Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Notaro said:
    Rewatched, Phantasm and Death Line.

In Phantasm a young boy suspects a strange undertaker is stealing corpses for nefarious purposes. This holds up reasonably well, it has a few creepy moments.

Death Line, people are dissappearing from a certain underground tube station, it seems a long hidden group of subterranean cannibals might be responsible. This was ok, slow moving, Donald Pleasence is in fine form as the detective assigned to the case.

....Phantasm is one of my all-time faves, especially the nasty little "sphere"....
    Notaro
  • .....watched Labyrinth...hadn't seen it for a coon's age, but immediately became a kid again watching Henson's magic....some of the effects are obviously creaky, but the story is still charming and the costuming and puppet creation is unbelievable....Bowie simmered well as the King.....
    NotaroHedda Gabler
  • Rewatched The Heroes Of Telemark, based on a true story of the Norwegian resistance fighters during WW2. A group of resistance fighters battle to destroy a heavy water plant and stop the Germans achieving the ability to make an atomic bomb. Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris are the leads, both give fine performances along with the rest of the equally great cast.

The full movie. 

GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • Found The Innocents on The Criterion Channel — how i love this movie. 

What shall I sing to my lord from my window? What shall I sing for my lord will not stay? What shall I sing for my lord will not listen? Where shall I go when my lord is away? Whom shall I love when the moon is arisen? Gone is my lord and the grave is his prison. What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor. Enter my lord. Come from your prison. Come from your grave, for the moon is a risen. Welcome, my lord.”
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroGNTLGNT
  • I've just watched the original Ghost Busters on TV, it's still good fun and worth the watch.❤
    Next up, Zombieland. 😁
    That's right New Zealand, start Halloween off gently... in September ffs. 🙄😄
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenNeesy
  • OMG... I had forgotten about the Bill Murray thing, no wonder they played it after Ghost Busters! 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurben
  • Interested to hear what you think. I've heard mostly tepid reviews.
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited September 2021
    Interested to hear what you think. I've heard mostly tepid reviews.

i would be very interested in your thoughts also, as well as anyone who watches it.  
    I can get pretty harsh with my thoughts. I don’t mean to be, but i just call it as i see it. Asshole honesty, maybe ? 
     Here’s my advice — Suspend disbelief— just hang it on a hook and don’t look back.  So very many things to ignore that just don’t ring true. The story had potential, but it really was poorly executed. 
    It made me sad. Not the story. Clint Eastwood did.  Frail and fighting the good fight as an actor, director and as a man. This was more a personal thing to clint than it was a movie for us.  I think  i’ve entered the days of looking to the past a little too much. 
    There was a forced, wounded charm to it that i just decided to embrace.  But, Can we just hit rewind? On everything? 
    Yap yap yap — if anyone understands any of that claptrap , thanks . 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Rewatched Friday The 13th Part 3, my favourite of all the sequels, I remember seeing it in the cinema when it was released, the 3D worked brilliantly in it, sadly I don't have a 3D TV so it's the regular 2D for me😢

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • My granddaughter is obsessed with Eloise, so my wife and I watched Eloise at the Plaza the other night to see if it would be suitable. We enjoyed it! Julie Andrews plays Nanny.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoircat
  • Notaro said:
    Rewatched Friday The 13th Part 3, my favourite of all the sequels, I remember seeing it in the cinema when it was released, the 3D worked brilliantly in it, sadly I don't have a 3D TV so it's the regular 2D for me😢

...even the poster was kinda cool....

Friday the 13th Part III 1982 - IMDb
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoircat
  • Cry Macho...I can echo @Hedda Gabler thoughts. But it was an ok, enjoyable watch. Clint Eastwood is reminding me of my grandpa...so tall and stoic, even as you see the effects of age. I did not think the boy was a great actor. And the ending was kind of abrupt. But we enjoyed it ok...even if it was mostly out of nostalgia. 
    FlakeNoirspideymanHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • ....it IS my grandpa!!....
    Clint Eastwood a real grandpa now  10 pics  Clint eastwood Clint  Dina eastwood

NotaroHedda GablercatNeesy
  • catcat
    edited October 2021
    We watched The Many Saints of Newark last night. I LOVED IT. The cast was excellent all the way around. Michael Gandolfini was perfect as young Tony. Could be seen as either a very risky or brilliant move, to cast him but I thought he nailed it and it made me miss James Gandolfini. We really enjoyed it. Started watching The Sopranos again from the beginning immediately after. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTnot_nadineHedda GablerNotaro
  • cat said:
    We watched The Many Saints of Newark last night. I LOVED IT. The cast was excellent all the way around. Michael Gandolfini was perfect as young Tony. Could be seen as either a very risky or brilliant move, to cast him but I thought he nailed it and it made me miss James Gandolfini. We really enjoyed it. Started watching The Sopranos again from the beginning immediately after. 
    Agree 100%,  I am doing the same.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • Took a break from horror movies and watched Flight with Denzel Washington. He is good as always as an alcoholic airline pilot and i know the movie was praised but it just wasn't my cup of tea. So i was fairly indifferent towards it. It is good directed (Robert Zemeckis) and well acted but, i dont know, meh. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • edited October 2021
    cat said:
    I enjoyed this.  And what I particularly loved was how they took storylines from the TV show and brought them to the movie.  That was all sorts of fun. 

To me, this movie was about one thing.  One story.  A story we are told in For All Debts Public and Private episode of the Sopranos.

We find out the truth and it was fascinating.  I think Many Saints was one big elaborate movie to tell us this one little thing:

Junior Soprano had Dickie Moltisanti whacked.  

It wasn't the cop that retired.  Tony gave that guy up as a sacrifical lamb for two reasons I think.

1.  The cop was probably dirty and working for Tony.  As long as he was a cop, he was useful.  Once he retired, he became a loose end.  He needed to go.  Tony saw an end to a means, or means to an end -- and he used Christopher and his loyalty and love for his father and for himself as a father figure. 

And as the cop said to Christopher, as he sat handcuffed to the balustrade, "you're being set up. I didn't kill your father."  And Christopher says something like, "It doesn't matter.  This man wants you dead."

I think Tony used the cop hoping Christopher would feel closure and honor and straighten himself up.  And of course, number one, clean up anyone who knew too much about him.  Tony was the gun and Christopher was the bullet.

GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ....Watched the Black Widow  on Disney+ last night....I think it's the the 9,000th entry in the Marvel Movie Universe.....it was good, not damn good, but goodish.....it's bloated at over two hours but the action and character interplay made up for it....nice little action flick.....

Black Widow 2021 film - Wikipedia
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Watched Dune. The movie impressed me but it didn't move me.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ...Tracy and I watched a pair of films last night, and it was an interesting coupling...Moana and Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol.2.....lighthearted fare with just enough "in the feels" and adventure to keep our attention .....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...Tracy and I watched a pair of films last night, and it was an interesting coupling...Moana and Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol.2.....lighthearted fare with just enough "in the feels" and adventure to keep our attention .....
    Moana is a fun movie. 😍 
    KurbenGNTLGNT