know which one to go with first. They both sound good.  Thanks for the feedback, cat.
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaKurbenspideyman
  • Started Seeing Is Believing by Carter Dickson (a pen name for John Dickson Carr). This is not so much a locked room mystery as an impossible murder. 

Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarsha
  • It starts to get near to the annual booksale (every year every bookstore in the country has a big sale on books between the last week in february and 2-3 weeks onwards. I have ordered three books so far; The Testaments by Margaret Atwood, My Life As A Rat by Joyce Carol Oates (two authors i held very high in esteem) and a book on the 30-year war here in Europe. I planned to order a book on Japans history that looked promising but it was already sold out! Drat!!!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • Kurben said:
    It starts to get near to the annual booksale (every year every bookstore in the country has a big sale on books between the last week in february and 2-3 weeks onwards. I have ordered three books so far; The Testaments by Margaret Atwood, My Life As A Rat by Joyce Carol Oates (two authors i held very high in esteem) and a book on the 30-year war here in Europe. I planned to order a book on Japans history that looked promising but it was already sold out! Drat!!!
    Image result for funny book sale
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • Currently reading The Deep by Alma Katsu. It's been really good so far. Almost has a Gothic, haunted house feel to it, but it takes place on the Titanic! Alma is just a fantastic writer. If you haven't read The Hunger or The Deep, I recommend both.

On a related note, the Bram Stoker Awards final ballot was revealed. Not sure how many here keep up with those, but they're essentially the Oscars of horror fiction. Our guy Stephen King has won his fair share over the years. I've read (or currently reading) 4 of the 5 finalists for Best Novel. My vote would go to The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones. If you're looking for some new reading material, go check out the nominees for those awards. (Not sure if I can link to their page or not.)
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenMarshacatNeesy
  • I think you can link us. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • I think you can link us. 
    Thank you. I wasn't sure.

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerMarshacat
  • The Only Good Indians —

I am trying my best to go with this story.  I have a super hard time with animal death/abuse/neglect etc....

i’m 75 pages in.  And not quite sure how this fleshes out to something worth continuing to read.  But, i’m gonna put my faith in Grant that i need to keep going.

GNTLGNTKurbenGrant87
  • The Long Way Home Richard Chizmar 9781587677151 Amazoncom Books...new read....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87Marsha
  • I think chizmar is an excellent writer — not given the love he deserves. Like i’ve said, book two of Gwendy WITHOUT Stephen King was better than the first one.  Might just be me. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenMarshaGNTLGNT
  • I think chizmar is an excellent writer — not given the love he deserves. Like i’ve said, book two of Gwendy WITHOUT Stephen King was better than the first one.  Might just be me. 
    I haven't read book two yet. I really Richard's work. He's a good guy too.
    KurbenHedda GablerMarshaNotaroGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I got out to B & N today.  It was great.  I went early.  It was mostly old people like me, all masked, all socially distancing.  I felt very safe.

I purchased:

How It Happened -- Michael Koryta (I don't see an Onyx review on this one, Bev.)

You Koryta people, I would appreciate non spoiler thoughts on those.  They were the only two Koryta books they had.  A shame, I would've bought more.

I love the B & N classics because they have such great spines in my bookcase.  Today I purchased Chinese Myths and Folk Tales.

And, I got The Only Good Indians  by Stephen Graham Jones.  Anyone read this one?  it looked intriguing to me.
    Both Koryta books you got are great. If She Wakes introduces a new character who is related to the hitmen in Those Who Wish Me Dead.  I think you have read that one? And How It Happened is good, too. Kind of more a police procedural type story but the mystery grabs you and pulls you in and the way he goes about revealing the clues is interesting. Both are great! 

I haven't read any of Koryta's books that I haven't liked, and I have read them all except a couple of his first few books. He is a must buy on release day guy for me. One of the few. 

Looking forward to getting back to Never Far Away, his newest one, now that we are home again. 
    Yes, I've read Those Who Wish Me Dead and really liked it.  Now I don't know which one to go with first. They both sound good.  Thanks for the feedback, cat.
    If you haven't started reading yet, may I suggest If She Wakes as the first read.  Guaranteed a grabber and you will be pulling for the main character in more than one way.

How It Happened is an excellent mystery filled with twists and turns.
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNotaroGNTLGNTNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I think chizmar is an excellent writer — not given the love he deserves. Like i’ve said, book two of Gwendy WITHOUT Stephen King was better than the first one.  Might just be me. 
    I really *like Rich's work.
     Bloody hell, I need to stop making posts 2 minutes before I leave for work. 🙄
    Hedda GablerMarshaKurbenNotaroGNTLGNT
  • spideyman said:
    cat said:

I purchased:

If you haven't started reading yet, may I suggest If She Wakes as the first read.  Guaranteed a grabber and you will be pulling for the main character in more than one way.

How It Happened is an excellent mystery filled with twists and turns.
    Nope, haven’t started yet so i will do your order. 
    FlakeNoirMarshaKurbenNotaroGNTLGNT

• FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    I think chizmar is an excellent writer — not given the love he deserves. Like i’ve said, book two of Gwendy WITHOUT Stephen King was better than the first one.  Might just be me. 
    FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    I understood😃
    FlakeNoirMarshaKurbenNotaroGNTLGNT
  • The Only Good Indians —

I am trying my best to go with this story.  I have a super hard time with animal death/abuse/neglect etc....

i’m 75 pages in.  And not quite sure how this fleshes out to something worth continuing to read.  But, i’m gonna put my faith in Grant that i need to keep going.

Stay with it. It will start coming together.
    MarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2021
    Grant87 said:
    The Only Good Indians —

Stay with it. It will start coming together.
    I will.  There is way too much story to go.  There’s got to be twists and turns and shocks ahead.
    MarshaGrant87KurbenNotaroGNTLGNT
    ....Rich is quite a top notch scribbler.....needs more love......
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaGrant87
  • GNTLGNT said:

I agree. I've really liked everything I've read by him. Still need to read Gwendy's Magic Feather, but I plan to do that soon. If Chasing the Boogeyman is as good as everyone is saying, Rich will hopefully start getting some more recognition as a writer. Can't wait to read that one.
    MarshaFlakeNoirKurbenNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

I agree. I've really liked everything I've read by him. Still need to read Gwendy's Magic Feather, but I plan to do that soon. If Chasing the Boogeyman is as good as everyone is saying, Rich will hopefully start getting some more recognition as a writer. Can't wait to read that one.
    ....yes sir my friend!....I am eagerly awaiting this one as well......you'll like Gwendy too....Chiz has a skill set that equals many of the "heavy hitters" but he has a voice that is unique and needs to turn into a yell....
    Hedda GablerKurbenGrant87FlakeNoirMarshacat
  • edited February 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....yes sir my friend!....I am eagerly awaiting this one as well......you'll like Gwendy too....Chiz has a skill set that equals many of the "heavy hitters" but he has a voice that is unique and needs to turn into a yell....
    Will Chasing...be in book stores?

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Next week, Later drops.  I am very excited.  I'm not sure why though. I have many Stephen King books to read that I have not read.  Like 5 or 6 sitting here staring me in the face.  

Later will get the nod.
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshacatNeesy
  • Next week, Later drops.  I am very excited.  I'm not sure why though. I have many Stephen King books to read that I have not read.  Like 5 or 6 sitting here staring me in the face.  

Later will get the nod.
    I preordered my copy today. Since i can't get to the bookshop and buy it (drat covid) i will get it through mail instead. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacatNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

Will Chasing...be in book stores?

....Deej, I don't know if it'll be a brick & mortar book or not.....I reserved mine through Amazon, via CD.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

I liked Button Box quite a bit. I'm giving that one a re-read before I start Magic Feather, just to refresh my memory.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenMarshacat