Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Rewatched, Salem's Lot, I enjoyed it very much, a great cast, and although it's not in the novel I still think Reggie Nalder's Kurt Barlow make up is iconic. This is far better than the Rob Lowe remake even if that one is more faithful to the novel.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven. The 2016 movie. And, in spite of Denzel Washington doing a good job, this is so inferior to the 1960 movie with Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and James Coburn. Not to speak of the original, Kurosawas cineastic masterpiece The Seven Samurai. Still the action sequences were solid which is to expect with Fuqua as director.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesyNotaro
  • The Seven Samurai is legendary. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Peppermint 2018 Movie Review...she's badass!!.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    The Seven Samurai is legendary. 
    And has certainly earned it. IMO one of the best three movies ever made.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyNotaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Custom The Seven Samurai Classic T-shirt By Chilistore - Artistshot
    Great T'shirt!!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesyNotaro
  • CODA on Applet TV+, starring Emilia Jones (Locke & Key) and Marlee Matlin. It wasn't until after the movie was over that I learned the title is an acronym. Highly recommended. This is a wonderful film. Terrific performances. Deaf actors playing deaf characters. The relationship between Matlin and Troy Kotsur is great. Bring tissues.
    Hedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Saw Kill Them All And Come Back Alone. Not recommended. A spaghettiwestern without any of the great Sergio Leones art to it. C-class. But full of influences from The good the bad and the ugly, the magnificent seven and ennio morricone. The acting was mostly a lot of sneers but they were very athletic. 
    Hedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited August 2021
    CODA on Applet TV+, starring Emilia Jones (Locke & Key) and Marlee Matlin. It wasn't until after the movie was over that I learned the title is an acronym. Highly recommended. This is a wonderful film. Terrific performances. Deaf actors playing deaf characters. The relationship between Matlin and Troy Kotsur is great. Bring tissues.
    There are CODA brothers who have a youtube channel and they are pretty interesting. They talk about being children of deaf parents and what that's like growing up.  And they are pretty funny if I remember correctly.  I watched them years ago when I was studying sign language.

I watched an interview with Troy Kotsur the other day that was good.  He just lays it out there talking about deaf people farting and all sorts of stuff.

Dr. Bill Vicars, a professor at San Diego State, has a wonderful online youtube university to learn sign language.  He is h/h, deaf and has a very intensive and thorough presence because he wants more people to learn sign.  Most everything is free.  You can donate and you can take his university classes like he teaches, but you pay for those.   He is funny and very good with his students.

https://www.youtube.com/user/billvicars

Here are the first 100 signs.

Netflix has a great series that follows kids called Deaf U.

There are some really great documentaries on deaf culture.  Fascinating stuff.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • CORRECTION: Dr, Vicars is a professor at California State University Sacramento. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Rewatched, Downfall, a brilliant film documenting Hitler's final days in the bunker. Bruno Ganz is incredible in the role as Hitler, it's a chilling performance. The rest of the cast are also superb, highly recommended.

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    HBO max has Reminiscence — i have till sept 19 to watch it but it looks like a rough one for me, personally.   It’s about going back in past memories. That’s pretty much how i want to spend my time.  Look back, go back, stay back. 

I’ll probably cry. 
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Pig -- what a fascinating film. When I saw the first trailer I thought it was a joke, but it's really good.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • ...from the little bit I've seen and read about it, Nic Cage might actually get some respect for once.....
    BevVincentKurbenHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Last night we watched Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. Dumb fun.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao — one of my favorites, a charming western. 

The Beguiled — the good one with Clint Eastwood. Not that embarrassing crap with Nicole Kidman. 

The Kidman remake should be burned and never seen again. 
  • The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao — one of my favorites, a charming western. 

The Beguiled — the good one with Clint Eastwood. Not that embarrassing crap with Nicole Kidman. 

The Kidman remake should be burned and never seen again. 
    Burn It With Fire GIFs  Tenor
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Watched The Quick And The Dead, a western in spaghetti style with Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe and a young Leonardo DiCaprio. The story is pretty basic, Stone wants revenge on Hackman for her fathers death, but the acting is good. Directed by Sam Raimi. It is never gonna be considered a really good western but i have seen many worse westerns. It worked.
  • Kurben said:
    Watched The Quick And The Dead, a western in spaghetti style with Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe and a young Leonardo DiCaprio. The story is pretty basic, Stone wants revenge on Hackman for her fathers death, but the acting is good. Directed by Sam Raimi. It is never gonna be considered a really good western but i have seen many worse westerns. It worked.
    ...besides, it had Sharon Stone....

Sharon Stone The Quick and The Dead  Sharon stone Western movies Western  women
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenNeesy
  • Rewatched, The Funhouse and Waterworld.

In Funhouse a group of teens get stuck in a ghost train ride overnight and witness a murder, now they have to make it out alive.

Waterworld, the polar ice caps have melted and dry land is now a myth. Tribal groups fight and kill each other for ever dwindling supplies. A young child may hold the secret to the whereabouts of dry land. This was much maligned before it was even released but its actually not that bad movie at all, it has some good action/adventure moments.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    Notaro said:
    Rewatched, The Funhouse and Waterworld.

In Funhouse a group of teens get stuck in a ghost train ride overnight and witness a murder, now they have to make it out alive.

Waterworld, the polar ice caps have melted and dry land is now a myth. Tribal groups fight and kill each other for ever dwindling supplies. A young child may hold the secret to the whereabouts of dry land. This was much maligned before it was even released but its actually not that bad movie at all, it has some good action/adventure moments.

I loved Funhouse. It was sad, creepy, scary, intense and while it was just another horror movie, i actually thought the story was pretty good — i was a teen when i first saw it and i knew people like these kids. I could insert a name from my life into each character. 

I felt sorry for the deformed kid, bullied, abused. Taken advantage of by not only the guy (was that his dad?) but also the old skank.  
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Tried to watch Once Upon A Time In Tombstone. Just Couldnt. Abysmal acting all around. They sounded as involved as paperdolls. They read the lines in the script, they never acted. Some good movies has come out of the Clanton vs Earp fight at the OK Corral but avoid this.
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Had to watch a better western after that disaster of a movie so i watched When The Daltons Rode with Randolph Scott, Broderick Crawford and Andy Devine from 1940. made 80 years earlier than the disaster but also 80 times better.
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Notaro said:

Notaro said:

I loved Funhouse. It was sad, creepy, scary, intense and while it was just another horror movie, i actually thought the story was pretty good — i was a teen when i first saw it and i knew people like these kids. I could insert a name from my life into each character. 

I felt sorry for the deformed kid, bullied, abused. Taken advantage of by not only the guy (was that his dad?) but also the old skank.  
    When you put "Funhouse" and the images from the movie together, they're an oxymoron. 😄 But... well you know the horror n me story. 

Now Waterworld... here is a movie in which we can play together. I loved this,  I always enjoy Kevin Costner. (and not just for the more obvious reasons) He was a jerk to begin with, an understandable jerk but one nevertheless. He came around, I knew he would.
    Plenty of action and just enough love to pull my pathetic rom-com-driven heart 🙄  into the story.

I wish I could dive into deeper waters where monsters live like other people do, but the real monsters have made me stick to the shallows. 
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy