Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    Finished The Tommyknockers last night. I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. I loved the relationship between Bobbi and Gardener, as well as Ev, the grandfather doing everything he can to get his grandson back. Those characters were fantastic. I thought the ending was well done too. Sure, this book has plenty of crazy, almost silly, stuff in it, but I thought the good easily outweighed the bad. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'm a fan.
    ....not his best, but even when he's "bad", it's pretty good.....
    I thought that this a book that has a real good book inside itself but felt that the finished product needed some editing. The good parts were really good but then there were other parts that tried to drown the good parts. They should have been edited. not erased, just shortened.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerGrant87catNotaroMarshaspideymanNeesy
  • ...it was a drug fueled book if I recall....so uneven is to be expected....
    Hedda GablerGrant87catNotaroMarshaspideyman
  • Tommyknockers was probably my least favourite of my most loved Stephen stories. He has a few works that I just didn't gel with at all, but this isn't necessarily of them.
    I think adult me needs to reread this one.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerGrant87catNotaroMarshaspideyman
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Tommyknockers was probably my least favourite of my most loved Stephen stories. He has a few works that I just didn't gel with at all, but this isn't necessarily of them.
    The first time i tried to read it, i hated it and didn’t make it through. Second time, i was able to appreciate what  was good about it. Dreamcatcher is worse. 
    Grant87FlakeNoircatKurbenNotaroMarshaspideymanGNTLGNT
  • I definitely agree it needed more editing. There are parts of the book that are all over the place. There were also several characters that didn't add much to the story at all. It's far from perfect, but I liked it.

I've never watched the mini-series or TV movie, whatever it was. I heard it's awful. Anyone else watched it?
    NotaroHedda GablerMarshaKurbenspideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Finished Kinas Historia (The History of China). The second half was better than the first, the one dealing with the birth and progress of modern China after the fall of the last emperor in 1912. Felt like the author was really more interested in modern China then Ancient China. I much prefer John Keays or Bamber Gascoignes histories of China to this one. That might be because i am much more interested in Ancient China than Modern China. I'm not really that interested in the last dynasty of emperors. Too modern for me. After the last Ming emperor hit the dust in the 17,th century my interest starts to vane. Its the same with any country really, when its gets to close to modern times it starts to get to uninteresting. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTNeesyspideyman
  • Grant87 said:
    I definitely agree it needed more editing. There are parts of the book that are all over the place. There were also several characters that didn't add much to the story at all. It's far from perfect, but I liked it.

I've never watched the mini-series or TV movie, whatever it was. I heard it's awful. Anyone else watched it?
    ...I did, and as much as I liked both leads-Pinocchio was less wooden.....
    MarshaHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Tommyknockers was probably my least favourite of my most loved Stephen stories. He has a few works that I just didn't gel with at all, but this isn't necessarily of them.
    The first time i tried to read it, i hated it and didn’t make it through. Second time, i was able to appreciate what  was good about it. Dreamcatcher is worse. 
    Dreamcatcher 2003  Filmsack Show Notes  BRIAN DUNAWAY
    MarshaHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    I definitely agree it needed more editing. There are parts of the book that are all over the place. There were also several characters that didn't add much to the story at all. It's far from perfect, but I liked it.

I think that's actually one of the nicer comments I've seen about it :D

MarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:

I think that's actually one of the nicer comments I've seen about it :D

....yet, the effects were simply "out of this world"..... :D :D :D :disappointed:
    The Tommyknockers 1993 - Rotten Tomatoes

Hedda GablerMarshaKurbenFlakeNoirNeesyspideyman
  • Finished Airframe by Michael Crichton. Felt like a thriller and i had a few Crichton in my TBR pile. This had pace but was a bit too technical at times. A female heroine which is a bit unusual sadly, at least in the part of leading character. Now the only Crichton left in TBR pile is Eaters of the Dead.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablerspideymancat
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Airframe by Michael Crichton. Felt like a thriller and i had a few Crichton in my TBR pile. This had pace but was a bit too technical at times. A female heroine which is a bit unusual sadly, at least in the part of leading character. Now the only Crichton left in TBR pile is Eaters of the Dead.
    ....I think that one will feed your anthropological appetite....
    KurbenNeesyFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideymancat
  • Just finished A Brief History Of Superheroes. It was an interesting journey through DC,s and Marvels different heroes origins, Development, successes and failures. Deals with both the comics and their appearance in radio, TV and cinema.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • Kurben said:
    Just finished A Brief History Of Superheroes. It was an interesting journey through DC,s and Marvels different heroes origins, Development, successes and failures. Deals with both the comics and their appearance in radio, TV and cinema.
    ....I get a kick out of who ripped off which company's characters...."we had them first!", "NO, we created it first!!".....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenNotarospideymanNeesycat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    Just finished A Brief History Of Superheroes. It was an interesting journey through DC,s and Marvels different heroes origins, Development, successes and failures. Deals with both the comics and their appearance in radio, TV and cinema.
    ....I get a kick out of who ripped off which company's characters...."we had them first!", "NO, we created it first!!".....
    I only know one thing for sure, the big bad boy Thanos in Marvel is a clear Ripoff of DC,s Darkseid. Thanos hit the screens first but Darkseid is several years ahead in the comics. I mean, they look like relatives!!
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotarospideymanNeesycat
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Kurben said:
    I only know one thing for sure, the big bad boy Thanos in Marvel is a clear Ripoff of DC,s Darkseid. Thanos hit the screens first but Darkseid is several years ahead in the comics. I mean, they look like relatives!!

FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenNotarospideymancat
  • ...my post-Later read.....
    Echoes The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories Datlow Ellen Bailey Dale  Ballingrud Nathan de Bodard Aliette Bowes Richard Cadigan Pat  Carroll Siobhan Crawford F Marion Das Indrapramit Dowling Terry  Evenson Brian Files

Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanNeesycat
  • edited April 2021
    ....Tremblay's entry hangs with you like the scent of Mexican cuisine on your clothes post-dinner.....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirKurbenNeesycat
  • Finished Red Widow by Alma Katsu last night. Really good CIA spy thriller. Alma was in the CIA for over 30 years, so the book definitely has an authentic feel to it. It's very much a character driven novel and not as action packed as most spy thrillers out there right now. I liked it quite a bit, and it's apparently in the early stages of being made into a TV series at Fox. I recommend checking it out, along with her other books The Hunger and The Deep.

Today, I'm starting my next King read, The Dark Half.
    KurbenNeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Red Widow by Alma Katsu last night. Really good CIA spy thriller. Alma was in the CIA for over 30 years, so the book definitely has an authentic feel to it. It's very much a character driven novel and not as action packed as most spy thrillers out there right now. I liked it quite a bit, and it's apparently in the early stages of being made into a TV series at Fox. I recommend checking it out, along with her other books The Hunger and The Deep.

Sounds interesting! I really liked The Hunger and The Deep. Didn't know about this one. Thanks for the tip.
    Grant87NeesyFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Grant87 said:
    Finished Red Widow by Alma Katsu last night. Really good CIA spy thriller. Alma was in the CIA for over 30 years, so the book definitely has an authentic feel to it. It's very much a character driven novel and not as action packed as most spy thrillers out there right now. I liked it quite a bit, and it's apparently in the early stages of being made into a TV series at Fox. I recommend checking it out, along with her other books The Hunger and The Deep.

I need to read The Dark Half. 
    FlakeNoirspideymanNotaroGNTLGNTGrant87cat
  • Grant87 said:

I need to read The Dark Half. 
    Buy The Dark Half - Microsoft Store
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGrant87Neesycat
  • I went to the second hand bookstore today. They had a special deal of 10 books for a dollar. Probably needed to make space. Anyway I, of course, couldn't resist. Some were just shot in the darks choices but i got hold of two books by Maria Gripe that i like very much. Has just read the first "Skuggan över stenbänken" ,approximately The Shadow over the Stonebench, that is one of the best youth novels that ive ever read. Can be read with joy by everyone from 10-100 years of age. Serious subjects but seen from two teenage girls standpoint in sweden of 1911-12. It was great to get an opportunity to read it again.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesycat
  • ....just got this in from CD....it's an adaptation of Black House....

A Little Silver Book A Screenplay - DreamHaven
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesycat
  • edited April 2021
    I posted this in wrong thread so I’ll  bring it here:

anyone familiar with author NK Jemisin? Sci fi/fantasy 
    FlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTcat