Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• @Grant87 ; Twilight Eyes is my favorite Koontz
    catNeesyGrant87
  • Agree with Watchers, I read that one a couple times.
    catGrant87
  • cat said:
    I might watch his class just to see if he acknowledges the fact he doesn’t write them.   The authors talk pretty intimately  about their process — how can he if he isn’t involved in the process? What will he say?
    I would be interested in knowing what he says. I used to read him, I liked the Alex Cross books and he did write good mysteries/thrillers, before he started handing everything off to other people. I remember seeing an interview where he said he has the outline of the story and he gives feedback to the people actually doing the writing but that was when I quit reading him. He was quite arrogant in the interview.  I'm not sure if this was always his way or just something he started doing later on. I know when the books started coming out with his name in huge font and then "and so and so" underneath in tiny font was when I stopped reading him. 

I think it is kind of unfair to the actual writers but maybe they do go on to have their own careers. I think I have seen books by a guy who wrote for Patterson...if it is a stepping stone for them, good for them. But it doesn't seem right for Patterson to profit off of someone else's work. My opinion. 
    Exactly.   How does that make you feel good about yourself?   Why can't people give proper credit to other people?  I just don't get it.  

I've started watching him.  I think he did write his own work at first.  He makes a passing comment early on that if HE writes an outline to the story, it turns out great.  But if he doesn't, the book isn't as good (but he still puts his name on it in the big letters.) So, he's basically trashing the author who did write it, but he still lays claim to it.  So it must not be THAT bad.

I forget off hand, but I think his class is almost 4 hours and I'm only about 20 minutes in so I will report back when I finish it.

cat
  • edited April 2021
    Into the Forest and All the Way Through by Cynthia Pelayo

I found this author through the Clubhouse when Bev did his reading.  She also participated as well as another author (who I will talk about when I finish her book.)

This is a book of poems and I'm not a poetry girl.  But, she got me when she talked about this book.  It is a series of poems about true crime murdered and missing females.  She writes about a case from every state.  Every state has someone in the book, (or a couple someones -- a drop in the missing and murdered bucket unfortunately) as well as Puerto Rico.  I remember many of these people. And I have wondered about them from time to time.  Were they ever found?  Was justice served?

It's heartbreaking. 

It's a very quick read.  But, it took me awhile. Not that Cynthia will see this, but I want her to know, every single case she wrote about, I looked up that person.  I looked at their photographs or the composite drawings and I read about the crime.  I felt I owed that to these missing and murdered females.  I owed it to the people still looking for the lost, seeking justice.  I owed it to the found ones seeking justice.    I felt I owed it to Cynthia and all her hard work.

To the victims and their friends and families, I see you. You are not forgotten.
    catBevVincent
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....I always recommend his Odd Thomas series....some of his best work....
    I've also got Lightning and Strangers on my shelves. I'm planning to pick up some more. The Odd Thomas series is on my radar. What other standalone novels do you recommend?

....Watchers and Lightning are pretty decent for a start....
    catHedda GablerGrant87
  • cat said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

....I always recommend his Odd Thomas series....some of his best work....
    I've also got Lightning and Strangers on my shelves. I'm planning to pick up some more. The Odd Thomas series is on my radar. What other standalone novels do you recommend?

Lightning is one of my favorites by Koontz. Watchers and Twilight Eyes are a couple more. I also recommend the Odd Thomas books. Really his stuff is pretty solid. 

@GNTLGNT ; I remember you saying Koontz's  publisher had moved him to all e-books.  Amazon does have a hardcover version of the newest, The Other Emily, I think it's called. I have fallen behind in reading his books but thought you might like to know that. 
    ....we are on the same wavelength Cat...LOL...same one's I reccyed, and how in the hell did I forget Eyes???.....I saw where he released another hardback, but I became disenchanted with the move of publishers and I'll just re-read his older material as time permits....
    catHedda GablerNeesyGrant87
  • Well, personally i think Koontz can be a hit or miss author. But my faves are Lightning, Watchers, Twilight Eyes, Whispers and some more. I had hopes for his Frankenstein series but never liked it.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesycatGrant87
  • Kurben said:
    Well, personally i think Koontz can be a hit or miss author. But my faves are Lightning, Watchers, Twilight Eyes, Whispers and some more. I had hopes for his Frankenstein series but never liked it.
    Totally agree, some were really good and others were... "is this the same author?" 🤔

GNTLGNTNeesyKurbencatHedda Gabler
  • ...no arguments there....he got diarrhea of the keyboard more than a few times-though I did enjoy his reimagining of the Frankenstein universe, but it’s not for everyone....
    KurbenFlakeNoircatHedda GablerGrant87
  • cat said:
    I might watch his class just to see if he acknowledges the fact he doesn’t write them.   The authors talk pretty intimately  about their process — how can he if he isn’t involved in the process? What will he say?
    I would be interested in knowing what he says. I used to read him, I liked the Alex Cross books and he did write good mysteries/thrillers, before he started handing everything off to other people. I remember seeing an interview where he said he has the outline of the story and he gives feedback to the people actually doing the writing but that was when I quit reading him. He was quite arrogant in the interview.  I'm not sure if this was always his way or just something he started doing later on. I know when the books started coming out with his name in huge font and then "and so and so" underneath in tiny font was when I stopped reading him. 

I think it is kind of unfair to the actual writers but maybe they do go on to have their own careers. I think I have seen books by a guy who wrote for Patterson...if it is a stepping stone for them, good for them. But it doesn't seem right for Patterson to profit off of someone else's work. My opinion. 
    I saw a 'Sunday Morning show' on Patterson. He had cabinets and cabinets full of outlines.  Yes he has others write the books.  I have no respect for him.
    Okay, finished the class.  Before I start blabbin' away, I'll give you this:

Cambridge dictionary: 

collaboration:  
    the situation of two or more people working together to create or achieve the same thing.

So, I think we as readers have a very different thought about collaboration. We think they are an equal partnership.  By that above definition, Patterson's books are collaborations.  People are working to achieve one thing:  Patterson's Book.  They all agree they are collaborating.  I would call that something else.

James Patterson addresses his co-authoring in this class. And two of his co-authors speak.  

The first thing he says right out of the gate about it:  

paraphrasing, " Have you heard of Woodward and Bernstein, Simon and Garfunkel, Lennon and McCartney, Rogers and Hammerstein,  Trey Parker and Matt Stone, STEPHEN KING AND PETER STRAUB etc..."

He says that working with a coauthor is great as long as they know it's a James Patterson book.  I'm pretty sure Stephen King did NOT say that to Peter Straub. I don't think Paul looked at Art and said, "Dude. You can work with me as long as you know this is my stuff."  Or wait, maybe he did and that's why they broke up.  

@NN, you commented you saw a Sunday Morning on him with bookcases filled with outlines.  How thick were those?  Because he says, he works on those outlines for months and he said, if you do an outline right, it could be the book.  So he's basically saying he does write these stories, the "co-authors" just fill in some stuff. He also says he likes their feedback as they sometimes have good ideas.   

He's really pretty insulting about it on one hand, but then turns around and gives a nice compliment.  It's like he beats a dog and then pats it on the head and tells it "who's a good boy?  you're a good boy."

I have watched I think 10 masterclasses???? somewhere right there -- of all of them so far, his is the least professional looking.  There are a million jump cuts mid sentence where he's talking and then all of a sudden, we're in another location, it's obvious it's another day because he's changed clothes.  I do not for one minute think this was Masterclass's doing.  I believe Patterson was a difficult teacher to deal with.

Now, having said all this, I did find his class interesting enough to have spent time on.  I do think he knows what he's doing.  In every possible way.  He's working smart, not hard.  But there is something not quite admirable about it.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • Only started reading S.K's Later a couple of days ago, finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    Only started reading S.K's Later a couple of days ago, finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. 
    .....maybe we can talk about it.....later......ok dude.......later!......
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    Only started reading S.K's Later a couple of days ago, finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. 
    One persons later is another persons now, right??   :D
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    One persons later is another persons now, right??   :D
    ....unless it's later than we think.... :o
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gabler
  • Just read The Mammoth Book Of Jack The Ripper edited by one Maxim Jakubowski. Its not arranged like most Ripper books, which i like, that have a fave suspect and try to prove their case. Here there is first a short summary of the basic facts, dates, reports and witnessreports and so on and then 17 different authors give their view of the case and who the most likely suspect is. Some are clearly so totally locked on their opinion that they cant see or believe that others dont agree with them. 14 different villains are pinpointed. The best cases i thought were made by the authors making a case for William Bury, James Barnett and James Maybrick but the case of Carl Feigenbaum was also well presented. I am sure others who read the same book will think other theories are better. I would like to see someone going through the 20 or so most common suspects and giving both for and against in each case. So we see both the theory's strength and its weakness. But to my knowledge no such book has ever been written.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Just read The Mammoth Book Of Jack The Ripper edited by one Maxim Jakubowski. Its not arranged like most Ripper books, which i like, that have a fave suspect and try to prove their case. Here there is first a short summary of the basic facts, dates, reports and witnessreports and so on and then 17 different authors give their view of the case and who the most likely suspect is. Some are clearly so totally locked on their opinion that they cant see or believe that others dont agree with them. 14 different villains are pinpointed. The best cases i thought were made by the authors making a case for William Bury, James Barnett and James Maybrick but the case of Carl Feigenbaum was also well presented. I am sure others who read the same book will think other theories are better. I would like to see someone going through the 20 or so most common suspects and giving both for and against in each case. So we see both the theory's strength and its weakness. But to my knowledge no such book has ever been written.
    I must get this. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • Kurben said:
    Just read The Mammoth Book Of Jack The Ripper edited by one Maxim Jakubowski. Its not arranged like most Ripper books, which i like, that have a fave suspect and try to prove their case. Here there is first a short summary of the basic facts, dates, reports and witnessreports and so on and then 17 different authors give their view of the case and who the most likely suspect is. Some are clearly so totally locked on their opinion that they cant see or believe that others dont agree with them. 14 different villains are pinpointed. The best cases i thought were made by the authors making a case for William Bury, James Barnett and James Maybrick but the case of Carl Feigenbaum was also well presented. I am sure others who read the same book will think other theories are better. I would like to see someone going through the 20 or so most common suspects and giving both for and against in each case. So we see both the theory's strength and its weakness. But to my knowledge no such book has ever been written.
    I must get this. 
    the second edition that i got was published in 2008. Updated from the original 2000 edition. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • A Little Silver Book A Screenplay - DreamHaven....well done thus far, I like what they've done, whilst staying faithful to the source.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • If anyone is looking to the buy the exclusive edition of In The Tall Grass that was published for Independent Bookstore Day, I'll leave a link below. I searched various stores online last night for about an hour, and Katy Budget Books down in Bev's neck of the woods was the first store I came across that had it in stock. If you want one, you should probably order ASAP.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Grant87 said:
    If anyone is looking to the buy the exclusive edition of In The Tall Grass that was published for Independent Bookstore Day, I'll leave a link below. I searched various stores online last night for about an hour, and Katy Budget Books down in Bev's neck of the woods was the first store I came across that had it in stock. If you want one, you should probably order ASAP.

....appreciate it buddy, but I must have been behind the 8 ball....have a bid in on one right now on eBay....I have lit a bundle of sage to ward off the bad juju so I get this sucker.....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    If anyone is looking to the buy the exclusive edition of In The Tall Grass that was published for Independent Bookstore Day, I'll leave a link below. I searched various stores online last night for about an hour, and Katy Budget Books down in Bev's neck of the woods was the first store I came across that had it in stock. If you want one, you should probably order ASAP.

....appreciate it buddy, but I must have been behind the 8 ball....have a bid in on one right now on eBay....I have lit a bundle of sage to ward off the bad juju so I get this sucker.....
    Signed or unsigned? I checked eBay this morning and a signed one was listed for $2,500!

GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:

Signed or unsigned? I checked eBay this morning and a signed one was listed for $2,500!

.....unsigned.......
    Grant87Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:

.....unsigned.......
    Thought maybe you'd hit the lotto or something. If I come across any other places that still have it, I'll let you know.

• Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

.....unsigned.......
    Thought maybe you'd hit the lotto or something. If I come across any other places that still have it, I'll let you know.

....many thanks, and trust me-I spend that on a book and Tracy hauls my ass into divorce court.... :D
  • edited April 2021
    GNTLGNT said:

....many thanks, and trust me-I spend that on a book and Tracy hauls my ass into divorce court.... :D
    I'd be right there with you. I spend much more money on books than my wife is aware of, the way it is.

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT