Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....many thanks, and trust me-I spend that on a book and Tracy hauls my ass into divorce court.... :D
    I'd be right there with you. I spend much more money on books than my wife is aware of, the way it is.

16 Things You Can Relate to If You Have Too Many Books
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGrant87spideymanMarshaNeesycat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....many thanks, and trust me-I spend that on a book and Tracy hauls my ass into divorce court.... :D
    I'd be right there with you. I spend much more money on books than my wife is aware of, the way it is.

Exactly. by the by i'm thinking about buying a new bookshelf..... Only problem is i dont know where to fit it in.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanMarshaNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • edited April 2021
    Into the Forest and All the Way Through by Cynthia Pelayo

I found this author through the Clubhouse when Bev did his reading.  She also participated as well as another author (who I will talk about when I finish her book.)

This is a book of poems and I'm not a poetry girl.  But, she got me when she talked about this book.  It is a series of poems about true crime murdered and missing females.  She writes about a case from every state.  Every state has someone in the book, (or a couple someones -- a drop in the missing and murdered bucket unfortunately) as well as Puerto Rico.  I remember many of these people. And I have wondered about them from time to time.  Were they ever found?  Was justice served?

It's heartbreaking. 

It's a very quick read.  But, it took me awhile. Not that Cynthia will see this, but I want her to know, every single case she wrote about, I looked up that person.  I looked at their photographs or the composite drawings and I read about the crime.  I felt I owed that to these missing and murdered females.  I owed it to the people still looking for the lost, seeking justice.  I owed it to the found ones seeking justice.    I felt I owed it to Cynthia and all her hard work.

To the victims and their friends and families, I see you. You are not forgotten.
    Quoting myself — her book reminded me of a good documentary about violence towards women called I Am Evidence. It focuses on thousands upon thousands of rape kits sitting unprocessed  because police departments don’t have the money to run them.  If I remember correctly, they cost about 1500 per kit.  

so, these crimes go unsolved and rapists/murderers are still out there. 

I wish people with billions would, instead of buying some outrageous car, process about a hundred thousand rape kits. 
    FlakeNoirspideymanMarshaNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • I've been thinking about getting AirPods for a while now as listening to audiobooks while crafting would solve the problem of how to read more books without interfering with crafting and make the 4+ hour trip to/from MA more interesting. My cousin who just visited has them and hearing her praises convinced me to bite the bullet. Yesterday was my first day doing my hour-long daily walk with them and it was great. I have decided to work my way through all the Michael Koryta books that are available on audio using my Scottsdale Library card which, of course, I'll be able to continue to use even when I'm in Maine. First up is The Ridge. I'd hoped to borrow The Last Honest Horse Thief as I've read the other 2 in the Markus Novak series but they didn't have it in audiobook. :/
    spideymanNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • Marsha said:
    I've been thinking about getting AirPods for a while now as listening to audiobooks while crafting would solve the problem of how to read more books without interfering with crafting and make the 4+ hour trip to/from MA more interesting. My cousin who just visited has them and hearing her praises convinced me to bite the bullet. Yesterday was my first day doing my hour-long daily walk with them and it was great. I have decided to work my way through all the Michael Koryta books that are available on audio using my Scottsdale Library card which, of course, I'll be able to continue to use even when I'm in Maine. First up is The Ridge. I'd hoped to borrow The Last Honest Horse Thief as I've read the other 2 in the Markus Novak series but they didn't have it in audiobook. :/
    The Last Horse Thief , as far as I recall is only avail on kindle. Arnd $5.99. It's short - only 62 pages- a bibliomystery. It does give background to Novak, but not essential for the series. 

Enjoy The Ridge-- very en"lightening". 
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNeesycat
  • Marsha said:
    I've been thinking about getting AirPods for a while now as listening to audiobooks while crafting would solve the problem of how to read more books without interfering with crafting and make the 4+ hour trip to/from MA more interesting. My cousin who just visited has them and hearing her praises convinced me to bite the bullet. Yesterday was my first day doing my hour-long daily walk with them and it was great. I have decided to work my way through all the Michael Koryta books that are available on audio using my Scottsdale Library card which, of course, I'll be able to continue to use even when I'm in Maine. First up is The Ridge. I'd hoped to borrow The Last Honest Horse Thief as I've read the other 2 in the Markus Novak series but they didn't have it in audiobook. :/
    I still have several of Michael's books to catch up on. I haven't read any of the Markus Novak series.
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • Reading The Complete History of Jack The Ripper by Philip Sugden. This is a very good complement to the Ripper book i read awhile back. That concentrated on the different suspects, then and now and let different authors make a case for their frontrunner. This concentrates on the facts and is eager to do away with myths and/or falsehoods presented elsewhere. It presents a background of each possible victim from birth onwards and goes into detail about the murder evidence. Resting squarely on primary evidence from doctors at inquests, witness statements and police reports it gives a very clear picture of what we Know and what the papers and later authors made up and makes a strong effort to separate the two. If you want a book that tells you that this is, without a doubt, Jack the Ripper this is not it! But if you want to know the facts and the implications of these facts so that you can use your own judgment when it comes to all the theories this is your book. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNeesycat
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

Exactly. by the by i'm thinking about buying a new bookshelf..... Only problem is i dont know where to fit it in.
    ....get one that fits over the toilet tank!.....
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshacat
  • Marsha said:
    30 Jokes About AirPods That Are So Dang Funny And So Dang True
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNeesynot_nadinecat
  • Marsha said:
    I still have several of Michael's books to catch up on. I haven't read any of the Markus Novak series.

I enjoyed them even though I read them out of order not realizing Rise the Dark was a sequel. In a way, it made it more interesting because it kept me anticipating what the event was in book 1 that he'd referred to several times in book 2.
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesyBevVincentcat
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....picked it up for under 70 bucks from an Indie store on eBay.....CD is running a contest right now for a signed copy, all tied in to Chizmar's Chasing the Boogeyman release....there appears to be a hell of a lot of cross promotion and push for this book of Rich's.....not sure why, unless it's to try to break him through to the best seller's list again, but as a "solo artist"....he's certainly overdue.....
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaHedda GablerGrant87cat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....picked it up for under 70 bucks from an Indie store on eBay.....CD is running a contest right now for a signed copy, all tied in to Chizmar's Chasing the Boogeyman release....there appears to be a hell of a lot of cross promotion and push for this book of Rich's.....not sure why, unless it's to try to break him through to the best seller's list again, but as a "solo artist"....he's certainly overdue.....
    There are quite a few notable horror novels coming out this summer. I think he's just trying to make sure his book doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Can't be easy releasing a new book around the same time a new King book hits the shelves. Rich's book is getting a lot of acclaim, so I hope it's a big hit.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenNotaroMarshacat
  • .....the premise is intriguing for sure.....
    Hedda GablerGrant87FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroMarshacat
  • I broke down.  Ordered final gwendy, chasing boogs and a Pete crowther book. 

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTMarshaKurbencat
  • ....your imagination thanks you....
    FlakeNoirMarshaNotaroHedda Gablercat
  • I heard of a book by Ira Levin called This Perfect Day; it was on the show Travelers

So now I am trying to find it at the local library but it looks like they don't carry it

FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • Reading Secrets Of The Third Reich by german historian Guido Knopp. Has good chapters on Rommel, Himmler and Speer and somethings not so wellknown about them. Also a good chapter on the Hitler family. His two sisters, Angela and Paola, that supported him when he needed it and his blackmailing english nephew William Patrick Hitler that squeezed him for money but after the war changed his name to, i think, Hiller. Also his father and mothers family tree. And one chapter on the woman infatuated by Hitler. Sounds strange to us but there were quite a number. From Charlotte Lobjoi at the end of WWI to Eva Braun, Maria Reiter, Geli Raubal, Winifred Wagner and the English lady and convinced Nazi Unity Mitford during the 20,s and 30,s. Since Hitler was, according to his own speeches was married to the german nation they were kept behind the scene in secret. In his reasoning less women would vote for him if he had a girlfriend or wife and it might have been sound political reasoning from him for more women than men voted for the Nazis. This the ladies took hard. Braun tried twice to take her life but was saved by her sister, Raubal shot herself and Mitford died in the consequences of a suicide attempt. When the war started Braun became more accepted as his companion.
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • My plan is to read finders keepers today.  Yes, the whole thing. 

The clock starts….now!
    KurbenFlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTNotaroMarshacat
  • My plan is to read finders keepers today.  Yes, the whole thing. 

The clock starts….now!
    Kit Cat Clock GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroKurbenMarshacatNeesy
  • edited May 2021
    Made it to page 116of a 400+ book. 🤣

i stopped to watch 2 Scooby Doos, Real housewives of Atlanta reunion 1&2; and an episode of The Innocent. 

FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • Finished Phantoms recently, and now I'm reading The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward. This book has been getting a ton of buzz and stellar reviews. Sounds like it might be one of the best horror novels of the year.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacatNeesy
  • ....got my copy of In The Tall Grass today.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenGrant87NotaroMarshacat
  • Reading a book on the war on the eastern front in WW2. It has been written so much about Berlin, Normandie, The ardennes, Crete, North Africa and the blitzkrieg in france but the bloodiest battles that were completely without mercy on both sides were fought on the eastern front germany versus the sovjetunion. Charkov, Kursk, Stalingrad, Moscow, Minsk, Smolensk and Rostov are just some of the many battles. In comparison with how the germans behaved here they were extremely polite and civil in the west. (everything is relative). It had both political and ideological reasons. The political reasons were that Hitler, when France was invaded, still hoped for a separate peacetreaty with britain or even an alliance against the common enemy (as he saw it) the sovjetunion. The ideological was that the sovjets were untermenschen in his words (subhumans, not really worth to live compared with the german folk). The brits and the french also stemmed from german tribes in the beginning so was prepared to tolerate them but the polish and the russians were slavs and therefore far below the noble german. 
    When i need to brighten my mood from these deepdives in how horrid the human species can behave i go back to some books from my childhood. Right now reading some Biggles books. I collected them as a child and remember them as good youth adventure stories. I remember how i , aged about 25, realized i had to get rid of at least some of my youth books to get room. I remember going through books by Enid Blyton, Biggles, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books and some others and deciding what to keep. I kept about 8 Biggles books and now, some 30 years after that painful choice was made, i can see that my 25 year old me know what he was doing. They are still entertaining. Thank god i was wise enough then not to throw them all away.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablercatNeesy
  • How did your sleep do?
    catKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • That night worked according to plan but then i slept late because i was so tired so awoke late and have started to glide out of sync again. Somehow i doubt my body clock is set according to a 24 hour day. . ....
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTMarshaHedda GablerNeesy