Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Finished So Cold The River by Koryta. First i was unsure what was going on but it developed into one heck of a ride. Will definitely seek him out again.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    Finished So Cold The River by Koryta. First i was unsure what was going on but it developed into one heck of a ride. Will definitely seek him out again.
    ....I'm probably going to get some more of his work, once I knock off about the top 10 foot of my TBR pile.....
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablercatMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Finished So Cold The River by Koryta. First i was unsure what was going on but it developed into one heck of a ride. Will definitely seek him out again.
    ....I'm probably going to get some more of his work, once I knock off about the top 10 foot of my TBR pile.....
    I have some in the shelves that i havent read yet. The Cypress House, A Welcome Grave and The Ridge. Dont know which to go for of them. You pick them up when its a steal price, perhaps jst a dollar or two, and then you wait for the moment.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Okay Kurben, I have about 50 pages to go on Dark Fire.  Very good story. I really enjoy the historical stuff, even the simplest stuff.  I often wonder what is real history and what is his fictional history.  I'm worried though.  It seems Matthew is on the wrong team with this one, not that he had much say in it.  But, I'm guessing the next book, Cromwell will be gone and the Duke of Norfolk -- who doesn't like Matthew -- will come into "power" with Catherine marrying Henry.  How's he going to keep his neck intact from Henry the VIII?

I have Sovereign ready to pick up at the library.  Will finish this one tonight and swap out for the next one.
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoircatMarsha
  • Its a darn good series both from a mystery point of view and historical correctness. Part of his (matthews) problem is that he is desillusioned from the first book (where he found out that the allegations against Anne Boleyn was all trumped up by cromwell). That she was innocent crushed his belief in the new religion and he never really was fond of the old either. But he is still moral enough to want to solve mysteries where people ask for help even though it will involve him in politics which he dislike. When it comes to this book. Dark fire was a fact but if it made an appearance in Tudor england is a speculation from the authors part. It is one of the big debates among Tudor historians what exactly caused Cromwells fall. The answer in this book is one of them. There are many others. All knew that it was a very risky post to have because Henry VIII was quick to fierce measures if he was unhappy with the service, measures that he sometimes regretted. But then they were already dead. Still everyone sought the ultimate honor of becoming what Cromwell was. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    I have some in the shelves that i havent read yet. The Cypress House, A Welcome Grave and The Ridge. Dont know which to go for of them. You pick them up when its a steal price, perhaps jst a dollar or two, and then you wait for the moment.
    A Welcome Grave is book two of a series . It follows Sorrow's Anthem,.  Part of the Lincoln Perry mystery series.

Cypress House is one of the supernatural  books- excellent. Depression era.

The Ridge  is paranormal and a thriller.

All 3 are excellent reads. Since you just finished  SO Cold The River, I'd suggest either CH or The Ridge.  Enjoy
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatMarshaNeesy
  • spideyman said:
    Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    A Welcome Grave is book two of a series . It follows Sorrow's Anthem,.  Part of the Lincoln Perry mystery series.

All 3 are excellent reads. Since you just finished  SO Cold The River, I'd suggest either CH or The Ridge.  Enjoy
    Thank you, Spidey!!!
    On another front i got a mail today from the store i ordered Later from. The shipping has been delayed they say and i have to wait even longer for my Kingfix. GRRRRR!!!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatHedda GablerMarsha
  • Kurben said:
    spideyman said:
    Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:

Thank you, Spidey!!!
    On another front i got a mail today from the store i ordered Later from. The shipping has been delayed they say and i have to wait even longer for my Kingfix. GRRRRR!!!
    Sad Kaitlin Olson GIF by The Mick - Find  Share on GIPHY
    FlakeNoirKurbencatHedda GablerMarsha
  • @Kurben I'm sorry to hear that... 😩
    GNTLGNTKurbencatHedda GablerMarsha
  • I've finished 'Later'.  Enjoyed all of it.
    KurbencatHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaNeesyGNTLGNT
  • I finished Later today as well. Really great little story I enjoyed it a lot. I would not mind catching up with Jamie again, later. 😉😀
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirnot_nadineMarshaNeesyGNTLGNT
  • Reading The Fall Of The West by Adrian Goldsworthy about the slow fall of the roman empire in the west and its causes. Historians are very divided about the causes (there are about 200 different theories). He starts 180 AD when the last of "the Good Emperors" died (Marcus Aurelius). Since Vespasian in 69 to Marcus there had really only been one bad emperor (Domitian). The Empire was at its height. After 180 they were extremely rare. Bad emoerors and civil wars became a common thing, not the exception. There were some exceptions like Septimus Severus, Diocletian and Constantine that at least tried but most failed. I like that Goldsworthy tries to be fair both to the individual emperors and to the different causes to this decline. He has his opinions but first he tries to deliver the facts, then to suggest explanations to them. Not, as to many writers do in their eagerness, present a theory and then support it with the facts that fit. Often leaving aside facts that dont fit. A theory is always wrong if a proven fact does not fit it. Facts are stubborn things, they do not go away if you stare at them long enough or ignore them. Theories can be changed to incorporate new facts. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Finished Later yesterday. Was not expecting that revelation. Am now into Those Who Wish Me Dead and really enjoying it so far.
    not_nadineHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanNeesyNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • I wasn't expecting that either. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanNotaroGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Life kicks me in the butt and I put the book down. I need to stop doing this. 🙄
    spideymanNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Marsha said:
    Finished Later yesterday. Was not expecting that revelation. Am now into Those Who Wish Me Dead and really enjoying it so far.
    Reminder- Koryta has two detective, thriller series. The Lincoln Perry, and then the Markus Novak.  Both are excellent.

Three of the stand alone  are supernatural/ paranormal with mystery within.

And do not forget The Chill under his Scott Carson name.  

Enjoy!!
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • ....and the wait for Later continues.....

No Way Eye Roll GIF by VH1 - Find  Share on GIPHY
    Hedda GablerKurbenMarshacatFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I got my ex of Later today!! I'm so happy right now. The Weekend is saved. All other books in my TBR pile has to excuse me a few days....
    MarshaHedda GablercatGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • spideyman said:
    Marsha said:
    Finished Later yesterday. Was not expecting that revelation. Am now into Those Who Wish Me Dead and really enjoying it so far.
    Reminder- Koryta has two detective, thriller series. The Lincoln Perry, and then the Markus Novak.  Both are excellent.

Three of the stand alone  are supernatural/ paranormal with mystery within.

And do not forget The Chill under his Scott Carson name.  

Enjoy!!

Had looked through the books list in the front of the book so had noticed those. The other one I have out from the library is Rise the Dark. They didn't have his complete catalog but will go through what they do and maybe they can get others through interlibrary loan if there's still time before I go back to Maine.
    Hedda GablerspideymancatGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • Rise the Dark is the second book in the Novak series.
     Here is a listing:

Publication Order of Lincoln Perry Books

Tonight I Said Goodbye(2004)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Sorrow's Anthem(2006)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    A Welcome Grave(2007)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Silent Hour(2009)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Publication Order of Markus Novak Books

Last Words(2015)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Rise the Dark(2016)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Last Honest Horse Thief(2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Publication Order of Standalone Novels

Envy the Night(2008)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    So Cold the River(2010)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Cypress House(2011)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Ridge(2011)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Prophet(2012)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Those Who Wish Me Dead(2014)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    How It Happened(2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    I'm Still Here(2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    If She Wakes(2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Chill(As:Scott Carson)(2020)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Never Far Away(2021)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    KurbencatGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroMarshaNeesy
  • I think i’m going to start Finders Keepers. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenMarshacatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • spideyman said:
    Rise the Dark is the second book in the Novak series.
     Here is a listing:

Publication Order of Lincoln Perry Books

Tonight I Said Goodbye(2004)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Sorrow's Anthem(2006)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    A Welcome Grave(2007)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Silent Hour(2009)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Publication Order of Markus Novak Books

Last Words(2015)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Rise the Dark(2016)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Last Honest Horse Thief(2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Publication Order of Standalone Novels

Envy the Night(2008)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    So Cold the River(2010)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Cypress House(2011)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Ridge(2011)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Prophet(2012)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Those Who Wish Me Dead(2014)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    How It Happened(2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    I'm Still Here(2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    If She Wakes(2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    The Chill(As:Scott Carson)(2020)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
    Never Far Away(2021)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Thanks for this! The library didn't have anywhere near this many of his books.
    FlakeNoircatNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • .....Later will be in my mailbox today......

Happiness GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    MarshacatNotaronot_nadineFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Finished Later. Great read. 
    not_nadineFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatMarshaNeesy